• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Who's going shopping on "Black Friday"? (US Only)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
120 GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 2.16 GHz Core2Duo, white MB
I plan on shopping tomorrow (well, today technically). I usually don't, but I get done work at 6am and I'll be headed to the stores. I'm hoping to get a GPS for my boyfriend, and a few other random things (dvds, etc) since they will be cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
we went to our local navy exchange and saved 20% on name brand purses at 445 this morning.

Reaction score
I'm working today so I can't go. Besides, there isn't anything really worth me waiting hours for. ;)

My friends were going to camp out @ Best Buy yesterday, but they went around 12pm and the line was already wrapped around the store. Pretty crazy. So they're going to circuit city instead.

Have fun in all the madness everyone. Make sure to post what you bought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I didn't think did any kind of sales. Did they actually have some yesterday??

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I went, I saw, I conquered....

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I swung by my local FRY'S electronics. 300GB PATA drives, $50. 750Gb SATA II drives $159. I didn't buy anything though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Here's what I want for Christmas. B747-8. $300M. I've been really good this year!!!! O:)

b747-8_sm.jpg

Reaction score
I'm working today so I can't go. Besides, there isn't anything really worth me waiting hours for. ;)

My friends were going to camp out @ Best Buy yesterday, but they went around 12pm and the line was already wrapped around the store. Pretty crazy. So they're going to circuit city instead.

Have fun in all the madness everyone. Make sure to post what you bought.

same thing at Fry's only worse.

The line started at the front door, wrapped completely around the building and ended at.... The FRONT DOOR :Shouting:

I got there at 5am, saw the line, turned around and went to Starbucks for some coffee. About 15 minutes later, half of the line had already entered the store. By the time I parked and walked to the door, the line was gone.

I picked up some A/V gear and a PS3 (came with 10 free BR disks and a bluetooth remote) The line to the registers wrapped completely around the inside parameter of the building. However they had roughly 60 cash registers running. It only took about half an hour for me to get checked out.

Later I walked into Circuit City, picked up my new HDTV from the customer service desk and went home. That process took about 15 minutes.

All in all, not bad. Now I've gotta set it all up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.4, wife: iPad 16gb & iphone 3Gs, me: Macbook 2.6 & iphone 3Gs
okay, I'll bite,

what the **** is 'black friday'
I guess its somekind of sale, but why now, any significance?

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the US, the day after Thanksgiving (the 4th Friday in November) is the "official" start of the Christmas shopping season. Since many people have the day off, stores have HUGE sales and the crowds are often legendary. It is known as "Black Friday" because of the crowds and the traffic, but some of the sales can be worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
baggss has already posted, but here's some additional info anyway.

Black Friday in the US is the Friday after Thanksgiving. It's the day when retailers operate "in the black" or "at a profit". Retailers often operate "in the red" or "at a loss" through other times of the year. Black Thursday is supposed to be the busiest shopping day of the year. Whether it is or not I don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the same link I used...;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.4, wife: iPad 16gb & iphone 3Gs, me: Macbook 2.6 & iphone 3Gs
thank you all, as if you guys didt get to shop cheap enough as it is!!
try a trip to 'rip off britain'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Black Friday shopping use to be a tradition with me, my mom, sister and grandmother. We used be at the King of Prussia Mall near Philadelphia at 7am back before they started giving free Black Friday tolls before 9am (or is it 10?) on the Turnpike! Now we're scattered around the country and I don't do Black Friday any more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I went out yesterday morning around 7am with my mom, but it was only to Bed, Bath & Beyond to get sheets and a comforter for my new bed. :)

Around 8pm, I went to Best Buy with two of my friends and the place was pretty well packed, but no HUGE lines. Cheap stuff! Sadly, I didn't get anything.

I'm not a big fan of Black Friday. I try to stay away from the crowds because it's just not my scene.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you all, as if you guys didt get to shop cheap enough as it is!!
try a trip to 'rip off britain'

Hey, someone has to pay for the welfare state....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.