Which Mac should I buy?

Reaction score
Hi guys, new user here!

I have just started college and find myself needing a new laptop. My budget is around $900 to $1100. Would that be enough for a Macbook or should I save up more?

A lot of my family/friends have Macbook Pro's so I think that's what I'm leaning towards since mostly it will be used for surfing the web, doing homework, and occasionally playing some games. I do like the Air though, so I'm not completely set on getting the pro.

Also, are there new versions of the Pro/Air coming out? Should I wait? I'm really not that knowledgeable on this subject so I'd appreciate advice on what I should get.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My budget is around $900 to $1100. Would that be enough for a Macbook or should I save up more?

The simple first step is…visit the Apple online store…and see how much $900-$1000 will buy you. I think that you'll find that it can get you a current model MacBook Air…but more difficult to get a MacBook Pro. Also check the refurbished section for some deals.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
The simple first step is…visit the Apple online store…and see how much $900-$1000 will buy you. I think that you'll find that it can get you a current model MacBook Air…but more difficult to get a MacBook Pro. Also check the refurbished section for some deals.:)

- Nick

I wouldn't really mind shelling out more for a better model. I guess my main question is, are there any new models coming out that I should be aware of? Like I waited to get my 6+ when i had my 5 instead of getting a 5S.

Is the Apple Store the best place to buy from? Or are places like Best Buy better?

Thanks for the quick reply

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't really mind shelling out more for a better model. I guess my main question is, are there any new models coming out that I should be aware of? Like I waited to get my 6+ when i had my 5 instead of getting a 5S.

The MacBook Pro's were updated fairly recently. So nothing probably going to happen there anytime soon. The MacBook Air's are in "mid-cycle"...so not much probably going to happen there either.

Of course if you stayed with your iPhone 5 (and not gotten a 6+)...you'ld have a lot more computer purchase cash!!;)

Is the Apple Store the best place to buy from? Or are places like Best Buy better?

You generally (if at all) don't save anything buying anywhere else. Only rarely will something go on sale at Best Buy...and then it may only be $50.

Of course as a student...you can save some money purchasing via a student discount!:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Also, is the difference between the Air and Pro just performance? So, the Air is thinner and sleeker yet behind performance wise on the Pro and vice versa?

I see that the Apple store offers discounts for those in education so that gives me more option ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
The MacBook Pro's were updated fairly recently. So nothing probably going to happen there anytime soon. The MacBook Air's are in "mid-cycle"...so not much probably going to happen there either.

Of course if you stayed with your iPhone 5 (and not gotten a 6+)...you'ld have a lot more computer purchase cash!!;)

You generally (if at all) don't save anything buying anywhere else. Only rarely will something go on sale at Best Buy...and then it may only be $50.

Of course as a student...you can save some money purchasing via a student discount!:)

- Nick

Great. Thanks a lot for the quick replies, Nick. I think I'm going to go with the 13-inch MacBook Pro: 2.6GHz with Retina display

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, is the difference between the Air and Pro just performance? So, the Air is thinner and sleeker yet behind performance wise on the Pro and vice versa?

The Air is somewhat thinner & sleeker...and about half a pound less weight. Performance wise (compared to the retina MacBook Pro's)...the current Air models I think are lagging behind a bit.

Personally I think that the MacBook Air lineup needs a refresh ASAP...but of course this does not mean it's going to happen!;)

When Apple got rid of the CD/DVD drive with the retina MacBook Pro's...I feel that a lot of the thin, light, sleek advantages of the MacBook Air's were lost.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I'm going to go with the 13-inch MacBook Pro: 2.6GHz with Retina display

Sounds like a great choice with your budget. And even a great choice if you had a bigger budget.;) One BIG (and sometimes overlooked) advantage to the retina MacBook Pro's is...the 8gig of ram standard.

To get 8gig of ram with the MacBook Air's...that's a $100 upgrade.

- Nick

p.s. The only thing with the entry level retina MacBook Pro is...the 128gig of storage. Some folks find this too small. So managing storage space is something to keep on top of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
I'd definitely buy at the Apple Store - unmatched service and honest help. Best Buy is not known for customer service.

Try out the MBA and the Pro and decide which is more comfortable for you. I prefer the MBA because I do a great deal of typing, and the edges of the Pro are uncomfortable for me (but that Retina Display is beautiful!) It all depends on what you like. If you are carting around your laptop a great deal, even 1/2 pound makes a difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.