Wi Fi, 3G, or Wi FI + 3G?

Reaction score
Just a little question guys, don't freak out please :Oops:

I know there is already a Poll that includes the question "Would you buy the iPad, if yes with or without 3G" but I wanted to ask you this: do you think there is a real need for the 3G on the iPad?

For example I already have an iPhone (like many of us I suspect), and it's enough to access things I really need an access for on the go (check my emails, traffic, where the heck I am when I'm lost, etc.). Steve Jobs spent some time on the Keynote talking about how cool Maps is on that big screen. I personally only use maps when I have to go somewhere and make sure I'm going the right direction.

I just wonder if the extra dollars are worth it or not if it's just to be able to check your emails or browse internet (not always at great speed) on the go?

From the few we know about the iPad I think I wouldn't get the 3G. Just my PERSONAL OPINION!

Thanks for your attention!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Ok, good for you?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Ok, good for you?

I agree.

It comes down to an individual cost benefit analysis. I've been asking myself the same question, and though I believe I will probably eventually want 3G, I'm leaning toward going with the entry level iPad so I can ease my itching palms, and plan on upgrading when it goes through the next product refresh. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Right back at ya. So you won't get the 3G, congratulations. Why does this deserve its own thread? Why not just comment in one that's been around for a while and is at the very top of the iPad subforum, so it's not like you could miss it:

Will you buy an iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Kash moves in for the kill... :)

OP
V
Reaction score
Right back at ya. So you won't get the 3G, congratulations. Why does this deserve its own thread? Why not just comment in one that's been around for a while and is at the very top of the iPad subforum, so it's not like you could miss it:

Will you buy an iPad?

Are you bored at work today? Seriously, don't bother reading the thread and commenting on it if you don't like it. I asked people's opinion on whether or not they think that the 3G is a must have or not.

Do you comment on the other threads (that means all of them) of that sort on that forum as well?

P.S. Are you gonna go for the 3G if you get an iPad? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
I am leaning towards just wi-fi, for the same reasons as the OP - I already have the iPhone for when I need to be connected and there isn't wifi available.

The only thing that makes me hesitate is the addition of GPS on the 3G version - that could be useful on trips and stuff... and the fact that you can get the 3G connectivity just for a month at a time with no contract is pretty sweet...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 4
Its not just the price to upgrade to 3g also you'll need to pay for the service... It all depends if your willing to do that because then I think its worth it. I use GPS on my phone a lot.

OP
V
Reaction score
Its not just the price to upgrade to 3g also you'll need to pay for the service... It all depends if your willing to do that because then I think its worth it. I use GPS on my phone a lot.

Same here. I use the GPS on my iPhone.

Do you know how much it would cost to get the 3G service? That sounds even less useful since we already pay with the iPhone...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 4
Same here. I use the GPS on my iPhone.

Do you know how much it would cost to get the 3G service? That sounds even less useful since we already pay with the iPhone...

It'll be 14.99 for up to 250 MB. And 29.99 for unlimited... which isn't that bad at all.

Edit:
Assuming you're in the US...

OP
V
Reaction score
It'll be 14.99 for up to 250 MB. And 29.99 for unlimited... which isn't that bad at all.

Edit:
Assuming you're in the US...

Yes I'm in the U.S. Ah, I don't know if it's worth having the 3G in addition to the 3G on the iPhone you know...

Reaction score
I'll buy the one with 3g, likely the more expensive unlimited version too. I live in an area in which "just Wi-Fi" practically means "almost always no internet". So the 3g is a must, even if that means a lot of my money goes to sustaining 2 internet devices, the iphone and ipad.

Reaction score
It is interesting because I assume the 3G would be great for using the Maps feature and having a bigger screen to look at for directions and navigation. However, that would pose a problem of viewing and map and driving when the iPhone is so much more readily available handheld.

It would help people who aren't around a WiFi connection however how many times is there not a WiFi connection relatively close to you at this point? And what are the data plans going to be for this? I remember when I was considering a 3G netbook, AT&T preached unlimited data for 50-60 dollars a month and then let me know that if I went over something like 3 gb, they would start charging. Probably not an issue for the iPad as there isn't too much downloading but still something to keep in mind.

OP
V
Reaction score
It is interesting because I assume the 3G would be great for using the Maps feature and having a bigger screen to look at for directions and navigation. However, that would pose a problem of viewing and map and driving when the iPhone is so much more readily available handheld.

It would help people who aren't around a WiFi connection however how many times is there not a WiFi connection relatively close to you at this point? And what are the data plans going to be for this? I remember when I was considering a 3G netbook, AT&T preached unlimited data for 50-60 dollars a month and then let me know that if I went over something like 3 gb, they would start charging. Probably not an issue for the iPad as there isn't too much downloading but still something to keep in mind.

You get a point. Considering the fact that you cannot not have a Wi Fi connection everywhere you go or 3G connection everywhere you go, maybe it's best to have both lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB
If I were to get one, I would get a WIFI only one.

As a student, the university has WIFI all over Campus, were I to use it there
My flat has decent 20MB broadband anyway
My iPhone would provide the 3G element when neither of those is available.

I guess this is because I am still trying to find a niche for the iPad in my own life, and the only way I can ever justify it is with the lowest entry version (and cost) But I still can't quite justify it since I have a smartphone, a laptop and a desktop.

Maybe I'm too sensible or close-minded for my own good :(

OP
V
Reaction score
If I were to get one, I would get a WIFI only one.

As a student, the university has WIFI all over Campus, were I to use it there
My flat has decent 20MB broadband anyway
My iPhone would provide the 3G element when neither of those is available.

I guess this is because I am still trying to find a niche for the iPad in my own life, and the only way I can ever justify it is with the lowest entry version (and cost) But I still can't quite justify it since I have a smartphone, a laptop and a desktop.

Maybe I'm too sensible or close-minded for my own good :(

Nah you are just all of us: you are already convinced that you should get one but wonder now what to do with it :D

I already have my iPhone for the 3G but it would be nice also to be able to check emails, internet etc. on a bigger screen...:Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB
I see what you mean.

With regards to the the 3G, I just can't imagine needing it where I can't readily get WIFI. I would only use the 3G when I'm on the go, and for that my phone will do!

The problem of cost is a major issue for me. If I were to get the gen 1 iPad and the gen 2 was so much better... I would be less annoyed if I had spent less on the gen 1 version, rather than 'investing' in a 3G version. Added to the cost of the 3G contract itself, and things begin to get expensive!

OP
V
Reaction score
I see what you mean.

With regards to the the 3G, I just can't imagine needing it where I can't readily get WIFI. I would only use the 3G when I'm on the go, and for that my phone will do!

The problem of cost is a major issue for me. If I were to get the gen 1 iPad and the gen 2 was so much better... I would be less annoyed if I had spent less on the gen 1 version, rather than 'investing' in a 3G version. Added to the cost of the 3G contract itself, and things begin to get expensive!

I know the iPad is pretty expensive but people are saying that Apple could lower the price of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Please explain how the ipad is expensive? I don't see how it's expensive really? I think it's a fair price myself. Mind you at the higher edge of fair but still fair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.