Wi-Fi connection issue on Yosemite?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 (10.10.1), iPad Air 2, iPhone 5s.
Hello, everyone.

I am having issues connecting to Wi-Fi at a hotel on my Mac Mini. My iPad and iPhone have a solid connection, but for some reason I can’t get my Mac Mini to connect! When I go to Network Preferences, I receive this message “Wi-Fi has self assigned IP address… and will not connect to the internet.” I am currently running Yosemite, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the issue. Somebody please help! Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried using the "assist me" option when setting up the connection from the Mini? If not, give it a try.

C

chas_m

Does this happen when you try to set up the Mac mini at home or at some other location?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried using the "assist me" option when setting up the connection from the Mini? If not, give it a try.

Yes, I've tried that. It doesn't give me any fixes other than tell me to reset my router ( which I can't because it's the hotel router) and to set my location to "Automatic" which I did.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does this happen when you try to set up the Mac mini at home or at some other location?

This only happens at the hotel that I am currently staying. It works fine with my Wi-Fi at home. Very frustrating to say the least.

C

chas_m

My first guess would be that this hotel has a limit on the number of devices each room is allowed to connect to the Wi-Fi. This limit appears to be two.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My first guess would be that this hotel has a limit on the number of devices each room is allowed to connect to the Wi-Fi. This limit appears to be two.

I agree. I'll put your theory to the test tonight. Thanks again!

M

MacInWin

OR, it could be that at home the setup is for fixed IP, so when you get to the hotel, it tries to use that same IP and cannot as the hotel uses DHCP and dynamic IP. Longshot, but I've seen it before.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OR, it could be that at home the setup is for fixed IP, so when you get to the hotel, it tries to use that same IP and cannot as the hotel uses DHCP and dynamic IP. Longshot, but I've seen it before.

Do you have a solution for this scenario?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finally got it to work some how. I disconnected my iPad from the Wi-Fi and tried to join again with the Mac Mini, but it only held a connection for less than a minute. Then I tried the "Join other network.." option and typed the name of the Wi-Fi, and now I have a good connection. We'll see how long this lasts. Thanks again for the help!

M

MacInWin

Do you have a solution for this scenario?
You can check it by going to System Preferences/Network and click on the WiFi connection (when you are connected), then Advanced and TCP/IP In the Configure IPv4 box it should say "Using DHCP" for dynamic IPs.

But from what you said you did to get connected, it's probably set that way anyway.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also I am going to bring this up because it's no matter what the "Mac is PERFECT" people say is there with some Macs and some routers.

Which version of Yosemite? 10.10.0, 10.10.1? There is a known WiFi issue with Yosemite. 10.10.1 was supposed to fix it but still some people have had connection issues and connection drops. 10.10.2 is due out pretty soon with another fix for Yosemite's WiFi.

If you are using 10.10.0 (The very first release of Yosemite, run software update and update to .1 as that did fix it for many.

Just a though.

I am on the Beta Team and a 2nd .2 beta just came down and we were asked to try WiFi and report back if there were any more issues.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can check it by going to System Preferences/Network and click on the WiFi connection (when you are connected), then Advanced and TCP/IP In the Configure IPv4 box it should say "Using DHCP" for dynamic IPs.

But from what you said you did to get connected, it's probably set that way anyway.

I went into Network Settings and changed the configuration to DHCP with manual address, typed in the IP address as it was shown in the previous configuration and the Wi-Fi seems to be working fine. I will report back if anything changes, but I believe (with all of your help) the issue has been resolved.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also I am going to bring this up because it's no matter what the "Mac is PERFECT" people say is there with some Macs and some routers.

Which version of Yosemite? 10.10.0, 10.10.1? There is a known WiFi issue with Yosemite. 10.10.1 was supposed to fix it but still some people have had connection issues and connection drops. 10.10.2 is due out pretty soon with another fix for Yosemite's WiFi.

If you are using 10.10.0 (The very first release of Yosemite, run software update and update to .1 as that did fix it for many.

Just a though.

I am on the Beta Team and a 2nd .2 beta just came down and we were asked to try WiFi and report back if there were any more issues.

I am currently using version 10.10.1 of Yosemite. Even before .1, I wasn't having any issues at home with the Wi-Fi. I believe it is just the hotel being greedy with the number of devices allowed, or just a bad connection in the building (or a combination of both since the problem has been intermittent.) I hope with the current configuration that I should be gtg! Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Cool it's working. I brought up that issue just in case. Good going.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.