Who has a iPad Air 2 and why do you love it ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I was in the Apple store yesterday, and got my iPhone5 Battery swapped out, for a new one under the iPhone5 Battery Replacement Program and I looked at the iPad Air 2

WOW, its so very light and sexy. The screen is A M A Z I N G. Apps launch super quick and the graphic just blew me away.
Is everyone happy with their's ?? Anything to complain about ?
As much as I love my iPad Mini, I would love to open Zinio on this and read my Magazines at full spread (with super crisp letters). Also iBooks, ready would be a lot better IMHO.

The whole package got me so much, when I got home, I went hunting, to add the $ up and found 9 iPad.iPad Mini/iPhone5 cases and lots of other Ebay stuff so I can sell my iPad Mini 2 and get one.

Is it worth the upgrade ? What do you like best about your new iPad Air 2 ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
In early December last year, I replaced my 2011 iPad 2 w/ the iPad Air 2 - and my impressions are the same as yours, i.e. fast, lighter, thinner, retina screen, and fingerprint technology; love using the latter! I've not done much w/ Siri but there are plenty of interesting options. The old iPad 2 felt like a brick compared to the new model! No major complaints - and I do a lot of reading on the device (Zinio, iBooks, & Kindle apps) - it's great for mags. Dave :)

C

chas_m

I've been enjoying my iPad Air too very much, but it's undeniably bulkier than an iPad mini.not by a terribly large amount mind you, but it's still a factor. If you do a lot of reading on it, however, then it's definitely a good idea – the screen being that much larger means reading is that much easier.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well I got the shipping info just now in the email. Its official, my iPad Air 2 & Smart cover is on its way. :D

No I just need to work out which keyboard case I'm going to get.
Its a toss up between :
  • Zagg Folio
  • Zagg Slim Book
  • Clam Case (Has no backlit keyboard so this is not really a contender)
  • Belkin QODE™ Ultimate Pro
  • BrydgeAir

Decisions, decisions . . . . Its so hard, because once you change the USD to AUD the Brydge and ClamCase are nearly $200 AUD and thats not right or good for me.

Reaction score
I don't like the iPad

Yesterday, I got my first macbook; the latest macbook pro with retina display. I love it so much, I don't see how I lived without it for so many years lol. Yesterday, i owned the iPad Air 2, iPhone 5s, and the 2015 Macbook pro with retina display. Today, I own the iPhone 5s and the 2015 Macbook pro with retina display. Yup, sold the iPad last night and shipped it this morning. I've only owned it for 3 months and i hated pretty much every minute of it. don't get me wrong, it's a great device; really fast, great camera, beautiful screen, stunning design, amazing battery life, unbelievably thin & light... The list goes on and on. So why would I sell something this great? The one thing that I hated for the entire 3 months; uncomfortable usage. I hated trying to type on that thing, even with the split keyboard function on, i still felt like it was giving me arthritis. People say they like to use it while in bed, but i find it uncomfortable even for that. If i'm laying in bed trying to watch a movie on my iPad, it's annoying because the base is the screen; which means theres nothing to hold the screen for me. And the typing thing again; don't even get me started on trying to type on that thing while in bed. If you don't have a Smart Case (which i did) or a Smart Cover, i don't see how you even use that thing to watch video. I could write a book on how much I dislike the iPad's form factor, and i see the iPad mini as irrelevant as my 5s is almost due for an upgrade; which means i'll be getting the iPhone 6s (or 7, whatever the **** they call it) with a 5.5 retina hd screen. if you have an iPhone 6 plus, the iPad is so irrelevant in my opinion. there's just not enough of a difference between the two devices to pull out a whopping $499 (which in my case was $729 because i needed 64gb and thought i needed the cellular feature (which i didn't, i could write a book on why that's useless too.) I'm just going to stop typing because if i continue to, i'll write a book and i don't really feel like doing that tonight, plus; no free copies lol. So yeah, i hated my iPad air 2 even though it was a great product lol. i also see the apple watch as irrelevant if you have an iPhone, even though it requires an iPhone to use it lol. so yeah, if you have an iPhone & a mac; you're getting the best apple experience IMO. They're the only electronics you need from apple.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Well, that's an opinion that one can have, and I'm glad you found what works best for you. I used my iPad Air 2 in bed all the time, using this thing called "my hand" to keep it pointed in the perfect direction for me, though I could used a cover or stand if I sat up in bed I suppose. For work, I use a keyboard case (or just my Apple BT keyboard with it and a stand and am fabulously productive on it. I wouldn't sell my MacBook Pro or anything, but I really enjoy my iPad Air 2.

Am considering getting an Apple Watch, after a number of friends have raved about it. Might wait until Apple Pay comes to Canada; like you I have an iPhone 5s so I can't use Apple Pay on my phone at the moment. The top two things people I know say about the Watch is that text messages are way easier to manage on one's wrist (safer while driving as well) and that the activity stuff has really made a difference in their lives. One guy I know dropped 40 pounds because of the Watch (and, obviously, some self-discipline, but the Watch motivated him).

Reaction score
Don't get my wrong; that's just my personal opinion. I guess it's just not for me. Personally, I don't really see the point in buying a keyboard for an iPad when i could just take my mac wherever I'm going instead of the iPad with the keyboard. i know some people like to use it for reading, but like i said.. is it really worth an extra $500 for something that does the same thing as your phone does (with even some limitations, there are much more iPhone apps than iPad; for example, there's no instagram app for iPad), but only offers a bigger screen? if i want a bigger screen i would just go to my laptop or my tv for tv shows/movies. playing angry birds 2 was nice on that gorgeous 9.7 inch screen though; i find it painful to play any game on my phone (but once again, mine is a 4 inch 5s; it will be different with someone coming from a 5.5 inch or even a 4.7 inch iPhone [which is what we'll all eventually evolve to]). I feel like Apple products always compete with themselves. for example, the iPhone and the iPod touch. now that so many people have iPhone, not very many are buying iPod touch. even kids have these things nowadays. It's the same with the iPhone and iPad now... Now that there's a 5.5 inch iPhone, why do you need an iPad? You kind of get what i mean? i think the iPad will eventually end up like the iPod if they don't drastically change it. if the iPad ran mac os and had a built in keyboard it would be a different story... but then, it'd be a mac. i also see touchscreen laptops as irrelevant but I'm not even going to get started on that topic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I was in the Apple store yesterday, and got my iPhone5 Battery swapped out, for a new one under the iPhone5 Battery Replacement Program and I looked at the iPad Air 2

WOW, its so very light and sexy. The screen is A M A Z I N G. Apps launch super quick and the graphic just blew me away.
Is everyone happy with their's ?? Anything to complain about ?
As much as I love my iPad Mini, I would love to open Zinio on this and read my Magazines at full spread (with super crisp letters). Also iBooks, ready would be a lot better IMHO.

The whole package got me so much, when I got home, I went hunting, to add the $ up and found 9 iPad.iPad Mini/iPhone5 cases and lots of other Ebay stuff so I can sell my iPad Mini 2 and get one.

Is it worth the upgrade ? What do you like best about your new iPad Air 2 ?

I've always felt that the iPad was too heavy to hold comfortably for extended periods, and further felt that the iPad mini was just too small, at least to my liking. I'll even go so far to say that they've been underpowered/underspecced to some degree all along. My previous iPad, the iPad 4, was a perfect example of this. It performed single tasks well enough, but I usually found that Safari couldn't keep more than one tab cached at a time. It was just too short on RAM for what the software demanded of it. The iPad Air 2 changed all that. My wife had gotten one and after using it for a week myself, I couldn't go back to the iPad 4. I just couldn't. The weight was perfect. Everything was nice and snappy. And having gotten used to TouchID on my iPhone, the lack of it on the iPad 4 was depressing. If iOS 9 proves to be everything they say it is, then the performance will only improve. My sole beef is that it vibrates too much if you turn the volume up a bit. I'm not sure if there's a practical solution to this given how thin and light it is though.

EDIT: I just noticed that this is a necro-thread that someone resurrected from the dead. *slaps forehead* I thought you had one already.

C

chas_m

Don't get my wrong; that's just my personal opinion.

Which is fine. I'm not trying to persuade you that you are wrong. You gave it a shot, it didn't work out for you, that's no problem, glad you found what works better for you. I'm just sharing a different perspective in the spirit of community conversation.

Personally, I don't really see the point in buying a keyboard for an iPad when i could just take my mac wherever I'm going instead of the iPad with the keyboard.

If I had a MacBook Air, I might be very inclined to agree with you on that. But I have a MacBook pro, and that weighs quite a lot more (and my bag for it includes the spare power cable and a few minor other accessories like adapters for projectors since I use it to give a lot of presentations). Some days, I just want to do some writing in a cafe, and the iPad plus keyboard weight a lot less. I also like being able to stand the iPad up vertically for writing, since it's more like a piece of paper. Purely an aesthetic thing, but something a notebook can't really do. It's like if you're just going out to get a coffee, do you need to fire up the car or can you just walk, if you take my meaning.

I feel like Apple products always compete with themselves.

You are completely correct about that. Apple's attitude is that if something is going to come along to render [name of product] redundant or old hat, they'd rather it be themselves than anyone else. That's why you always hear Cook saying he's not bothered that iPad sales are down -- that's largely people like you buying an iPhone 6 Plus, so why should he care? :)

i also see touchscreen laptops as irrelevant but I'm not even going to get started on that topic.

I'm with you completely on that. Jack of all trades, master of none as they say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I am gradually warming to my new iPad Air 2.

At first, it felt big and cumbersome compared with the iPad Mini 2. However, now I have used it a little more, when I go back to the Mini it feels tiny and insignificant in comparison.

I think on the whole I made the right choice in going for the Air 2. Horrifyingly expensive but still worthwhile.

Still downloading stuff onto it. It still feels faster even with the downloads going on in the background :)

Reaction score
I'm one of the few people who actually like the speaker vibrating lol. It kind of gives me the impression that it has a powerful speaker, if you know what mean.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.