Why does Ventura notify me that my external hard drive has not been removed correctly?

Reaction score
I never have that problem on Ventura but I am on an M1 MBP. I occurs to me that Ventura was really designed with the SoC generation of Macs in mind and has some significant differences when run on an Intel Mac. I can only imagine these differences will increase in subsequent macOS releases.
I'm on an M1 and I have the same problem on Monterey. It is pretty random. I just ignore it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm on an M1 and I have the same problem on Monterey. It is pretty random. I just ignore it.

This page URL provides a list of possible causes and also provides some possible solutions:
Fix 'Disk Not Ejected Properly' on Mac That Keeps Popping Up

I would be very suspicious of connecting cable ends especially if they've been plugged and unplugged several multiple times over the years.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This question seems to be popping up quite a bit. I have a Samsung SSD and a Transcend HDD connected to my 14" M1 MBP running Ventura 13.2 and this never happens to me.
What I have noticed is that the activity lights on the external drives never go off even when the MBP is sleeping.
So, I wondered if your devices are simply unmounted. Do they still appear in Disk Utility, can they be remounted from there?

It certainly appears that this is a recurring problem and one user had a novel solution. Simply do not allow the device to go to sleep. Set to "Never" in sleep timer and use a Screen Saver instead but he was using a Mac Mini. This may not be practical with a MBP/MBA but it is a workaround.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This page URL provides a list of possible causes and also provides some possible solutions:
Fix 'Disk Not Ejected Properly' on Mac That Keeps Popping Up
It doesn't keep popping up. It just happens every once in a while. My drives are plugged into a hub and I think moving the hub the wrong way can cause it. It is so infrequent I don't worry about it. I only posted to point out it isn't unique to Ventura

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It doesn't keep popping up. It just happens every once in a while. My drives are plugged into a hub and I think moving the hub the wrong way can cause it. It is so infrequent I don't worry about it. I only posted to point out it isn't unique to Ventura
I was referring to the number of people with the same problem on this forum not your good self there.:oops:

Rich K

Reaction score
I’ve been having the same problem with my M1 iMac 24”, since upgrading to Ventura. First time I’m receiving this error notice on a regular basis on any of my Macs, dating back to a Mac II running System 6.5. Happens almost every time the iMac awakes from a “nap”. External drives are a combo of WD and Seagate drives, all in external LaCie Thunderbolt cases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Happens almost every time the iMac awakes from a “nap”.
Keep the CPU ticking over, don't let it sleep. Let the screen go black, but don't let the CPU sleep when that happens. What is going on is that if the CPU is sleeping, the drives don't get any signals, so they go to sleep as well. When the CPU is awakened, it queries the drives, but they are asleep and before they can wake up and report in, the system has moved on and declared them disconnected. Happens with any drive, any enclosure. SSDs are a bit faster to wake up, but even they can miss the boat if the boot process of the support board in the enclosure is too slow to get the interface active. And the issue is not unique to Ventura, I've seen it for years, going back to maybe Big Sur, or even earlier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.