Who actually pays for .mac??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
I've been fiddling around with the .mac stuff since I got a free month of it with my pb. I was wondering if anyone actually pays for that stuff. I guess it works out to something like $7.50 a month or so, which isn't bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I pay for it. For me it's worth it, for others, it's not. It just come down to whether you'll use the stuff they give you. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I couldn't be bothered to use it coz I dont use whatever they offer. I use free alternatives; so as schweb has put it, it all depends on whether u want to use whatever they have to offer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I got their free month also and I just realized I used it once during that time.. I guess that means it would not be beneficial to me :)

J

jaetique

I've got a trial account right now. I'm wondering whether there are other alternatives. .Mac makes things so easy, particularly photo galleries and articles and things. I'm a teacher, so some of the templates will be useful. I'm fairly into web design, but I don't have much time to deal with html all the time. I'd rather concentrate on content.

If there was some other hosting facility that offered all that for a better price, I'll be on it in a second.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
jaetique said:
I've got a trial account right now. I'm wondering whether there are other alternatives. .Mac makes things so easy, particularly photo galleries and articles and things. I'm a teacher, so some of the templates will be useful. I'm fairly into web design, but I don't have much time to deal with html all the time. I'd rather concentrate on content.

If there was some other hosting facility that offered all that for a better price, I'll be on it in a second.

Give www.spymac.com a go and see how that works...

J

jaetique

Strider said:
Give www.spymac.com a go and see how that works...

Actually, I've got an account there as well. I'm not terribly impressed by the look of the site and that's fairly important to me. I want to be able to customize my site completely.

Honestly, I was looking at Typepad service (www.typepad.com) and it seems pretty good. The option to pay on a monthly basis is a good one too. It helps spread out the cost instead of just paying a huge amount initially. In addition, .Mac is pretty steep and from what I've heard, unreliable.

So it's really:
Free email service and Typepad (Pro, of course, for complete customization)
-200MB storage, 5GB bandwidth
or
.Mac

I hate making decisions. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
jaetique said:
Actually, I've got an account there as well. I'm not terribly impressed by the look of the site and that's fairly important to me. I want to be able to customize my site completely.

Honestly, I was looking at Typepad service (www.typepad.com) and it seems pretty good. The option to pay on a monthly basis is a good one too. It helps spread out the cost instead of just paying a huge amount initially. In addition, .Mac is pretty steep and from what I've heard, unreliable.

So it's really:
Free email service and Typepad (Pro, of course, for complete customization)
-200MB storage, 5GB bandwidth
or
.Mac

I hate making decisions. :p
.Mac used to be unreliable, but over the last year that has really vanished. I've had almost no downtime what so ever with the service. They've done a great job making it more stable.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Say no to Spymac. Very unreliable. Their mail is constantly down.
Say no to .Mac if you really don't need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
I use .mac for one thing. iDisk. Well, i did. Im not paying for it anymore because I don't have a mac. iDisk was my backup for some of my important stuff like my schoolwork and a few special songs. Only reason.

M

MadPreacher

I had it for a year then I quit coz I was only using the mail and I thought it was too expensive! But I liked it. I'll take it again when I get rich!!! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.