Will my apps work with Yosemite?

Reaction score
I am currently using OSX Mavericks. Will the apps that I use be compatible with Yosemite?
I am particularly concerned about Adobe Creative Suite 5.
Can anyone shed light on this please?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We probably won't know until the final version of Yosemite is released…and software developers tell us. And 3rd party folks compile lists of apps that are & are not compatible with Yosemite.

Since you have questions about CS5…why not go to the Adobe website and check.:) If the info is not there…then maybe Adobe has not released the info yet.

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
All apps that are currently maintained will be updated to work with newer versions of OS X when it is released. Developers have had access to Yosemite for quite a while, so no worries there..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Guys - I just received this OSXDaily bulletin about Prepare Mac for OS Yosemite - was planning to pretty much follow those sets - will check the App store & make sure all of my apps are updated and will then do the usual TM & CCC backups before installation.

But what was not mentioned is making a bootable recovery USB flash drive before installation of the new OS - did that for Mavericks (and we had a lot of discussion back then) - will this be needed for Yosemite? Thanks - Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But what was not mentioned is making a bootable recovery USB flash drive before installation of the new OS - did that for Mavericks (and we had a lot of discussion back then) - will this be needed for Yosemite? Thanks - Dave :)

Bootable USB flash drive installers of 10.7 & 10.8 were pretty straight forward to create. Mavericks was/is more complex…I'm wondering if Yosemite will be even more difficult. I don't know if this increased complexity is a purposeful effort by Apple or not. I guess we will have to see what the process is for Yosemite.

All I can say is…if it is possible to make a bootable USB of Yosemite…I will be making one!:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Dave: I don't make a bootable recovery USB flash drive since I'm already using CCC to make backups. You can always use your CCC backup to install Yosemite again. I've done this before with both Mountain Lion and Mavericks and it has always worked. However, if you feel you need the additional security of having a bootable USB flash drive go ahead and make one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The latest Beta is just like with Mavericks as far as making a USB flash drive installer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
The latest Beta is just like with Mavericks as far as making a USB flash drive installer.

Hi Dennis - thanks for the information which further piqued my interest - found this Macworld Article describing a number of ways to create a bootable 'drive' of the public beta release of Yosemite - assume that the methods will likely apply to the 'official' release - Dave :)

Reaction score
I am currently using OSX Mavericks. Will the apps that I use be compatible with Yosemite?

Yosemite hasn't been released in its final form yet, so no one can tell you for certain. My guess is that most things will work fine, and that there will be updaters for things that don't.

There is a really nice, free database that you can check, that can tell you which versions of what software are compatible with which versions of OS X. It will be updated to include Yosemite once it is released and folks have had a chance to test their software with it:

RoaringApps
RoaringApps - Application compatibility and feature support for OS X and iOS (database)
Application compatibility table - RoaringApps (compatibility table)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Using Yosemite Beta, the only app I have found that does not workafter Mavericks is Memory Clean, and it is debatable the effectiveness of this as some of us file it in the 'snake oil' department.

C

chas_m

If it works under Mavericks, it should work fine under Yosemite. RoaringApps is okay but woefully incomplete on determining an issue (and I've already caught one flat-out error).

I can tell you that Adobe CS3 works under Yosemite, so I would expect CS5 to do so as well. You really should consider upgrading to CS6 while you still can. If you're just using Photoshop, I would strongly suggest the $10/month deal currently being offered. I'm not a fan of subscription software but Photoshop CC is really great, and $10/month means I would have to keep using it for approximately 7.5 years to pay as much as I have for a full copy of Photoshop CS6 at retail -- and the CC version comes with upgrades included (and other stuff).

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
It puts my mind at rest. I shall now just sit back and wait for Yosemite.
On the subject of upgrading to Adobe CS6, I fear it would be too expensive for me as I have Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign in CS5. The three would push the price way up high.
Best regards
Huguenot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.