Where can I find "desktop 2?"

Reaction score
I happened to drag my web browser to the most right side of my desktop and it disappeared. I thought it had shut off and try to reopen the browser. But in the dash board I could see it was still running.
I tested this with my other browser and the same result came out.
It's gone but in the task manager it was running.
There's also browser's menu bar on the top.

I went to Mission Control page but there was no other desktop open. Just my original desktop and safari browser, since both chrome and firefox were blown off to somewhere.

When I took a screenshot of the mission control to post a question, I found out that it automatically captured another "desktop 2" that exists somewhere on my computer.
For the screenshot, I just used mac's shift-command-3 option.

In this capture shot, you can see that both my firefox and chrome are up and running.
I just don't know where this is.

I wish I can upload the screenshot here. The "desktop 2" is set with the default Yosemite wallpaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Try reading for a solution at:
Mission Control 101: How to Use Multiple Desktops on a Mac

or just do a web search on Mac "desktop 2" and try the fix or solution for whatever setup you're using - OS X version etc. if it matters and other details.

If it's still "lost", you can sometimes retrieve it by changing your Displays (Pref Pane) resolution.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply pm-r.

I've already googled pretty much all possible search words for my issue.
Nothing seems to help me which is why I'm on macforum.
Basically I spent the whole Sunday since 3pm trying to solve this problem.

What's really strange is that, it's definitely there, almost like underneath of my current and original desktop but I don't see it.
Mission Control definitely doesn't show anything either.
If it's just a regular desktop 2, it should at least have the same wallpaper as mine. But as I described, it has default wallpaper.

I forgot to mention in the original post. I have Yosemite OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhh… there's the problem - I forgot to mention in the original post. I have Yosemite OS..
Naw, just joking - I think. ;)

Maybe some guru who knows will chime in with a solution. I'll think about it tonight in my sleep and put my brain into gear in the morning. But I've hardly ever even used Mission Control so I probably can't help. Sorry.

OP
S
Reaction score
pm-r, actually you were right. Wow.
My husband got just got home and played with my computer for less than 5min and here it was. Bam!!!
When I asked him, he said he put the display on "mirroring" just because...
I tried changing resolution but didn't think about mirroring.

So that explains why my screenshot always automatically creates 2nd file set with default wallpaper.
Both firefox and Chrome were hanging out int the "mirroring" land and I dragged them back home. :)

Now, you can probably help me with this.
When I click on the "arrangement" tab in the display,
Mine looks like the picture below. (2 screen squares look exactly same: one smaller than the other)

http://instruct.ehc.edu/laptops/mac_pref.jpg

And I could move around the smaller one which was on the right side of the main one.
I think that's why 2 web browsers disappeared when I dragged them to the far right: went to the mirroring desktop.

I never used mirroring option or dual display.
But some months ago, I got some service done on my mac. I wonder if those service guys created dual monitor system and didn't deactivated the 2nd desktop.
Do you know how I get rid of this small screen so I only have 1 legitimate desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhh, a good night's sleep and the problem is almost fixed it seems in the morning - nice.

I don't know if I'm understanding your remaining problem correctly, but you should be able to move the displays and/or the menubar into whatever arrangement you like.

Move one too the left or right side, and up or down so the "passageway" for the mouse pointer to pass through is large or small etc.

I can't remember, but I think one can even move one display directly behind the other so one seems to have just one display.

I couldn't find a good web page if you need more help, but this one give a fairly good description:
How to set up multiple monitors with your Mac - CNET

And then Apple has their own, which aren't really that explicit:
OS X: How to use multiple displays with your Mac in Mountain Lion and earlier - Apple Support
https://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/index.html#chapter=B&section=4&tasks=true

It's probably best to just try different combinations and see what suits you best with the Displays and Mission Control pref panes.

I hope this helps. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.