Where to Find RAM Specs for 2020 27" iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
I currently have a 27" Late 2015 iMac and looking to replace it with a new 27" 2020 3.8Ghz 8 Core but I need more RAM, need at least 32GB.

In the past whenever I've bought an iMac, I've always ordered my RAM from Crucial but looking around now there seems to be better deals and potentially better spec RAM, that say they are compatible with this Mac, from other companies. By better I mean better CAS Latency, faster bus speed (which is weird if it says it's compatible??)

Does anyone know how you can find out the exact spec of the RAM that Apple ship in this model and/or know of reliable places to buy the RAM from in the UK?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You do NOT want "better spec" RAM, you want to buy RAM that matches the requirements of the system. Buying RAM with different CAS latencies will cause memory corruption and will lead to kernel panics. Faster RAM than what the bus support is waste of money since the RAM is just going to operate at the lower bus speed and if the speed is sufficiently out of spec for the RAM, it will misbehave.

Stick with OWC/Crucial and find RAM that matches the stock RAM exactly and you will NOT have any issues.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what I'm asking. Where do you find the spec of RAM that Apple fit? Crucial say one spec. MyMemory that state they are Mac Compatible, give another spec and another company give 3rd.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The high level specs are here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201191

I tend to purchase OWC or Crucial memory only and go with what they say is compatible and have had the best luck with that for all my Macs. In this case, I tend to not worry about saving a few bucks because I've seen the issues that you have with incompatible RAM and the annoyance it causes when your computer misbehaves or worse yet loses your work.

My recommendation is to go with the well-known names that have been doing this for a long time at whatever price for the amount of RAM you have.

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers buddy that's what I was looking for but couldn't find.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.