Why is my Music folder loading?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

For some reaosn when I open up my Music forlder for the first time after a boot up or whatever it takes a while to show up. I have to wait for it to load and this never happened before, well not on Lion.

It takes about 30 senconds or more to load up before showing up whats in the folder.

Anyone having this issue? How did you solve it?

Bottom right hand coner of the folder is the loading logo. This never happened before and I haven't added any new songs. Never happened on Lion.

2012-08-03104547am.png

I just did a Disk Ultility verify permission scan and I had a few things that were wrong. I did the repair, but my Music folder still loading up.

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

How many files do you have in that folder? If there are a lot, it might take a while to go through them. I see this with my music folder that's sitting on a remote NAS. The first time I load up the folder, I usually get the loading sign before the contents are shown. Once the loading happens, it is fast until I disconnect and re-connect to the NAS again..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How many files do you have in that folder? If there are a lot, it might take a while to go through them.
Absolutely but this number would have to be huge for it to take 30 seconds. For instance, my music folder has 389 folders and loads in a fraction of a second. For it to take 30 seconds, there'd have to be a terrible combination of slow processor speed and a large number of folders.

This is complicated further by the fact that this is ML specific. Did you upgrade or do a fresh install? What are the specs of your machine?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Absolutely but this number would have to be huge for it to take 30 seconds. For instance, my music folder has 389 folders and loads in a fraction of a second. For it to take 30 seconds, there'd have to be a terrible combination of slow processor speed and a large number of folders.

This is complicated further by the fact that this is ML specific. Did you upgrade or do a fresh install? What are the specs of your machine?

Very true Van, since all my music is on the NAS that I have to connect over the WiFi, having to wait about 10 seconds for things to load is totally normal for me. All the other directories on my Mac load up immediately, I suppose the music folder should be no different, at least in Finder..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Theoretically it should but we wouldn't have help forums if theoreticals always came true, haha.

HeavyComponent, is it only the music folder? Do you have any other folder with a lot of folders to test?

OP
HeavyComponent
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys!

To answer Your questions.

Specs: (I don't know from the top of my head, but should be right.)
2.4Ghz
8GB of RAM
500GB HDD space

I didn't do a clean install, I just upgraded straight from my Lion.

I have over 3000 and under 6000 songs in the Music folder. Yes this is the only folder that this happens in. I don't think it matters how many songs or in my case I don't think I have that much. Again, this never happened on Lion and I have about the same amount of songs from the time I upgraded.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.