Why Did You Switch?

OP
M

malt

shadov said:
You have 3 computers AND a gf !! Wow! :)
Haha, you think that's bad, I have two Macs, one Pc, one Wife, one 2-year-old Daughter. Talk about busy, heh heh, I sleep about 3 hour a night. :p

OP
R

RobDreugan

I've been building my own PC systems since 93, and never really had any complaints until recent when I really wanted to get serious about digital video. Sure, I could use avid, premiere, or whatever on the PC, but honestly there's a pretty big shift towards making final cut pro 4 an industry standard for editing.

That and I needed a pretty **** fast computer, this was the time to switch. I still haven't maxed out what this computer can do, render wise, but I'm looking forward to do it soon ;).

(gunna make myself learn after effects in a couple months)

OP
S

silentraven

I've had a PC all my life (21 years now). I started building my own when i was 6. My dad always taught me that I should love my PC...and that Apple Computers were bad. So i started to believe that. I had never used one, but i found myself bashing Apple just because my dad didnt like them. I remember finding Apple stickers in Jr. High and sticking them to stuff and then crossing them out. Now, I've also been an artist all my life, and have used several programs on the PC for it, including Photoshop when it first came out (i forgot what it was called then). A few years ago I started attending The Art Institute of California - Los Angeles, and had my first experiance with a Mac. I dreaded going to class when we were in the Mac lab. But a few weeks went by and I didnt' mind as much. Then a few more weeks by, and I had forgotten that the PC lab existed. I would go to the Mac lab on my free time between classes. I still had a PC at home though. Then in January 2003, I started working at a company called Gefen, Inc. (which some of you may be familiar with, if not go to www.gefen.com). Using a Mac there became essential. When the 3G iPods were announced, I got one that night from the Apple store. When the G5s were announced, I went home that day and ordered myself the Dual 2Ghz w/Radeon 9800 and all that good stuff. Had to wait months to get it, but when i did, I was really happy. A few days after receiving it, i bought myself the 23" Cinema Display. I cant imagine using anything else now.

Reaction score
got ya beat!

malt said:
Haha, you think that's bad, I have two Macs, one Pc, one Wife, one 2-year-old Daughter. Talk about busy, heh heh, I sleep about 3 hour a night. :p

Ha! You think thats bad. I got 2 PC's, an Xbox, my Powerbook g4, a wife, a step daughter just about my age ( my wifes older), 5 dogs, 2 cats and her visiting family! i DON'T sleep!

The BIG DOG says **!BARK!** SIT!
Bishop

OP
M

Mr.Guvernment

jasonbishop73 said:
Ha! You think thats bad. I got 2 PC's, an Xbox, my Powerbook g4, a wife, a step daughter just about my age ( my wifes older), 5 dogs, 2 cats and her visiting family! i DON'T sleep!

The BIG DOG says **!BARK!** SIT!
Bishop

lol

well since we are including everything

5 pc's
2 laptops
1 PS2
and a G/f a cat and a new puppy

:D

lol

Anyways - as for the person who needs speed - did you consider a dual Opteron System?

i am considering building one myself - and so far the pro vs a G5 are up there. - i am just waiting till next year to see about DDR II and PCI Express.

It is hard to find a dual opteron vs G5 comaprision - why is it Apple does not do any? :D - i guess the same reason they dont bench agains AMD XP or FX's ?

:D

OP
P

pooquey

I don't know if switched is the right word...

It's more like integrate. I've been a pc user ( meaning x86 not windoze) since they existed. I've been a professional (ie.e I get paid to fiddle with em in one way or another) for going on 10 years. My current job dictates that we use Linux at work (well not really, but it's a lot more convenient) so that is what I've been using primarily for the past 4 years. I was running windows at home because I have to share my systems with my linux-oblivious husband. I finally got fed up with virii and random crashes, inconvenient slow downs, syncing with linux, etc and moved over to 'nix at home ( the training sessions for the hubby have been painful ;-)), but I still needed a mobile solution. Long story short, rather than pay a reputable x86 manufacturer $200 for a windows OS that I was just going to delete, I went with my powerbook because it already had the linux/bsd capabilities I need installed. OS X is fabulous, but my real need was mobile computing for programming, music production, and graphic design without having to convert files and the powerbook does this right out of the box. Bonus for few virii and almost nil hardware hiccups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.