Wierd looking desktops? How to customize?

Reaction score
Hey,

I keep seeing people with customized desktops and all that cool stuff and I was wondering how you could do that. I've seen one person make leopard look like a mix between OSX and Windows... Thought it was pretty cool.
Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Thanks
L

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
I don't really get what you're saying but...

Do you mean desktop backgrounds?

To change your desktop background to a Apple default background, step by step:

1.) Go to system preferences

2.) Under personal, it will list several icons. These include Appearance, Dock, Spotlight, and so forth. The one you want is second in the list. It will say 'Desktop & Screen savers'

3.) It should already be on Desktop (by default)

4.) There will be two drop down bars that will say 'Apple' and 'iPhoto libraries'.

5.) Click on one of the above.

6.) Go to the category that interests you. The categories are: Apple images; Nature; Plants; Black and White; Abstract; and a Folder tagged as 'Picture Folder'

7.) Click an image that appeals to you.

8.) Simply click on it. Voila. :)

If you want a custom image, you will find the image you want somewhere, such as the internet. You will 'right click' this image. You can right click by either pressing the one click mouse, and pressing control at the same time, or by going to system preferences and changing your mouse options there (I'm not going to get into the details of that). A small menu will appear, and prompt you to select an option. There should be one that says 'Make desktop background'. Click this, and, voila.

I don't know what you mean by a 'cross' of leopard and windows, I think you might mean bootcamp program running? I'm sure you could find a picture like this on the net, if you really wanted to make it look like a mac was running windows...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I think he means the icons maybe? There are a few things out there to help you do that - CandyBar is the only one I can think of right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
I think he means the icons maybe? There are a few things out there to help you do that - CandyBar is the only one I can think of right now.

Hmm, that makes sense.

The word used in the title, Desktop, fooled me into thinking he/she meant the desktop background image, not dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Hmm, that makes sense.

The word used in the title, Desktop, fooled me into thinking he/she meant the desktop background image, not dock.

Not just the dock either. The whole OS theme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD
Lex, the screenshot you put up is looks like some distro of Linux, not OS X. Linux is pretty much totally configurable.

I'm not sure on this totally; but I don't think you can change the theme in Leopard...you can in Tiger with ShapeShifter, though.

There are, though, programs that enable you to change your dock, and most (if not all) icons are also replaceable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.5.6
You can change the theme, dock and icons in Leopard. I myself use a program called Magnifique to change my theme. But Magnifique dosn't change icons and the dock. I use Candybar for the icons and DockChanger or Dock Library to change the dock. You just download the docks and icons from the internet. I'ts really easy and it look really nice.

Download links:
Magnifique: Magnifique - Choose Your Weapon - Free Theming App for OS X Leopard
DockChanger: Search for it on google.
Dock Library: Search for it on google.
CandyBar: Search for it on google.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.