Which MBP cases won't trap heat?

Reaction score
I need a new case for my 2016 retina display MBP.

Knowing that heat is the enemy of electronics, I really want a case that is very good at not trapping heat. Are there any models particularly good at not blocking heat? I've been doing research online, but can't find much on that point.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
oxband, I can't imagine any case which would not retain some heat. After all if you add a layer of insulative material around something that generates heat then some of the conducted heat that would have been lost via radiation and air movement will be retained.
Having said that if the fan can cope with the additional load, if the environment you use it in is not too hot and you are still within the operating temp guidelines you should be fine. ie. 50-80deg Celsius
Ideally a metal case would be best but I imagine most would be made of some type of plastic. Why do you need a case at all? Just curious.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They're not easy to find. I used an InCase on my MacBook until I sold it along with the case. That particular case allowed for heat dissipation fairly well. You might want to take a look at "Speck" cases. They have a good reputation for protecting the machine and allowing heat to dissipate.

Or, just get on Amazon and compare. Most of the good quality cases protect and allow for heat to escape.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Will you be using a keyboard cover as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
what about some sort of skin instead of a case?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I need a new case for my 2016 retina display MBP.

Knowing that heat is the enemy of electronics, I really want a case that is very good at not trapping heat. Are there any models particularly good at not blocking heat? I've been doing research online, but can't find much on that point.

If the main goal is a case that "won't trap ANY heat"...then the answer is...use no case.:)

If the main goal is to protect your 2016 MacBook Pro...then get a case & don't be concerned about heat retention. Protecting your MacBook Pro from scrapes, scratches, dings, and dents is wayyy more important than ANY concerns related to heat retention of a protective case. The amount of "extra" heat retained due to a protective case...is like a flea on an elephants butt.;)

I would not be concerned about heat retention due to a protective case. Get something you like...and enjoy it.:)

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
I think part of my concern is cause I'm thinking of getting a hard case, something a bit more heavy duty to protect the computer, so I figured those might be a bit more heat retaining. I was thinking specifically about the i-Blason cover.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hard shell cases have been around for a long time (probably close to 15-20 years)...if there was a heat retaining issue that effected the operation of a portable computer...probably next to no one would use them. They are not a problem. I've almost always had one on my MacBooks & MacBook Pro's...currently have had one on my 17" MacBook Pro for 8 years.

If you've never used a hard shell case before...I can understand having some concerns. Even if a hard shell case did retain some heat...and the computer ran 5-10-15 °F higher...the computer would compensate for it (if necessary).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I buy cheap hard plastic cases from ebay and they have generous ventilation slots on the base. Last about a year. Never had a heat problem. Don't think the fan has ever engaged - not that I could hear - on this MBP (2015, bought 2016). Underneath the cover the computer is pristine. I've read that keyboard covers are not recommended with a retina screen because of possible damage. Don't buy one from China - it will be ok but take weeks to arrive.

Examples
Rubberized HARD Case, Cover For Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display 13" 15" | eBay

(bundle) Bundle Hard Case, Keyboard cover & Neoprene Sleeve for Apple Macbook Pro Retina | eBay

Screenshot 2019-04-15 at 16.47.52.png

OP
O
Reaction score
I just read that about keyboard covers! I've had one for ages, and coincidentally, last week I discovered it's probably the reason my computer gets the occasional condensation droplets on the screen when i open it. ive stopped using it but im scared. it has saved me from one or two spills in the past.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just read that about keyboard covers! I've had one for ages, and coincidentally, last week I discovered it's probably the reason my computer gets the occasional condensation droplets on the screen when i open it. ive stopped using it but im scared. it has saved me from one or two spills in the past.

I've never had or seen condensation droplets with my computer/hardshell case ever. And this includes using it in conditions of 90% humidity & 90+°F. Maybe you have some unusual weather at your location....or you're suddenly moving your computer from a very hot/humid environment...to a much cooler & drier environment...causing condensation.

Condensation is really something more difficult to discuss...especially since it's something that's more of a local weather issue or something related to how the computer is used & transported form one environment to another by the user). And I don't condensation is something experienced by many users...since it's rarely if ever discussed.

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
No, I mean I think it was caused by the keyboard cover. Not the hard case.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I mean I think it was caused by the keyboard cover. Not the hard case.

My apologies...I misunderstood.:)

- Nick

p.s. I think Badshoehabits reference to not using keyboard covers & retina screens...is more to do with damage to the display (due to the keyboard cover)...than condensation. Also it's believed that some of the air flow on portable computers can go thru the keyboard...thus a keyboard cover may block air flow...and possibly reduce cooling efficiency.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those Speck cases (mentioned in post #3) look pretty bullet proof especially the Presidio but the SmartShell looks pretty good as well.

PS. I think condensation is more likely to occur in cold temperatures rather than hot, humid conditions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.