Where's the "Fast Flash" ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 21.5 inch iMac EMC 2544 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i7, Fusion Drive ( 1TB HDD + 128 GB Flash RAM)
Dear all,

I have a 2012 21.5 inch iMac, EMC 2544, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7, with a Fusion Drive containing 1 TB HDD + 128 Gb of fast flash/flash RAM.

My question is, where are the Fast Flash chips actually located ?

Reason I'm asking, I want to replace the logic board and I'd like to know if they are on the Logic Board. I see replacement logic boards for sale but no mention of the fast flash.

Excuse my ignorance, I really have trawled the net for the answer to this.

thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In the space of storage, there is HDD, SSD and Hybrid. HDD are traditional spinning media, SSD is all flash storage. Hybrid is what drive manufacturer's call a drive which is a HDD with a small amount flash added to it. Fusion drive is Apple's implementation of the hybrid drive likely using a regular HDD and adding some flash on the logicboard to present as a single storage device. The advantage of Fusion over Hybrid is that macOS does some extra work to keep things in the flash portion when actively/constantly being used where Hybrid uses the flash purely for caching purposes.

Looking at the teardown of the 21.5" iMac on iFixit, you can see the 64MB serial flash memory in this configuration. That value might change based on your iMac config, but likely is still sitting on the logicboard. Apple is likely not using Hybrid drives along with their Fusion technology since that would just cause greats amounts of confusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 21.5 inch iMac EMC 2544 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i7, Fusion Drive ( 1TB HDD + 128 GB Flash RAM)
Here it is.
Samsung part number MZDPC512HAG1 ( 128 GB - SSD, non-spinning part of the Fusion Drive )

Logic Board red box.jpg
Logic Board close up.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Just a caution on Fusion drives. The way they work makes both the spinner and the memory modules critical to operation. Lose either and you lose both. I would very strongly suggest that before you start mucking about with the logic board that you make a full, complete and tested backup of the fusion drive to an external drive. That way, if/when you break the link between the spinner and the modules, you will be able to restore what you broke.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.