WiFi connection issue in closed-display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2015 MBPr OS 10.13.1
I found this issue in a post dated back to 2015, and was hoping a solution had been found since then...

When I mount my Mid-2015 MBPr into a Henge Vertical dock, I lose WiFi connectivity. It SAYS it's connected, but webpages won't load... at all.

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.1 and attached to the dock is a LG 29" UltraWide (via MiniDP to HDMI cable), a Seagate 2 TB ext. HD for TM (Via TB2 to FW800 adapter, yes I changed the cable that came with the dock), a Belkin USB 2 hub (unpowered), attached to the hub is a MS Natural keyboard, a generic wireless mouse, and another Seagate 4TB USB 3 ext. HD.

When I pull the cables out of the dock and plug directly into my laptop and run it with the laptop open, everything is fine, it's just when I close it and mount it in the dock.

I've run the CloudCheck app right next to the laptop is says I'm getting 63 MB/sec with a 0.1sec ping.

Ideas?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Just a WAG here... but it seems like something is interfering with your WiFi signal when you close your MacBook Pro and place it in the Henge dock. If your router is a dual band device, select the lower band (2.4 GHz) first to see if that makes a difference or go to the 5 GHz band if you're already using 2.4 GHz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
When I mount my Mid-2015 MBPr into a Henge Vertical dock, I lose WiFi connectivity. It SAYS it's connected, but webpages won't load... at all.

Are you sure its connected to the WAN and its server, and not just your LAC "connection"???

And if it's really needed, I wonder if any older utility could help like:
InsomniaX or Sleepless

And have you checked with the dock support and maybe something's missing as doesn't a display and/or keyboard have to be attached/connected normally to prevent sleep mode when the lid is shut???

But why not have a read here first and try the suggestion on the URL link via:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5838483?tstart=0

- Patrick
======

OP
fnoflyfish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2015 MBPr OS 10.13.1
Thanks, Patrick. Found the file easy enough. I'll get the dock put back together this evening and see if it has solved the problem!

OP
fnoflyfish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2015 MBPr OS 10.13.1
Well... so far... so good. We'll see if this is the magic bullet, but things are working much better now! Thanks to all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well... so far... so good. We'll see if this is the magic bullet, but things are working much better now! Thanks to all.

Good to know thanks, but I really don't know what the connection would be as per that suggestion to delete the "Bluetooth.plist" file. Unless you're using some sort of BT wireless router for your Wi-Fi and 'net access.

Oh well.. :D

- Patrick
======

OP
fnoflyfish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2015 MBPr OS 10.13.1
.... so... the gremlin is back. It must have something to do with the unit "going to sleep". If I had more time, which I currently don't, then I would probably have fun troubleshooting the problem. So... the Henge dock is going back... and I'm bummed as I really thought that it filled a need AND looked sexy as ****.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If it's a sleep problem change the settings. I don't let the CPU sleep, just the display. That way the CPU responds to the network "Are you there?" queries every time and therefore the network never shuts down the connection from the network end. System Preferences/Energy, set the CPU to "never."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.