Why does my Notifications menu have so many options?

Reaction score
On my Mac, System Settings/Notifications shows a lot of notifications that don't make sense to me.

I have two notifications for "Opera", and one for "St. Louis Post-Dispatch". I have no idea why I ever would have an app connecting to that paper.

These are turned off. But why does my Mac think I need those options (and a lot more).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Opera is a browser, I have no idea why it should want to notify you of anything. But the paper one is probably from a time when you went to the paper's website to read something. It then reqested to have access to notify you of whatever breaking news it thought you might be interested in reading. Lots of websites do that. A lot of apps also think they shoule have access, so they request it and the request ends up in the listing in Settings. Just say no to whatever you don't want to see. You can't make them stop asking, but you can say no.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Bottom line here is your Mac does not "think" anything, it simply responds to your actions/permissions/commands. Unfortunately once an app/utility is installed a notification option is added if the app has that feature, it will ask the first time you launch the app if you want notifications and how. It cannot be removed from the list without removing the app/utility itself but you can turn them off. I have 59 in my Notification Centre, most of which are off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.