Which OS you guys recommend???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Pathetic, I guess; but I have 3 VPNs. Bought at different times following the advice at that time.

Just curious really, but is there any advantage to having multiple VPNs???

And I am assuming that you must have purchased Annual subscriptions or something assuming they are all still current and working???

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good question, Patrick.

The answer is multifaceted. PIA came about via our own Forums as a special offer some years ago. It was, then anyway, a once-off payment. I felt over time that its functionality fell off a bit and there was a "scare" that being USA-based, it was under pressure to reveal data to the authorities.

Next up was ExpressVPN because it was well-priced, topped the list of most "10 best VPNs" and being based in the British Virgin Islands was free from governmental interference and had good support. Annual subscription.

Most recently, NordVPN because it had best speed ratings and came discounted via another online forum related to info security on which it was highly praised. Covers Southern Hemisphere well.

So, no, there is no real advantage to having 3 VPNs other than recognising that they do vary in the services they offer.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
Hi,

Thank you all for your advice on VPN's. Also thanks for the information on McCafee Virus Security . I have uninstalled it from all my Macs and will in future just use Malwarebytes to protect against viruses. Thanks again for all the useful advice given by moderators and long standing members

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@Jim40, also make sure you don't install (or pay for) the always-loaded version of Malwarebytes. You don't need any resident software to check for viruses. Just run it every once in a while (I use DetectX, run it about every 2 months or so). But there is NO need to have it always running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
I use NordVPN, which I find works well and has a simple interface. And for @Jim40, the real reason for a VPN is for the encryption of the link, for security, not necessarily the change of IP. Change of IP can be handy if you want to visit some website that has regional restrictions, but it doesn't always work for that purpose, in my experience.

Thanks for that MacinWin. Happy Christmas & safe New Year

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Jim40, also make sure you don't install (or pay for) the always-loaded version of Malwarebytes. You don't need any resident software to check for viruses. Just run it every once in a while (I use DetectX, run it about every 2 months or so). But there is NO need to have it always running.
Hi Jake,

My Bank provides me with free full versions of Malwarebytes as part of their online digital banking.

Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm wondering why you installed macOS 11.x at all. What was wrong with the macOS you were running?
And you should really get rid of that McCafee BT Virus Protection completely.
Nothing wrong with Catalina, just following Apple's advice to always upgrade your software to latest, and keep safe. Ironically, I've found that Apple can sometime give out bull.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I repeat, stay off osMac 11 and any upgrades. it has caused me the worst amount of trouble that any Mac system in 27 as a Mac user, won't let me login to my Mac ID, although I've now fixed that after 4-5 hours

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
macOS Big Sur has been great for me. No issues, except for human error.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I repeat, stay off osMac 11 and any upgrades. it has caused me the worst amount of trouble that any Mac system in 27 as a Mac user, won't let me login to my Mac ID, although I've now fixed that after 4-5 hours
I don't agree. Yes I too had problems with the upgrade but a clean install of 11.1 solved that.
In retrospect I should have known that such a drastically different macOS would be more successful that way. I then restored my data from a clone of Catalina.
The alternative to upgrading to macOS 11 now would be to do nothing or and wait until macOS 12 or upgrade to the next generation of devices which come with the new M1 hardware silicon processor and macOS 11 already installed.
There is no gaurentee that a transition to macOS 12 will be any easier.
I prefer to tackle big changes in small bites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
@Rod, I didn't have any issues with Big Sur when I did my upgrade over Catalina.

Lately, I've been doing the upgrades over the previous OS versions. See how it works for a couple of weeks, then do the clean install. With this release I waited until after the holidays to do the upgrade, because I was busy using my Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't agree. Yes I too had problems with the upgrade but a clean install of 11.1 solved that.
In retrospect I should have known that such a drastically different macOS would be more successful that way. I then restored my data from a clone of Catalina.
The alternative to upgrading to macOS 11 now would be to do nothing or and wait until macOS 12 or upgrade to the next generation of devices which come with the new M1 hardware silicon processor and macOS 11 already installed.
There is no gaurentee that a transition to macOS 12 will be any easier.
I prefer to tackle big changes in small bites.

Jesus, what are Apple trying to do talking about osMac 12. We're only on osMac 11.2.1. In my opinion Apple bring out new operating systems far too often. I still cannot get Apple Tech Support to cure the problem of my emails not going in my Mac Mail inbox. I didn't take out Apple Care + on this MacBook Air 2019. Bought at PC World, £200, cheaper than Apple ( but local PC World closed due to Covid 19). Nearest Apple Genius store is abOut about Mac in Liverpool or Manchester (both a nearly 200 miles round trip) As this MacBook Air Retina was only bought in April 2020 it is still under EU warranty, but strangely each time I call about Mac Mail problem, the call drops out, has happened 4 times. Don't think they know how to fix the problem.!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the mail problem you are referring to the one in this thread: https://www.mac-forums.com/threads/using-macmail-on-macbook-air-2020.358748/#post-1866656

Your post #10 seemed to say the problem was resolved and that it was something in the way you had it set up. If that's true, it is a bit unfair to berate Apple for a problem you created.

Apple isn't talking about version 12. You said,
stay off osMac 11 and any upgrades
That fairly bold statement basically translates to "wait for version 12. Don't use 11, or 11.1 or 11.2 or 11.anything." So Rod pointed out that never using version 11 of any sort means you cannot buy a new machine or do any upgrades on your current one until version 12 comes out. That's what you said.

Getting back to the mail issue, is it fixed or not? If not, what is going on now? Maybe we can sort it out .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forgot to add, I wanted to buy AppleCare+ but was in hospital at the time. I applied 6 days late, but they refused both as a gesture of good will or compassionate grounds.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
@Rod, I didn't have any issues with Big Sur when I did my upgrade over Catalina.

Lately, I've been doing the upgrades over the previous OS versions. See how it works for a couple of weeks, then do the clean install. With this release I waited until after the holidays to do the upgrade, because I was busy using my Mini.
That sounds like a good plan Bob, I tried that way first myself and setting aside enough time to devote to any problems that may crop up is a good idea too. I always bear in mind that we only deal with people who do have problems, the vast majority do not, else we'd be swamped;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forgot to add, I wanted to buy AppleCare+ but was in hospital at the time. I applied 6 days late, but they refused both as a gesture of good will or compassionate grounds.
Did you get the 90 days to buy AppleCare+? That's what is offered here in the US, don't know if it's the same in UK. Given that it doesn't add any more time, just more coverage, there really isn't anything to be gained in delaying buying it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Jake: Here in the US you only have 60 days to buy Apple Care Plus not 90 days. Apple changed that several years ago.

I believe but am not sure... you can still purchase the regular Apple Care within 90 days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the mail problem you are referring to the one in this thread: https://www.mac-forums.com/threads/using-macmail-on-macbook-air-2020.358748/#post-1866656

Your post #10 seemed to say the problem was resolved and that it was something in the way you had it set up. If that's true, it is a bit unfair to berate Apple for a problem you created.

Apple isn't talking about version 12. You said, That fairly bold statement basically translates to "wait for version 12. Don't use 11, or 11.1 or 11.2 or 11.anything." So Rod pointed out that never using version 11 of any sort means you cannot buy a new machine or do any upgrades on your current one until version 12 comes out. That's what you said.

Getting back to the mail issue, is it fixed or not? If not, what is going on now? Maybe we can sort it out .

No, it's not fixed, when I feel better I plan to erase my MacBook Air and re-install Catalina from an SSD back up drive as I don't use Time Machine. I had my first Astra Zenica vaccine and developed anaphylaxis, I had to have adrenaline injection and be observed for over an hour. I had already told my GP that I had previous anaphylactic episodes, but more than ten years ago, said Covid 19 vaccine would be safe for me, but it wasn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you get the 90 days to buy AppleCare+? That's what is offered here in the US, don't know if it's the same in UK. Given that it doesn't add any more time, just more coverage, there really isn't anything to be gained in delaying buying it.
Yes, but under EU law that's not enough. We are no longer in EEC but still in EU, so this applies to uK residents :
CONSUMER RIGHTS DIRECTIVE JUNE 2014

British consumers will have more time to return an item bought online, by phone or at home under a package of tougher rights that come into force on Friday.

In what is being hailed as the biggest shakeup of consumer protection laws in a generation, shoppers will be given 14 days, rather than the current seven, to return an item. They will also no longer be forced to pay premium rate phone numbers when telephoning retailers' customer service phone lines about something they have bought. Retailers will now have to offer a number that is charged at standard call rates.

The Consumer Rights Directive will apply in all 28 EU member states from Friday. The new legislation aims to clarify information rights and cancellation rights, and to prohibit some hidden cost practices when consumers buy certain goods and services.

"The Consumer Rights Directive will give people greater protection against rogue traders and strengthen their rights when shopping online," said Which? executive director, Richard Lloyd. "These changes, coupled with the new consumer bill of rights, will give people more power to challenge bad practice."

In the UK the directive is being implemented through the Consumer Contracts Regulations and replaces the Distance Selling Regulations and Doorstep Selling Regulations. They are separate from the consumer rights bill – which contains further protective measures – currently going through parliament.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.