which external screen for photo editing?

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro (v. 4.1 from 2008) with a 17" screen at 1920x1200. Because I'm doing a lot of photo work on it, I'm thinking of buying a large(r) external screen. Both because it makes everything bigger and thus better viewable (especially smaller details) and also because the Macbook's screen is lighter on the sides (gray cast instead of black). I know there's a technical description for this kind of problem, but I can't remember it.

Anyway, what screen would you guys advice? Apple new Cinema Display can't connect to my old DVI port I believe? I've heard there's a convertor, but using it has some disadvantage'(s), I've been told once. Can't remember which? Something to do with speed or resolution I believe? Also, it's not the cheapest monitor around. What other brands have quality screens, which work great with Macbooks? I'm not looking for the very best, super-calibrated pro monitors, but I'm hoping to get high quality, at least higher quality than the Macbook's screen.

Can anyone advice me interesting manufactureres and models?

Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
What size? Larger screens even up to 24" may not do a higher resolution than what you currently see on your MBP, it'll just make the photo large and not give you more real estate on the screen.

Also, you'll want an IPS panel display. TN panels which are often in the really cheap LCDs have horrible viewing angles and can't truly be calibrated from what I understand.

Dell sells a 22" LCD with IPS panel for about $300, irrc.

OP
K
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 23-24-inch screen supporting 1920x1200. I can't have more real estate since the macbook's not going higher than 1920x1200, but seeing the photo larger is a good thing for me. Most importantly, I'd like to have better quality (better color accuracy and no casts on the side of the screen, as I have now with the Macbook's screen). I would also like to have mirroring, meaning I can use the screen with an external keyboard while the Macbook's closed.

Thanks,
Kris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The MBP can support up to 2560x1600, the resolution of a 30" monitor. What it shows in it's display resolution menu is just the maximum display size for it's screen, whatever external monitor you hook it up to will display the max res for that monitor, so if you purchase a monitor with a max res of 1600x1080 (I think that's an appropriate resolution), then that will be the maximum selectable resolution for that screen despite what the MBP shows when not hooked up to an external display.

$499 for a 24" Dell IPS display
Dell UltraSharp? U2410 Monitor with PremierColor technology

OP
K
Reaction score
"The MBP can support up to 2560x1600".. If that's true (I'm not saying it isn't, but a guy from the Mac shop told me that 1920x1200 would be the max. --but those guys have been wrong before ;) .. but if that's true, then I think I shouldn't consider buying the Dell U2410, but instead, aim for a screen with a larger resolution, so I wouldn't just have a larger display (and better quality), but also, more real estate to work with, right? I use Photoshop on a daily basis and a larger desktop is something I would love to have.

OP
K
Reaction score
I wonder if they sell screens smaller than 30-inch but still supporting 2560x1600 ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Budget? I got an IPS 30" HP monitor from New Egg for about $1000. That's only $200 more than the 24" ACD.

All Intel MBPs show that they can support up to 2560x1600 resolution.
MacBook Pro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the 2560x1600 resolution is mainly for 30" monitors.

OP
K
Reaction score
You're right, that resolution is mainly for 30". However, I just found out that the new Dell U2711 24-ich, also support that resolution. I'm thinking of buying it, it gets great reviews.

Thanks,
Kris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.