Will this work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well I don't have a huge faith in ebay sellers... but it claims firewire and Mac software, and that would work, if the claims are true. eMac has firewire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
it says Mac and PC, so I dont see a problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Seems okay. The seller is a PowerSeller so thats good too. There are claims it has been tested on a G3 so should be fine.

OP
B

Badger

From checking other sites the drive seems to be fully Mac compatible, and (new) comes with Toast Lite and MCE DVD software. Here's one link to check if you are interested: http://www.esbuy.com/pidv8xexusfo.html. The other sites show selling prices of $190 - $200.
Badger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Padawan said:
I would be VERY careful. Read his recent negative feedback. I had a bad experience with an eBay seller recently, and even though he had very little negative feedback, when I read over them, they were exactly right about what kind of seller he was.

I could not agree more. I don't care how much positive feedback someone has, if they end up with 6 negatives in the last 30 days, well...then I would look somewhere else. That is just too many negatives in too short a time period. Plus, I would take notice of this comment
eBay seller said:
Cannot vouch for compatability on other Macintosh setup
I wonder if he indeed ever tested its compatibility on a Mac at all.
The tech specs should say exactly what MacOS and hardware setup is required and it doesn't. It merely says "..with Mac and PC software".
I would personally steer clear of eBay for anything like that. You are better off getting something from MacMall, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Question? Why is the large picture SO SMALL? Is the seller trying to hide a scratch, worst still a crack? Or it's, in-fact not a PIONEER DRIVE at all!

The whole idea of Firewire on a Mac is 'hot plug-able' Plug'n'Play and not Plug'n'Pray (unlike other platforms) As you get more experience using your Mac, you'll discover few firewire devices actually require software drivers, unless they are Tape Streamers or BlueDVD. Put it this way, if Toast Titanium™ can support it, you can pretty much use it!

Having said that, I'm not 100% sure USB 2.0 works the same as Firewire. I think, for any storage device to work via USB 2.0 you'll need some software. (Please don't quote me on the USB issue, i'm really not sure.)

However, if your buying this DVD Burner to use with iMovies™, forget it. iMovie™ will not support any firewire drive, whether it's CD-Rom or DVD.

iMovies™only support the original Apple SuperDrive™, although they said it's a "SuperDrive", it's not really; the SuperDrive supplied by Apple has their own Firmware on board. When I last tried, you can't just buy a OEM drive and flash Apples' firmware in, the installer won't allow it.

from the Pioneer site

The DVR-107 is Pioneer's first 8x8 dual format writer, meaning it is capable of writing at 8x speed on DVD-R discs whose standard is being ratified in the DVD Forum and +R discs that are designed for this recording speed.* The new drive also records high-speed DVD-RW and +RW discs at up to 4x speed, and CD-R and CD-RW discs at up to 24x speed.

Know your product, don't buy a lemon!

FYI, Manufacture drive specifications:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_17573091_83265402,00.html

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
hype.it said:
Having said that, I'm not 100% sure USB 2.0 works the same as Firewire. I think, for any storage device to work via USB 2.0 you'll need some software. (Please don't quote me on the USB issue, i'm really not sure.)

However, if your buying this DVD Burner to use with iMovies™, forget it. iMovie™ will not support any firewire drive, whether it's CD-Rom or DVD.

iMovies™only support the original Apple SuperDrive™, although they said it's a "SuperDrive", it's not really; the SuperDrive supplied by Apple has their own Firmware on board. When I last tried, you can't just buy a OEM drive and flash Apples' firmware in, the installer won't allow it.

I think you are talking about iDVD, which only works with a superdrive, unless you have the hack. iMovie is not dependent on hardware to work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.