Which All-in-one printer & Catalina?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Hi, I am wondering which all-in-one printer to purchase next because I read Catalina is very particular which printer it likes? My Canon TS8351 stutters quite often and even refuses off hand to print, it is in a wired connection as I am too thick to connect wirelessly! The 8351 is not all that old or even old enough to need replacing, I do not have any spare inks so now might be a good as any time to invest if there is something better available.

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Keith, I don't think Catalina is all that picky about printers, as long as they are supported by the vendor. I installed Catalina and my old HP 8600 worked fine. So hold on here and someone with that printer can give you some detailed advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And my Epson XP320 handled the change no problem whatsoever an d works fine by wifi.

You might like to try downloading the driver and seeing if there is any joy Keith.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Jake and Harry2448, since upgrading to Catalina my canon TS 8351 does not seem to want to scan to PC; it did before the change (I think) but not too sure as I do not need to scan to PC very often. My thanks to both of you for your valuable time taken to reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Keith, I have found that if I try to scan to PC from the printer, it does not work very well, but if I go into System Preferences, Printers and use the printer software to open and scan from there it works pretty well. Printers assume they are attached to a PC and not a Mac sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keith check with the Epson Software folder and see if there are two items, Epson Scan 2 and a manual. My various Macs havew always included Epson updates as an automatic download.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good morning all, I have just made a discovery:- the Canon TS8351 will only work wirelessly using something called AIRPRINT! That has thrown another spanner in the works, What in the name of all things bright and beautiful is AIRPRINT? I have enough trouble with a simple cable connection let alone wireless and now AIRPRINT! May the good Lord protect me. I think I shall put up with the occasional stutter. Thanks to all who made comments, must appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Here's some info from Apple about AirPrint:

I have never heard of it. You might learn something from that link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't stress Keith. Here is Apple's 'how to' set upmand use AirPrint:-

How to print from OS X v10. 8 or later
  1. Select [System Preferences] from the Apple Menu.
  2. Click [Print & Scan] or [Printers & Scanners].
  3. Click the [+] icon below the Printers pane on the left.
  4. Click [Add Printer or Scanner]. ...
  5. Select your printer, and then select [AirPrint] from the [Use] pop-up menu.
  6. Click [Add].

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good morning harryb2448, thank you for that info, it sounds simple enough - even for me! I will give it a go after the day has started this. It is still dark this way and I am not quite awake. Situation normal for me this at this time - 06.00hrs.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
harryb2448, maybe I am being my usual stupid self but I have followed your instructions to the letter, I get as far as 4/5 and it all goes pear shaped. The printer is registered as a Canon AirPrinter to the right of the printer list (small print) but that is all. If I try to do anything with the printer USB disconnected then nothing but NOTHING happens at all. I feel the printer must have the usb cable plugged in otherwise the iMac does not recognise the printer is there -- logical or not? OH PLEASE - I do not want to go back to the dreaded Windows; sooner sell up and take up bird watching or something else equally as interesting!!!

Another thought to make my iMac "see" the disconnected printer should I try and download the drivers (difficult I think)?

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am certainly onto something here but again the proceedure completely baffles me and believe me that is not difficult!!! I have made my mind up and I will put up with the shortcomings of a cabled connection --- much more simple --for me at least!!! Wireless not a chance on earth!!! Many thanks to all concerned.

Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch, M1, 2021, 256GB 16GB memory. MBA M1 2020 256GB, 8GB memory.
Keith. The best thing is to ring the Canon help line, I found them excellent, but of course it can depend on the individual person you get to speak to. I have the Canon MG4250 (I haven't got your problem) but I did have a problem a few months ago, can't remember the exact details, but they talked me through it and solved it for me. My printer is out of warranty and that doesn't appear to be a problem with getting help from Canon.

1st and preferred choice.
Tel: 0207 660 0186 Monday - Friday 08:00 - 20:00 (excluding bank holidays)

Or click this link so that you can email them. https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/contact_support/

This link takes you to the troubleshooting type pages

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.