• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Where does Windows 7 leave Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I have personally run the beta of Windows 7, can't say that I'm terribly impressed over Vista, to be honest it reminds me of when Windows ME Came out, supposedly better than Win98, NOT. It's still a major resource hog in my opinion and has been only one of two OSes that have slowed down an otherwise fast system. I still offer friends n family of friends XP downgrades if they supply a legit XP licence and media. Still not enthused about the new Windows, especially when my lil eMac can run Leopard with ease. And it's got a quarter of the processing horsepower and a quarter of the system RAM as my main machine. Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
oke personaly i have windows 7 on laptop as i wasn't able to install mac on amd .. and didn't want to test my luck .. it's beta and its working quite well
the biggest advantage is when you plug in anything it works in 10s ..that is what i like about it .. even printer that i cant install with drivers on XP works there perfectly :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
Windows does have it's uses.

indeed....its single use for me on the old relic under my desk is to run the iden software for my motorola phone so that i can have internet at home for free via the data packet connection. my mac picks up the connection over the network, so i'm not even stuck actually using windows if i dont want to. i'm installing w2k via vpc7 on my emac as i write this so perhaps i wont even need the relic anymore. just fire up vpc7, connect to the net and throw it in the background.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
It's still a major resource hog

Yeah thats why so many have been reporting including my self, that they can run in on a p4, or a p3. My specs for my laptop that uses win 7 is a p4 2.8 ghz, 512 mb of ram, and a ati mobility radeon 9600. It boots up over a minute faster than xp did. Personaly I plan on buying windows 7(I love getting MS software dirt cheap through my college.), it blows vista way which is the rebirth of windows ME.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yeah thats why so many have been reporting including my self, that they can run in on a p4, or a p3. My specs for my laptop that uses win 7 is a p4 2.8 ghz, 512 mb of ram, and a ati mobility radeon 9600. It boots up over a minute faster than xp did. Personaly I plan on buying windows 7(I love getting MS software dirt cheap through my college.), it blows vista way which is the rebirth of windows ME.

Yeah, it's definitely not a resource hog. In fact, compared to OS X, it's quite lean. One can run a default installation from boot and see memory consumption under 350MB. The same cannot be said for Leopard.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yeah, it's definitely not a resource hog. In fact, compared to OS X, it's quite lean. One can run a default installation from boot and see memory consumption under 350MB. The same cannot be said for Leopard.
It's funny that you mention this because I just mentioned some of the improvements (here) that I have heard that are supposed to be part of SL such as installation of only the required languages and drivers. Along with other technologies, SL should fly compared to Leopard. Perhaps SL is to Leopard as 7 is to Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The only difference is SL will be a harder thing to create as there was less wrong with Leopard then there was with Viata

Reaction score
Personally I can't wait until Windows 7 comes out because it means I can skip Vista totally. I also own a Mac Pro (2008) so I will of course be using both OSes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz intel core2duo,ati HD2400, aluminum 20" with a 1gig of ddr2 800mhz. 250gig HD OSx (10.5.6)
Alot of people believe these pre-built boxes are loaded up bloat-ware, but in all actuality, it really a matter of convenience.. Not everyone is going to know how to burn an ISO, let alone a DVD of their kids soccer game. Even some of this bloat-ware is how the machine downloads its updates, virus definitions, drivers etc.. Having even a demo copy of MS Office is still better than the what apple has put in my machine(textedit?? are you serious?). It came with nothing to even get me started on the work that needed attention to. I had to download it. Anyways.. I agree that windows7 won't make mac users sacrifice their machines for it.. Having run the beta on my box, seeing hot it runs on a much smaller footprint than vista is certainly one big plus; even installing drivers is nearly invisible to the end-user. Even just a matter of accessing folders/files, it's already quite noticeably less sluggish than vista.. I've pushed it, running crysis and some other apps and haven't had BSOD one single time. but ofcourse, it's running on a quad9450 with 4 gigs of 1066mhz. I'm certainly going to install RC1 with bootcamp assistant. i have wasted more time, and even lost projects, trying to convert my work to a winbox than anything else.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just thought I would post some more detail on windows 7, it seems that they want to keep the older programs working as they should so now if you buy the pro or some of the other high end ones it now include a full key for a virtual pc that is XP. Here is the link on cnet for some more detail. Seems like a good idea for the business market. But what do I know lol

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My only concern with that is that computers will have to have significant hardware specs and how many business machines can successfully virtualize Windows? Plus, there is a dependence on certain processors, which limits what machines can and can't do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
well, i've been running W7 on my MBP with bootcamp for about a month now and i can say i do like it a lot better than vista, but not much more than XP. its flashier and quicker than XP but nothing that'll make me jump ship for. like state many times already windows is finally making progress from the backwards step they took with vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I might even get a legit copy of windows 7 when it's released. On the condition there is not multiple different versions of it like with vista. Blah to that. One W7 with everything and a 2nd with server data is all they need.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's not going to happen. Expect multiple versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've been using the RC (build 7100) since it was first made available and I have to say, Microsoft finally got it right. It's a fantastic OS. It's fast, very lean, and extremely stable for an incomplete OS. I absolutely love the new Media Center, which is saying quite a bit considering that I love the one in Vista. Its visualizations and interface are just so much better.

I know it's not a final release, but I think I'm going to use Windows 7 as my primary OS on my PC and just wipe Vista off. I can't wait for the final release, I will definitely be upgrading.

To all you Microsoft naysayers, all I have to say is: really? Grow up, Microsoft bashing is so passe

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will be purchasing a copy for my Netbook and another for my Compaq AMD 64 Laptop. Been also running the Beta since it came out and am very impressed.

I agree so far with Kash, Best Windows in a long time.

No, I will not be getting rid of OSX and Macs either! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep I'm in the same boat as the two above me, I will gladly purchase windows 7 even before sp 1. I have heard rumors that it should be out in October but who knows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The RC has exhibited a tremendous level of polish, I wouldn't be surprised if it came out ahead of schedule. After fixing all the other Vista problems, what better way to contrast Vista's delayed release than with releasing 7 early?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been using the RC (build 7100) since it was first made available and I have to say, Microsoft finally got it right. It's a fantastic OS. It's fast, very lean, and extremely stable for an incomplete OS. I absolutely love the new Media Center, which is saying quite a bit considering that I love the one in Vista. Its visualizations and interface are just so much better.

I know it's not a final release, but I think I'm going to use Windows 7 as my primary OS on my PC and just wipe Vista off. I can't wait for the final release, I will definitely be upgrading.

To all you Microsoft naysayers, all I have to say is: really? Grow up, Microsoft bashing is so passe

Aside from being more efficient than Vista (gosh, that had to be tough), correcting a number of poor UI decisions, fixing UAC and otherwise refining Vista, I am having a hard time with the notion of having to pay for what Vista should have been to begin with (and it's still missing the badly needed WinFS).

Call me a Microsoft naysayer if you want, but I think more was needed in this release - specifically, a kernel capable of preemptive multiprocessing and a serious rethinking of the registry and Windows APIs. How many more releases will we have to pay for before Microsoft gets its act together correcting these basic flaws?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.