• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

where to buy a new computer

Reaction score
So I am looking to replace my wife's desktop PC. The current one is a Dell AIO. She likes it....it's just time for a new one.
Been talking with several different people and getting different opinions. WOW! Absolutely no consensus. One person likes Dell, other say they are junk. Another person says look into CDW to see what they have, but their reviews are horrible. Then I found a site listing the some of the best custom builders, but they seem mostly for gaming, which we are not. So what does one do? Costco? BestBuy? Newegg? Amazon? I have pretty good idea about the specs, just not where to shop. She def. does NOT want a mac....unfortunately. So where's a good place to shop.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well sturg, as stated this is Mac Forums and although I'm sure we have all dabbled in Windows PC's either through choice or necessity from time to time, I personally wouldn't have the faintest idea where to advise you to go to buy a new one. Much less which one.;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
She def. does NOT want a mac....unfortunately. So where's a good place to shop.

Do I dare ask, or do you know, what her reasons are for not wanting a Mac???

If she wants to check out some of the average computer user specs, she will discover a very large number have been switching over to Macs from PC windows machines, and many list various reasons she could look into if she wants.

Her loss if she doesn't want to or she has some specific reason for wanting a Windows machine. Not forgetting most knock models can also run Windows along with many other operating systems.

What does she mainly do with her computer that she would be afraid of doing on a Mac I wonder???

And if she does for some reason change her mind, not something women are famous for, the online Apple stores have a Refurbished section for various models that can often save several hundreds of dollars and come with same Apple warranty has a brand new model would:
and specifically Macs:

Just a thought... :Cool:

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
...She def. does NOT want a mac....unfortunately.

I get it. We all have things that we are used to, comfortable with, and so we don't want to spend the time to get used to something that is new. Especially something as complex as a personal computer.

So...I asked my son, who is a Software Engineer. He works with all three: Windows, Macs, and Linux, constantly. He said that Dell's quality is in another league than just about anything else that does't sell for a silly premium. It is a step up from HP, which is currently the best seller.

Dell has all-in-one's. They are available in every price range and are extremely competitively priced, and you can purchase them direct from Dell:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/sr/desktops/all-in-one?appliedRefinements=38623

Dell is currently running a sale ($100 off) on this all-in-one:

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/fugi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1Max 16" MacBook Pro with macOS 13.2
If you are going to buy a Dell, there isn't any particular reason for NOT buying it directly from Dell...well, except for requiring a local service department, and maybe not trusting the shippers.

BUT what you get from Dell is perhaps more important. Let me tell you a tale:

I am now retired but I used to work in the Information Technology (IT) department at a large institution which had about 2500 employees. Some of those employees--about 100--would visit our customers at their own homes so these employees required laptops. One time our IT department placed an order for 50 new Dell laptops priced at about $2400 each so around $120 K altogether.

Someone in our Supply department took a look at our order and decided he must do something about such an expensive order. He took a look at the Dell Computers website and found that they offered REALLY CHEAP laptops for a mere 600 bucks apiece. He replaced our order for those $2400 laptops with $600 ones, "saving" our company around $90 K. I think he even got an award for this savings.

Here's the problem: what that guy in Supply did NOT know was that there were reasons why we ordered those more expensive laptops. Our visiting personnel might visit 3-6 customers per trip off-site, so that meant that they would be opening and closing their laptops on average 4 times a day or 20 times during an average work week. Part of what we were buying was build quality in those laptops which might require about 2 years of use before they got replaced.

There is (was? I haven't checked recently) a line in the ad copy for these cheaper Dell laptops which specifically stated that THEIR HINGES WERE NOT GUARANTEED. I can sort of see the point: these laptops were not bought by the average consumer for the purpose of being a laptop. By far most of these machines WILL sit opened on a someone's desk for years, practically never being closed (heh, my own MacBook Pro as one example, having given up much traveling).

We in the IT department were very surprised by these cheap Dell laptops. I had the experience of opening the first one from this order and it was evident to me that these new laptops were not of the build quality we were used to. But we dutifully set them up with their required software then gave them to our outgoing personnel.

One of them did not last a week (broken hinge and screen).

We got complaints about all of them, but our personnel did their best to compensate for their bad hinges, propping up these laptops against something so they could read their screens.

I think the last one came back to us within 3 months. Some of them were in pitiful conditions, like one had the keyboard panel that was loose from its base (all screws were stripped) and was practically unusable. Perhaps that user just tossed the laptop into their car after a last day of frustration.

Before they were all returned, we had to place an emergency order to replace this batch of laptops costing us an extra 20%, so around 145% for this go-around altogether. From then on we did include explicit instructions that the models could not be substituted by cheaper ones.

My story is from about 20 years ago so don't use my prices as any guide since prices fluctuate. Just keep my story in mind with the lesson that usually there are reasons why some computers are dirt-cheap. Sometimes I will just chuckle when someone complains about Apple prices being so much more. With more time I will ask the complainer why Dell or whatever computer maker offers and SELLS more expensive models.

Reaction score
Dell went through a period, right after their founder retired, of diminished quality. Their sales eventually plumeted. Their founder was forced to come out of retirement to right the ship. (Sounds similar to Steve Jobs and Apple.) But now their quality if first rate. (Though I can't vouch for their cheapest models. Lots of companies buy personal computer based on price, not quality.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
That's the usual for most consumers everywhere.

I agree that most ordinary customers take price into consideration when making purchases. But I think that most consumers also equally, or near equally, also balance in other factors. Such as quality, reputation, reliability, performance, etc.

On the other hand, I think that low end Windows PC's are often purchased by companies with little regard for other factors.

Some large companies purchase large fleets of really cheap POS's, with price being by far the biggest consideration. Apple specifically avoids that market to maintain their reputation. I suspect that Dell can't afford to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.