Which AIM client is the best?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", iPod touch 16GB
I personally like Adium. I have like a 4 accounts for different things, and I like the user interface.

Btw, I am new to the forums (not to a Mac though).

I am a teacher, and enjoy it teaching science, math, and tech (12 iMac's at school)

So thank you, and I am looking forward to enjoying this forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Aluminum
I always use Meebo. It can use the webcam, you can log into many programs at once (AIM, MSN, Google Talk, etc, etc,...) and you don't have to download anything.

Reaction score
Right now I don't like iChat or AIM. I can't get video to work with iChat and there is no vido/webcam with AIM. When I finally get something to work, I'll be happy! :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
iChat, Chax, MoreIchatSmileys, MoreIchatEffects

iChat with the Chax plugin is nice.

Yes. I use iChat 4 for both my AIM and my Gmail. It works seamlessly with my webcam, and I also have Chax, MoreIchatSmileys, and MoreIchatEffects. You can download all of those from apple.com. Just search for them, or find them in downloads > email & chat.

Reaction score
I like ichat with chax. It adds some features and I like the video feature of ichat

Reaction score
Adium, hands down. Somuch customization... It's a beautiful thing. :D Plus, I can integrate all my chat clients which is a huge bonus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB DDR3 RAM
I really like audium (as do most people in this thread evidently) :) However, there are a couple of more advantages to ichat. Yes, audium does work with msn, yahoo, aim, etc. and iChat only works with Gmail, AIM, etc. The differences are that iChat can do video conferencing and my personal favorite: texting. You can text to any number in the US unlimited for free and it is very useful to me. Also, if you want to use msn (I use MSN, yahoo, gmail, and aim) then get the app aMSN for mac. It is extremely better than messenger for mac as it does video conferencing as well.

If you think that this may be a few too many programs then I'll give you a better way to deal with them. Download desktop manager. What this does is set up multiple desktops that you can switch between (kind of like spaces). I have six desktops set up. One as my main desktop, another web browsing, next email, then work, another for school, and finally I have one for IM/Media. On the IM/Media desktop I have aMSN, iChat (Gmail and AIM) and yahoo all on the same page. It is very easy to setup, maintain, and use.

I know this is a lot of info, but if you use these programs I guarantee you that you will be pleased. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I'm pretty sure that anybody who didn't choose adium has never used adium, or never set adium up properly. Or, they like video conferencing.
But original AIM? Pfft.

Reaction score
I use adium chat and i have problem about file transfer
It needs over 15 min to receive a jpg file!
could anyone answer what could i do?

Reaction score
I use Trillian for MSN AIM and ICQ i find it more convenient becouse its 1 program for pretty much every instant messaging

Reaction score
i think ichat is the best out there since its apple :D but if there would have been a way to enable facebook, skype or msn chat in it i would have used it. since all my friends only use that..
Since i´m from norway almost nobody uses aim..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Anyone else having issues w/ Adium not connecting to their Yahoo! Messenger account? Mine hasn't worked for a week or so.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Anyone else having issues w/ Adium not connecting to their Yahoo! Messenger account? Mine hasn't worked for a week or so.

Did you get and install the 1.3.5 update? That should fix it for you. Yahoo did some recent changes that affected most multi chat clients. There is still an issue with yahoo and the new Adium update showing your buddies logging off but that will soon be fixed also.

Check your version of Adium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Did you get and install the 1.3.5 update? That should fix it for you. Yahoo did some recent changes that affected most multi chat clients. There is still an issue with yahoo and the new Adium update showing your buddies logging off but that will soon be fixed also.

Check your version of Adium.

Got it, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5 2 GHz 20 inch- IPod Touch 2nd Generation
honestly, i put AIM on mine, but ended up having someone who knows Macs better than I do take it off, I just use IChat. and from what I hear it is more or less preffered by MY friends. It depends what you want.
IChat offers Video where as it seems as though Adium does not. IChat seems to offer many different IM scervices (MSN, AIM... etc) As I said it depends what you want. If your looking for video go for IChat, if not go for those who suggest Adium. hope that helps a bit :/ new to MAC but know SOME stuff about it

Reaction score
Adium & Pidgin are my favouite!!

Adium is a free IM software developed specifically for Mac OS X. Its supported services include AOL Instant Messenger, ICQ, MobileMe, MSN Messenger, Jabber, Google Talk, LiveJournal, Yahoo! Messenger(including Yahoo! Japan), Bonjour(compatible with iChat), MySpace IM, Facebook Chat, Lotus Sametime, Novell Groupwise, QQ and Gadu-Gadu.

enjoy Adium ;D

Another 1 is Pidgin. Pidgin is also a free easy to use open-source instant messaging client. It supports many chat networks like AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Google Talk and many more. With Pidgin, you can log in to multiple chat networks simultaneously! This makes it the best chat client out there.

enjoy Pidgin ;D

You can find more IM clients at Best Free Softwares - The best free softwares for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHZ Intel Quad-Core i7 iPhone 5 16GB, iPad 3 16GB
Adium....but iChat

I do like the convenience of Adium but I really like the look of iChat because it goes with OSX and my beloved iPhone lol.

Reaction score
Ive Just recently Started Using Adium And It Seems To Be Good, So Far, Used To Use mesenger:Mac but it was playing up :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
Anyone knows if Adium has offline messaging?
I'm trying to decide if Adium or aMSN is better.

aMSN uses more resources, but its more feature packed.
Adium is more customizable and feels more robust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2600 256 MB
Anyone knows if Adium has offline messaging?
(...)

Adium does not support offline messaging, I think... You can be "Invisible" to others, but I don't know if you can chat that way. And even if you can I'm not sure if it works very well.

I like Adium, 'cause it's light, quick and I can merge all messaging services I use. (Messenger+Google Talk+Facebook Messenger)

Give it a try for a few weeks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.