Wifi Issues in Bootcamp

Reaction score
I have a MBP with Yosemite and Bootcamp running Windows 7 installed. My problem is that no matter how many wifi drivers I try in Windows I cannot get the wireless card to pull up any networks. It works fine in OS X, sees all networks and connects with a strong signal.

But when I switch to Windows here's what happens:
I can see the wifi bars down in the system tray but when I highlight and click it nothing pops up... When I hover the cursor over the bars it highlights and when I click it, the symbol depresses like its being pressed but no network list pops up at all... Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? I'm thinking it might be a compatibility issue between Yosemite and Bootcamp/Windows 7? I have downloaded and installed the latest bootcamp wifi drivers and still no go... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no compatibility issue between Yosemite and Windows 7. If you ran the Boot Camp Assistant utility, downloaded the drivers from Apple and installed them, then you should be able to use WiFi in Windows 7. Have you opened Control Panel, System, in Windows 7 and looked at the hardware tree? What does it show for your WiFi card?

From your description above, it sounds like your WiFi in Windows 7 is working. I haven't used Windows 7 for several years and am rusty on how to bring up networks. In XP it was easy, I just did a search for networks from the connect wizard and it immediately showed me all the networks that were available. Have you tried doing that in Windows 7?

OP
I
Reaction score
Yes, I have checked the hardware in Device Manager and it says the Wifi card (Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter) is there, installed and "working properly". Yet, as I described above, I cannot see any networks available- it doesn't give me the list of available networks like it should.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about trying to use the Windows 7 connection wizard? Like I said above, I haven't run Window 7 for several years so I don't remember how I got it to connect from when I had it in Boot Camp. All I can remember is that it connected right away with no problems. If the hardware tree shows your WiFi adapter working OK, then it's not a driver or hardware problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.