which e-mail client?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook4,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor S
I currently have my own Domain, but am getting rid of it. So I currently use my domain e-mail.

Please could people advice which is the best (free) e-mail client I can use so it goes into mail? Thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Mac Mail works fine for me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I assume you're looking for a host, if so I would recommend Gmail. Gmail has free POP and IMAP access from any email client.

As far as clients, that's a matter of personal preference. Mac OS X's built in Mail is pretty well-featured. There's also Mozilla's excellent Thunderbird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
I use the stand alone AOL in my Mac mail and it works very well. Just get an email account with AOL and then add the information in mail. Use the IMAP protocol though which is what I use. You can either use POP or IMAP but I think IMAP is better suited for you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I could be wrong, but don't you need to have a (pay-for) subscription to AOL in order to use their email?

If so, I would recommend against it. Besides AOL slowly fading into oblivion, you would be locked into an AOL subscription to maintain your email address. With a free account from a well-established company, your email will be ubiquitous. It won't matter who your ISP is or if you opt not to pay for the service any longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Cant go wrong with the afore mentioned Gmail using IMAP.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
C

chas_m

Cant go wrong with the afore mentioned Gmail using IMAP.

Clay

Not to get picky -- I generally like and use Google stuff to some extent, as does everyone -- but as nice as GMail is I *do* have a couple of issues with it.

1. The ads. I don't like ads in my outgoing mail, particularly ones I haven't approved.

2. The keyword scanning. Google scans your email, picks up on keywords, gears the ads towards them. And who knows what else.

So yeah, Google's great but there's a catch.

Having said that, at least they have the good sense to be IMAP, so if that would be useful to you, it's definitely a fine option. ABH (anything but hotmail).

I personally use MobileMe. I certainly wouldn't find it worth the money if I was JUST using it for email, but its definitely worth it to me for all that it does, from ad-free email to photo galleries to the iDisk to Find My iPhone (etc). If you're getting rid of your domain, you might consider MM. It's not free, but if you shop around *coughAMAZONcough* its pretty cheap.

C

chas_m

I could be wrong, but don't you need to have a (pay-for) subscription to AOL in order to use their email?

No longer true. Though I do not use it, AOL has been a free (ad-supported) service for at least a couple of years now. Useful for people who have had a long-time AOL address and don't wish to change it yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
I assume you're looking for a host, if so I would recommend Gmail. Gmail has free POP and IMAP access from any email client.

As far as clients, that's a matter of personal preference. Mac OS X's built in Mail is pretty well-featured. There's also Mozilla's excellent Thunderbird.

+1 for Thunderbird

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An additional benefit you get by using Thunderbird is that it also does NNTP (Newsreader) for reading and replying to forums which are still Usenet based.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro, 2.3 Ghz i7, 500GB 7200 RPM, 8GB ram, Radeon 6750 1GB, OS X 10.6.6
Thunderbird is what i use so i have my work and personal and work email in one place. So it gets my vote

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66 2GB RAM 160GB HD, iPod Nano 5th 16 GB, Samsung 2232BW
Thunderbird is what i use so i have my work and personal and work email in one place. So it gets my vote

I use Postbox. Lighter than Thuderbird, has a few nifty features like facebook+twitter integration, nice view modes, but it's paid.

Since it's based on Thinderbird I guess that TB is a great choice (although I've yet to find anything wrong with the Apple Mail client, I just bought Postbox because I liked the extra stuff).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz dual-core i5, 320GB 5400-rpm, 4GB 1333MHz, Intel HD Graphics, OS X 10.6.6
gmail by far is the best, and it's free!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.