Where did my CD drive icon go?

Reaction score
I made the switch again a couple months back and am getting along pretty well overall. Lately I've been noticing that at times my CD-Rom drive icon doesn't show up when I insert a disc into the drive. The drive is reading the disc because when I open handbrake it has no problems recognizing and pulling information from it, but it's not viewable in finder or on the desktop. I have Parallels installed also and I've noticed that sometimes when Windows sees something in the drive it'll take priority over OSX, but even after "disconnecting" the drive in Windows the drive doesn't reappear in OSX. Then again, there have been other times when it does show up after "disconnecting" the drive in Windows. In this particular case though I didn't even have Parallels running when I inserted the CD. Does anybody have any ideas?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I made the switch again a couple months back and am getting along pretty well overall. Lately I've been noticing that at times my CD-Rom drive icon doesn't show up when I insert a disc into the drive. The drive is reading the disc because when I open handbrake it has no problems recognizing and pulling information from it, but it's not viewable in finder or on the desktop. I have Parallels installed also and I've noticed that sometimes when Windows sees something in the drive it'll take priority over OSX, but even after "disconnecting" the drive in Windows the drive doesn't reappear in OSX. Then again, there have been other times when it does show up after "disconnecting" the drive in Windows. In this particular case though I didn't even have Parallels running when I inserted the CD. Does anybody have any ideas?

In the case of Parallels mounting the disc (obviously if it thinks it is a 'PC' format disc) it is simply the case that under unix a removeable volume can only be mounted once so finder cannot also mount it. In this case you would have to unmount it manually from the command line and mount it manually.

In the other case Finder is not recognising the disc as mountable even though handbrake is, maybe handbrake is bypassing the Filer and mounting it itself.

You would have to experiment to find out what type of discs Finder is not recognising.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
I assume that "CDs, DVDs, and iPods" has a check mark next to it in the Finder's preferences under the General tab.

OP
N
Reaction score
I've got the Parallels issue figured out. I figured out early on about having to unmount devices or drives from Parallels to make them visible again in OSX. So far I've mostly been just dealing with DVDs and a very occasional audio disc.

I've found that when a disc doesn't show up on the desktop, or in the finder, that if I turn off the computer and then turn it back on it will find it.

I'll have to check the finder preferences when I get home, but as far as I know I didn't uncheck anything and I'd assume that nothing has been unselected because there are other times when I put in another DVD and the problem doesn't happen.

*EDIT*
Yes, all types of drives have the boxes checked off in the finder preferences menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.