• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why Apple should make an e-book reader?

Reaction score
I believe Apple should make an e-book reader with an e-paper display that you can write on it. Currently there is only one product like that in the market, iRex iLiad. It uses an eInk display and Wacom tablet on it for writing. Though the machine is slow (2 sec to turn a page), software is not so good (it doesn''t even support all hardware features like pressure sensitive sketching, no zoom in pdf etc.) and quite expensive ($700). Sony has an ebook reader but it doesn't support enough formats, nasty DRM, no Mac support etc. This is where Apple would shine. They can build it in mass quantities, put a better chip (but something that wouldn't need a fan) and Apple quality software. It would be a dream machine both for customers and Apple for several reasons.

*All college students will buy one. One could put all the textbooks in and take class notes, take everywhere. It shouldn't support email or web. This is for reading and writing only. No distraction, just simplicity.

*All academics, attorneys, anybody who print out a lot of materials to read will buy one. It will also be good for the environment.

*All graphic artists will buy one, as it will be a cheap sketching tablet with a screen

*Many casual readers will buy one and Apple can sell e-books at the iTunes store. It might turn into a great market.

All the technology is already out there just waiting for the right implementation. Apple even already has handwriting recognition technology.

So do you agree? Can we convince Apple to do this?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Like it, have been seriously considering the new Sony reader myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I heartily agree- this is a great idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
*All college students will buy one. One could put all the textbooks in and take class notes, take everywhere. It shouldn't support email or web. This is for reading and writing only. No distraction, just simplicity.

There aren't enough educational books in electronic format to justify buying such product. The few electronic textbooks usually work in different formats and you will have to consider a good, fair DRM system.

*All academics, attorneys, anybody who print out a lot of materials to read will buy one. It will also be good for the environment.

No electronic paper system is good enough to replace plain old paper yet. The people who print a lot usually have to make copies of each document, you cannot share an e-book reader like that.

*All graphic artists will buy one, as it will be a cheap sketching tablet with a screen

Again, nothing beats paper for a quick sketch. It would be as good as an electronic tablet either.

*Many casual readers will buy one and Apple can sell e-books at the iTunes store. It might turn into a great market.

A casual reader can buy a used book for a few dollars, an e-book reader would cost too much to justify casual reading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I like the idea of them, and I looked at the Sony reader but didn't like the limitations. I don't think a touchscreen is needed, you're talking about a tablet computer then. A reader just needs to display books nice and easily. I'd love to be able to take a number of books around with me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.