Why Choose A Mac Over Any Other Notebook Brand?

Reaction score
I was just wondering if you guys could kinda help me out...
I'm trying to decide on a laptop. (as in i need to buy one) but i can't quite decide on the brand. I am pretty inclined to getting a macbook because of the apple care plan thing and also because it is good for video and photo editing.

However, i was wondering if there are any other 'plus points' on getting a mac. does it last longer than the other brand (acer, fujitsu, sony etc)

HELP.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I am a PC guy. Had never had a laptop before, primarily due to being a hardcore gamer and just unwilling to pay the extra $1000-2000 more for a notebook than a desktop that would play any game I might want to put on it.

My decision to buy a Mac was only marginally based on the OS (like maybe 5%). It was almost purely a hardware decision. For me the first thing to spend your money on is the fastest processor you can afford. Over the years I've been buying computers, I've found that the slower the processor, the shorter the quality of your computing experience on a given machine and therefore the life expectancy. 2nd is video card and 3rd is RAM.

At all the price points, Apple just flat out puts higher end processors in their machines than any other off the shelf manufacturer. I have yet to find being able to go into a local store and find a PC with a 2.0 Core2Duo at the $1250 price point. They all seem to short the user on what is to me the key component and put in larger hard drives, more Ram or better video memory nowadays. They can get away with this easier today because of the numbering system Intel is using which gives the end user no idea of how fast the CPU is unless they've done their homework first. And with the slower CPU, they will have their customers buying new machines sooner rather than later to run that new piece of software they just must have.

And one other thing to note with video cards, if the specific model of card is not listed, it is almost invariably the Intel 950. No matter how much VRam they give you with this chipset, many of the 3D games are just not going to run on it.

Edit: Just noticed have had mine for 3 months today, no regrets, and for me this says a lot. Signed up here same day I brought mine home. My few disappointments I believe I would have had with any notebook. And OS X makes up for some of these just because I don't have to be running a virus scanner, don't have to keep Spybot's TeaTimer running full time, don't have to do a full scan once a week with Spybot and AdAware, don't have to worry about defragging the drive, have not noticed a slow down (could not say this 3 months into a fresh install of any version of windows without my continual tweaking, ahh tweaking, this really is one thing I miss about not having windows on here, I could always find something new to tweak in windows to help give it a boost, just not much tweaking available with OS X, but then I guess that means I get to actually use it instead)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
why os x?

I guess it is a personal thing but I consider OS X a plus point for getting a Mac. You may prefer Windows and in which case you should go with a windows laptop. Even though you now have the option of running Windows on a Mac, I believe that if you do not intend to use OS X you should not get one.

Reaction score
Mac OS X is the operating system, the X stands for 10 and were up to 10.4.9 with the release of 10.5 (Leopard) just around the proverbial.

:EDIT:

this was meant to be post # 4 but when I clicked on post reply bob and moss beat me to it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
I am a PC guy. Had never had a laptop before, primarily due to being a hardcore gamer and just unwilling to pay the extra $1000-2000 more for a notebook than a desktop that would play any game I might want to put on it.

My decision was only marginally based on the OS (like maybe 5%). It was almost purely a hardware decision. For me the first thing to spend your money on is the fastest processor you can afford. Over the years I've been buying computers, I've found that the slower the processor, the shorter the quality of your computing experience on a given machine and therefore the life expectancy. 2nd is video card and 3rd is RAM.

At all the price points, Apple just flat out puts higher end processors in their machines than any other off the shelf manufacturer. I have yet to find being able to go into a local store and find a PC with a 2.0 Core2Duo at the $1250 price point. They all seem to short the user on what is to me the key component and put in larger hard drives, more Ram or better video memory nowadays. They can get away with this easier today because of the numbering system Intel is using which gives the end user no idea of how fast the CPU is unless they've done their homework first. And with the slower CPU, they will have their customers buying new machines sooner rather than later to run that new piece of software they just must have.

well said. you just simply cant get a 2.00ghz c2d in any HP/dell/whatever for the price apple sells them.

thats why i never understand the argument, "apples are soooo much more money". Well, if the idiot pricing them out would learn about what cpu is in which, he would have better research.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
well said. you just simply cant get a 2.00ghz c2d in any HP/dell/whatever for the price apple sells them.

thats why i never understand the argument, "apples are soooo much more money". Well, if the idiot pricing them out would learn about what cpu is in which, he would have better research.

not just that either. I think macbooks now come with 1gig of ram (I bought mine earlier, and had to pay for the upgrade), so there's that as well as the hard-drive, DVD drive and so on. You'd be hard pressed to find a better featured windows laptop for a better price. I've seen more expensive ones with 512mb ram that come with Vista free (wow! :p) - yet I recall reading somewhere that Vista required 1gig or ram to run?

Anyway, the point is macs some with an impressive array of both hardware and software to get you running. If you're into gaming, a macbook pro would serve you better, but for pretty much anything and everything else, a macbook will do just fine. I've been pushing mine a bit recently, with a lot of fast paced graphics work, and it's kept up with me beautifully.

Bobtomay raised a good point about tweaking. I only recently started to use a few system optimisation apps, and I can honestly say, I saw instant improvements. Startup was faster, as well as other operations - I was quite impressed. While not on the level you're used to, there are some tools out there to help keep things running smoothly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Bobtomay raised a good point about tweaking. I only recently started to use a few system optimisation apps, and I can honestly say, I saw instant improvements. Startup was faster, as well as other operations - I was quite impressed. While not on the level you're used to, there are some tools out there to help keep things running smoothly.
Just chiming in on this...
I too, found that I didn't really have to 'tweak' much on my MacBook.
I use Onyx (previous to Tiger, I used Tinkertool) to do system maintenance.
I don't have any login items, save one. I wrote an Applescript that starts up items AFTER I've logged in. Items are started sequentially (growl starts. once it is running, another starts, once that is running, another, etc), rather than the login's "all at once right along with Finder" method which can slow things down. May seem like it would take longer, but it really doesn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
me personally, my decision was based on a bunch of things.

ive owned several dell laptops, and was simply sick of dell. None of them gave me major problems, but they had their quirks for sure.

Now, major reason for going with a mac. They are made to work with specific hardware, and come with OSX. I personally think each OS has its own "bells and whistles", and dont mind using either. If i had a choice, and could have it all, it would be the Mac OS.

Personally the fact that their software is made to perform with certain hardware did it for me. I hated doing the driver crap with the dells, although it was rather simple online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I was just wondering.... Why Choose A Mac Over Any Other Notebook Brand?HELP.
me personally .....
... it is a personal thing
There you have it. The main reason why anyone would by any type of computer over another... personal choice.
You purchase and use whatever works best for YOU.
It makes no difference what everyone else is using, or what got a stellar review in a magazine or online. You simply use what you are most comfortable with. The 'reasons' aren't reasons at all, they are merely opinions based on personal preference. No computer type is better than the next one, they are only machines and what might be best for one person will not be best for the next guy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
was just wondering if you guys could kinda help me out...
I'm trying to decide on a laptop. (as in i need to buy one) but i can't quite decide on the brand. I am pretty inclined to getting a macbook because of the apple care plan thing and also because it is good for video and photo editing.

However, i was wondering if there are any other 'plus points' on getting a mac. does it last longer than the other brand (acer, fujitsu, sony etc)

HELP.

Forget the 'brand', you are talking about whether to get a PC or a Mac.

Acer, Sony, Dell etc are all PC's that come with Windows.
Apple are Macs that come with OS X.

Reaction score
Macs work like computers are supposed to. You know how everyone keeps telling you how easy to use computers are supposed to be, how secure they are, and how the interfaces are intuitive? They forget to mention they were talking about Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Forget the 'brand', you are talking about whether to get a PC or a Mac.
It isn't even that ... it is Windows or Mac.

Every machine, regardless of brand or OS, is a "Personal Computer".

Reaction score
If you're willing to go with OS X and learn the new system, give the Mac a shot. You can figure out if you want to make the leap just by doing a lot of reading through some Mac forums, some articles on switching, etc. If you're going to spend all your time using Windows, then it's better just to stick with a Windows machine in the first place. There are a lot of Mac equivalent programs for OS X, so you may be able to do more than you might initially think on the Mac. Then you can use Parallels or Boot Camp for the few things you have to do in Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)

My decision to buy a Mac was only marginally based on the OS (like maybe 5%). It was almost purely a hardware decision. For me the first thing to spend your money on is the fastest processor you can afford. Over the years I've been buying computers, I've found that the slower the processor, the shorter the quality of your computing experience on a given machine and therefore the life expectancy. 2nd is video card and 3rd is RAM.

And one other thing to note with video cards, if the specific model of card is not listed, it is almost invariably the Intel 950. No matter how much VRam they give you with this chipset, many of the 3D games are just not going to run on it.

Edit: Just noticed have had mine for 3 months today, no regrets, and for me this says a lot. Signed up here same day I brought mine home. My few disappointments I believe I would have had with any notebook. And OS X makes up for some of these just because I don't have to be running a virus scanner, don't have to keep Spybot's TeaTimer running full time, don't have to do a full scan once a week with Spybot and AdAware, don't have to worry about defragging the drive, have not noticed a slow down (could not say this 3 months into a fresh install of any version of windows without my continual tweaking, ahh tweaking, this really is one thing I miss about not having windows on here, I could always find something new to tweak in windows to help give it a boost, just not much tweaking available with OS X, but then I guess that means I get to actually use it instead)

I am not sure whether I understand computers anymore. On my desktop PC I have a 1.3GHz AMD my fiances machine as a 3.2GHz Intel P4, when her machine only had 256MB of RAM hers was slower than mine which has 1GB of RAM. It is only since she upgraded hers to 1GB of RAM has hers become as fast as my PC.

I do know that my MacBook with 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 1GB of RAM wipes the floor with both of the machines. I thought I had it figured out and thought the processor had little to do with speed of the machine. Looking at the numbers my fiances 3.2GHz should be quicker than 2GHz and why is my 1.3GHz AMD as fast as my fiances? The only thing I can think of is my PC has a Radeon 9800 graphics card, plus it has a good motherboard because I built the machine myself so only got the best components. I am looking to speed up my PC and was thinking of adding another 1GB of RAM, although now I am wondering if it would be better to get a quicker AMD processor instead?

EDIT: I have been reading up on duos and the way I understand it is, it is 2 processors working simultaneously together or something along those lines making processing tasks a lot more efficient. I am very tempted to go for the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 AM2 2.2GHz, it is a good price, does performance compare to that of the Intel Core 2 Duo?

Reaction score
You have asked a very open question.

There are two points to consider here.

Let me begin with the first one, which is the Hardware. An Apple Laptop will bring you these "pluspoints":

- A beautiful design
- Illuminated Keyboard
- Built-In Camera
- MagSafe power cord
- A brilliant screen (which you may find similarly on Sony Vaio systems)
- A really fast processor.

The other part is OS X. There are a million reasons to use OS X over Windows, but there are also a lot of reasons why OS X may not be the optimum choice for you.

I suggest you spend some time at X vs XP and see Windows in comparison on many points. It will let you get a feel of OS X's concept as well, and will help you understand why this choice is so important.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I am not sure whether I understand computers anymore. On my desktop PC I have a 1.3GHz AMD my fiances machine as a 3.2GHz Intel P4, when her machine only had 256MB of RAM hers was slower than mine which has 1GB of RAM. It is only since she upgraded hers to 1GB of RAM has hers become as fast as my PC.

I do know that my MacBook with 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 1GB of RAM wipes the floor with both of the machines. I thought I had it figured out and thought the processor had little to do with speed of the machine.

LOL - Not laughing at you , but with you. Yes, they do seem to make it very difficult don't they. Not counting the boxes I have put together for friends, I have built myself a new system every 9-12 months from '95 until '04. During that period of time, if you wanted to play the newest games with all the eye candy turned on, decent frame rates and at a high resolution, you really had to have the latest video card or a whole new system it seemed like.

NOTE: For you tech guys, "ALL" of the following is general info according to my aging memory. This is not meant to be a treatise on CPU's, only a "general" response to the above.
With CPU's during the time of your AMD 1.3 the clock speeds between AMD and Intel were basically equivalent. When Intel moved to the P4, this began to shift. AMD was able to achieve similar results as the P4 with slower clock speeds (am not going into why here). Since Intel was the leader in chip sales, AMD really didn't have much choice but to name their CPU's in relation to Intel's clock speed. From the time of the 100Mghz chips up thru the P4 era, at a matching price point between the 2 of them, if you wanted a gaming rig, you were well advised to buy AMD and if you wanted a video rig, then Intel was the way to go. For most other things, office apps and the like, not really too much difference between them. AMD made a big leap over Intel when they came out with the 64 X2 chips. Intel responded with the duo cores, but these still did not match up well with AMD's chips. With the advent of the Core2Duo last year, Intel has once again taken the crown back from AMD. (With 2 CPU's in one core, the step backwards in clock speeds and the corresponding change in the naming convention of their chips, is where the bulk of the confusion comes into play today.) Personally, am only a little anxious to see what AMD's response will be this year. (If you quit reading for 6 months you are behind the technology times again.) My guess is that 90% of computer purchasers do not have enough education about what they are getting and purchase based almost entirely on their budget and visual appeal. Of these, maybe 70% are satisfied with their purchase, primarily just because they don't know (and have not experienced) any better.

Back to your queries, don't know how you are rating one as faster than another - boot times, how long it takes to open a program, how long it takes to encode a video or ....
But her 3.2 definitely will blow the socks off of your 1.3 particularly if all other things are equal. The CPU itself is probably about 2.5 times faster than the 1.3. The Core2Duo in your Mac will be faster at some things than her P4 particularly if she is like my wife, a typical windows user. Just in boot time alone, my desktop on a 9 month old install of XP boots in 27 seconds. Her machine (a Dell and until my MBP, the only off-the shelf computer purchased in this house since '94) gets so slow that she begins complaining every 2-3 months and I have to go clean her machine up again. About the best boot time I can get on hers is 35 seconds, and by the time she is complaining about how slow it is, even her boot time may be up to 50-70 seconds. This has to do with how the system is (not) maintained.

For a good CPU test between your 2 windows machines, download DVD Shrink and try backing up a DVD. My guess is around 30 minutes on the 3.2 and over an hour on the 1.3. I can save you the time of doing this on your MacBook as I have already done so and posted the results here. As you can see from those results my desktop, a P4 3.4, is literally twice as fast at this task as my MacBook Pro with it's Core2Duo 2.33. The Core2Duo should be about 30% faster according to all the reviews and charts I've looked at, so would think that this has to do more with the mobo and the hard drive differences between the 2 systems. The area where the Core2Duo really shines is in multi-tasking.

Everything comes into play when comparing the speed of one system to another; the CPU, mobo, Ram, video card, video Ram, hard drives, optical drives, etc.... Depending on the thngs you do with your 2 windows systems, all of these other things do come into play, for some things you may want to do on a system will only be as fast as the slowest link. For really the best comparison chart of CPU's use this chart. The slowest CPU still currently on the chart is the AMD 2800.

As for upgrading your desktop, you will not put that new AMD 64 in your existing motherboard. But yes, IMHO, it is a good chip at it's price point. At this time purchasing a mobo for that CPU that still has AGP rather than PCIe to be able to use your ATI 9800 may be tough (at least I think so, have not really looked for mobos that are still AGP).

Know I didn't help all that much, and maybe you are confused even more (I know I am now), but a book could be written on this subject. There is so much involved (at least for me spending my money on a computer) to know and to learn. I have a lot of friends that come to me for purchasing advice, and I really have to understand their needs and uses before I can make an intelligent recommendation for them. Have recommended to many to just go get a $700 off the shelf desktop that I personally would never have sitting on my desk, but is more than enough machine for them. With some it has been the $700 box and then upgrade the video card for the best price point for them. A few need to step up to the $1500 price range, and over the last 3-4 years have only had 2 friends whose requirements ended up in my suggestion to let me build a high end box similar to what I would build for myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Tweaking

Actually, since OS X is based on FreeBSD, there is quite a bit of tweaking that you can do. Macosxhints.com has some great hints as well as miscellaneous places on the net.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.