• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why is everyone so against gaming on the Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Mods - if you have to delete it, delete it, but this post is totally 100% relative to this conversation.

I have L4D2. I have it downloaded from Steam on two different installs on one computer. It's a desktop with an OC'ed i7-920 at 3.8ghz that runs steadily under 60c while under load. It has 6GB of RAM and an Nvidia GTX 295 with nearly 2GB of memory.

Under windows I can run L4D2 at 2560x1600 on my 30" monitor with all settings jacked up as high as possible. The largest resolution available for OS X is something like 20xx on the long end and it lags horribly.

That's the most graphically intensive game I've tried on OS X, other programs like video editing programs for my Canon 5D MKII's 1080p files work fine.

I agree with you on L4D2, it lags horrendously bad, even on the 9600. But, I do remember reading somewhere about there being a bad compatibility of the steam version running on mac, and that a new update will help. Haven't seen it yet...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
cost, lack of support, lack of upgradability, etc.

gaming machines are the machines you build yourself, and will have to be upgraded every few years.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
gaming machines are the machines you build yourself, and will have to be upgraded every few years.

Correct you need to upgrade them every few years, but most gamers want to and do upgrade them every 6 months or so. Even when there is no need to do so.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Correct you need to upgrade them every few years, but most gamers want to and do upgrade them every 6 months or so. Even when there is no need to do so.

That's only for the people that have money to burn. >_>" I haven't upgraded my gaming rig in 5 years. I finally broke down and got two HD 5850s.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A Mac is just fine for the casual gamer. As one of those whom consistently recommends building a Win box, have to say, a Mac is not just fine for a hardcore gamer / hardware enthusiast.

Village & Crimson have basically hit the nail on the head here. The true enthusiasts in this field, number 1, want access to the motherboard. They're going to at least be playing with overclocking. Show me that on a Mac. They're not interested in having the game run "ok".

Anyone that comes around and first post says their primary use is gaming or mentions they are a gamer... Half of them are just trolling, a quarter of them are not really hardcore gamers and a quarter of them are. The ones that are looking at buying a $700-$1000 off the shelf system or talking about a $100 video card in their home built system and comparing that to a Mac - those folks are not hardcore gamers by any stretch of the imagination and a Mac would suit them just fine... as long as the games they're interested in are available for OS X... These people are not "gamers". They are just people that play games on their computer. Kind of like my wife.

Someone says they are a gamer, I'm going to take them at their word. Not my job to try and second guess them or have them define what that term means to them. As much as I like OS X, it's my personal opinion, that if someone is going to be required to reboot the machine into Windows to play their particular assortment of games, they should be buying a Windows machine and not a Mac.

And as much as I like OS X and my iOS devices, which receive 90% of my computing time today, I personally take issue with a lot of things Mac. It's sort of funny. I have this sticky on connecting your Mac to a TV. Yet, my Macs have not touched a TV in over 2 years. I built a Win7 machine for that.

I've been looking at buying another computer for over 6 months now. I'd really like it to be a Mac instead of building another rig. But, OS X cannot do one of the primary uses I have in mind for the rig I want sitting back in the office. My HTPC could move back to the office and be totally adequate with just an upgrade to the video card and a sound card. Then replace it with what, a mini??? Not happening. It sends a chill up my spine everytime I even consider it.

I've been helping folks purchase the best computer based on their personal uses and their price range now for 15 years. And I take it pretty seriously. What "I" happen to like, only comes into play minimally. Most of the folks that I help out don't have much money, and assisting them in getting the best hardware as possible with the money they have is my top priority. I've been at least half broke most of my life, and for a lot of people out there, a computer purchase is a major investment when they have to go out on a limb and finance a $700-$1000+ toy. Yep, toy. That to me is what a computer still is today for a great many people.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Another excellent post bob.
But I would argue an casual gamer is still a gamer. Just a totally different breed to a hardcore gamer. And I am with you, I'd never recommend an Apple computer to a hardcore gamer.

I can take myself as an example. I pay games enough. And the most technical game spec wise I have played in years in Starcraft 2. I play a lot of casual games and a lot of older games. I would call myself a casual gamer. Well apart from WoW which I play a lot, but yeah that game will run on almost anything.

I think the recent popularity to iOS games is a good case in point. 95% of iOS games are casual. But I know many many people who are addicted to them. And play them over and over. Bleeding edge gamers they are not. But addicted to the casual games they are in a bug way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.