• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Which iMac for video editing?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to purchase an iMac later this year (probably sooner if I lack the willpower!) and was wondering which one to go for? I'm looking to be doing mainly photo and video editing on it, though I'll be starting with the beginner software before moving on to something more complex.

Will the entry level 21.5" iMac be sufficient? Will it have the muscle to cope with video editing whilst web browsing and listening to music? I don't want something that will be grinding to a halt or judder along, I want it to be nice, smooth and capable.

I saw both 21.5 and 27" models in PC World all setup and running. The 27" looked glorious but I don't have the room for something that big, which leaves the 21.5" but the standard video playing on it was very juddery. It could be due to the way it was setup but I wanted to know that if I went for the entry level model, would it be as smooth as the 27" one?

Hope this makes sense, I'm in a rush to get to TKD but thought I'd post this before leaving. Thanks for reading and I look forward to your thoughts and comments! :)

C

chas_m

Will the entry level 21.5" iMac be sufficient? Will it have the muscle to cope with video editing whilst web browsing and listening to music?

Almost any Mac *ever* made could have done at least that much with the tools available to it at the time, and they certainly can now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
If you're working with standard-def video, the entry level 21' iMac will be great. It will handle the multi-tasking no problem (especially with snow leopard).

If you're going to be working with Hi-def video, it could benefit you to add some more memory to ensure smooth performance.

Lastly, if you are planning on doing a lot of video editing, a bigger hard drive would help with all of the raw video storage

OP
D
Reaction score
Hello Danc,

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I've recently bought myself a HD camcorder (budget Sanyo Xacti model) which records in MP4 format. If I wanted to convert this video footage to a standard DVD, would I need a lot of disk space above the entry level 500gb? I do have an external 1TB drive, would that be sufficient?

Apologies for the rather newbie-sounding questions, I just want to make sure that I get the right tools for the job.

Cheers,
Dev

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Depends if you want to store all the video on your drive. I run a 500GB drive in my MBP but then store all my my video files on 2 x 1TB external drives. 500GB should be enough working room as long as you have adequate storage elsewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Honestly, my laptop where I've done a lot of work lately only had a 250gig in it, and I still had plenty of room because I kept most - if not all of my work file on external drives. You'll want to make sure to use a firewire drive for best performance/best experience. You may be able to use a USB, but you'll spend a lot of time rendering to be able to play your edits.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses thus far, you've been most helpful and provided plenty of food for thought. As I'm leaning heavily towards the entry-level iMac anyway, I'll get myself that model and get an external drive if need be.

Cheers!
Dev

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2- 24" iMac's. 3.06GHz 8GB Ram 1TB
i've got an imac with 1TB hard drive. I just bought a LaCie d2 Quadra Enterprise Class 1TB because i've been told by several people to keep the files off of your computer as it will slow down your system. I now need to get an additional hard drive as i'm filling up space fast. I was also advised to get the second to back up the first. After experiencing major computer failure in the past i'm not taking any chances.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.