Why does restarting my iMac RESET all of my Desktop's Background Pictures?

Reaction score
Hey group,

I've noticed something that really kind of irks me (and I noticed this back when I was running Catalina, and now Big Sur), and that is the fact that when I restart my computer, the custom pictures I've assigned to certain Desktops get reset to the "Default" picture/graphic for whatever OS I'm running.

I'm a very visual person, and I like putting similar things together on the same desktop to keep things organized (ie: Word Docs on one desktop, Excel on another, YouTube on another, Twitter on another, Photoshop on another, etc.)....and as such, I select the backgrounds for said Desktops to denote what that Desktop holds (so even if I have open program windows on that desktop, I can tell by the background picture, what that Desktop has on it). For instance, for a Desktop devoted to a YouTube browser window(s), I might select a big YouTube Icon, so even if there are windows open on that Desktop, when I 4-finger-swipe Up to see all of my Desktops along the top of my screen, I can clearly see the background/Desktop easily (like a picture frame, if you will), and go straight to that Desktop. Same for the other windows.

While it doesn't take a BUNCH of time to set each Desktop background to a specific picture, it is somewhat infuriating that the OS can't remember that I did, in fact, take the time to do this, and remember to leave things as-is when it restarts.

I mean, is this too much to ask.
The OS remembers every program and window I had open when I shut the machine down (or the power fails), and opens up all of those again when it restarts, so why can't it remember what all of my Desktop Background pictures are, and just leave them alone?

Anybody know why this is happening, and/or how to prevent it?

Thanks,

J.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok, this is weird.
After just restarting again, it appears that the (Big Sur) OS, is actually, remembering my background pictures.
Don't know what changed, but will consider the problem "fixed/solved" (unless it happens again).
Was going to just delete the post altogether, but apparently this forum won't allow me to do that (at least I can't find a way to do that).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into System Preferences < Screen Saver and Desktop> and unclick the autochange if this has been activated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Was going to just delete the post altogether, but apparently this forum won't allow me to do that (at least I can't find a way to do that).

We do not delete posts that have value as yours does. If there is something about a post you made that you want deleted, contact a moderator by PM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.