Why is my Macbook Pro repeatedly flashing a black screen after login?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro (13-inc, Late 2011). Processor is 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5. Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB. I recently updated to OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.

When my desktop appears after log in, right after the dock begins to slide up into position, my screen begins flashing black about every 2 seconds. Strangely, the command bar across the top of the screen remains intact and functional, but the background is flashing to black. The dock at this point has also disappeared and is inaccessible. When I log in as the guest user or as a user other than the administrator, this issue is not present.

I've tried resetting the PRAM, I've tried starting in Safe mode, but the problem persists. I've tried connecting to an external display, but then the issue just appears on both no matter what configuration I try. Help!

The last thing I did on the computer before this happened was to install Microsoft Office for Mac, although I don't know how that might be related to a display issue like this.

One other curious thing to note...if I go to Desktop & Screen Saver under System Preferences, I can change the background, still. In fact, if I check the box that says "Change Picture", then no matter what the interval of time I choose, it changes the picture every time the screen flashes back from black.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If I'm understanding things correctly…it's possible that a System Preference may have been accidentally triggered/changed (this can happen if a specific key combination is pressed).

- Go to System Preferences
- Universal Access (or Accessibility)

With the "Seeing" tab selected…in the "Display" section of the window…see if "White on Black" is selected…instead of "Black on White".

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Problem solved

After getting in touch with Apple Support, they suggested that since my other user logins did not experience the issue, I should just switch to (or create) another user ID, make it an administrator, and then delete the user which was having the issue.

I tried it today and it seems to be working like a charm. I did have to save my files on an external hard drive before deleting the user that was having the problems.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the update.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.