Which Mac is best for Video Editing

P

pixelreality

Hi all. I have done a search of these threads first but haven't found what I am looking for. This is my first post as I am just about to order my first Mac, but I don't know what to get. I mainly need to do video editing (Final Cut Pro) but will also be doing 3d and 2d animation. Have always used PC's and have decided it's time to cross over!

I have priced a G5 dual 1.8ghz with 1gb RAM but have been told by those who have Macs that it may be overkill for the price. Is this correct? If so, what Mac will be best?

Also, I am tempted to get the 20" Cinema Display for the extra screen real estate but am confused about the bad mouthing they get.

Thanks in advance.

OP
W

Wapa18

pixelreality said:
Hi all. I have done a search of these threads first but haven't found what I am looking for. This is my first post as I am just about to order my first Mac, but I don't know what to get. I mainly need to do video editing (Final Cut Pro) but will also be doing 3d and 2d animation. Have always used PC's and have decided it's time to cross over!

I have priced a G5 dual 1.8ghz with 1gb RAM but have been told by those who have Macs that it may be overkill for the price. Is this correct? If so, what Mac will be best?

Also, I am tempted to get the 20" Cinema Display for the extra screen real estate but am confused about the bad mouthing they get.

Thanks in advance.

the G5 is a fast computer, especially in a dual processor configuration. if you don't want to spend quite so much, though, even a dual processor power mac G4 would be great. i have the latest power mac G4 (see my specs), and it runs wicked fast. if you're looking to use this machine for a lot of intense video and 3d work for a good number of years, the G5 is probly your best bet since it won't be outdated so soon. the G4 is great, but as for the pro line, it's definitely on its way out. hope this helps. :D

OP
J

JGO

I just got my Mac litterally on Monday, I do have a little insight from swithcing from a PC, and even doing minor video editing.

I have a lower end G4 733 with 896 MB RAM.
My PC is a Pentium 4 2.26 with 512 MB or RAM.

Both have firewire, and I have a firewire camcorder.

On the PC I would use either Windows Movie Maker, or Pinacle Studio 7 to capture vide.

On the Mac I used iMovie.

What is interesting is that the Mac has a much easier time capturing the video and manipulating it. It does this with notable ease in relation to the PC, even though the PC has a much faster (mghz) processor, and a video card with litterally four times as much RAM (don't know if that matters but thought I would throw it in there.)

So my point is ... trying to judge a Mac on performace when coming from a PC is not an apples to apples comparison (pardon the pun)

;)

I guess the point I am getting at is that the G5's would most certainly do the job ... however you may be able to save a consideralbe ammount of money and go with a lower end G5, or perhaps a G4.

I got my G4 for $650, with a superdrive.

OP
P

pixelreality

Thanks for the info. I guess I was looking to get a higher end machine so that I can keep it for longer (ie make it a bit more future proof to a certain extent) cause I know I probably wont get another one for a while!

On the topic of comparisons to PC's, I understand that it is difficult to compare the two, but is there a table that shows equivalent speeds of PC processors and ram as opposed to Macs? Eg. what is a Pentium 4 3.0ghz processor equivalent too on a Mac? (And I don't mean the charts that apple provide obviously showing how fast they are in certain programs!)

OP
J

JGO

It is next to impossible to get good effective honest benchmarks and comparisons between the two.

You can find benchmarks stating that either is faster in any function.

I think honestly that PC's are often times faster, if nothing else because you can now buy a 3 + gigaherz PC

About the most unbiased site I have found is this:

http://www.barefeats.com/pentium4.html

Hope that helps.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
JGO said:
It is next to impossible to get good effective honest benchmarks and comparisons between the two.

You can find benchmarks stating that either is faster in any function.

I think honestly that PC's are often times faster, if nothing else because you can now buy a 3 + gigaherz PC

About the most unbiased site I have found is this:

http://www.barefeats.com/pentium4.html

Hope that helps.

Here is my nickol on the subject, it is like comparing Apples and oranges, that are both fruit and good for you. For me the best way to compare a typical PC computer verse an Apple type computer, is as follows:

If you look at dragster and a NHRA stock car, they both can do about 250 MPH. They are just designed to do it in a different fashion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.