When to buy a new MBP in the future and do with the old?

Reaction score
Currently have a MBPr 13" (base model, late 2013) with applecare plus. I was wondering what you guys do when applecare plus runs out? Should I keep it till it no longer works (might need 15" one because I'll be traveling and wont be able to use an iMac for editing), sell it (definitely wont get a lot of money for it) and buy a new one with a new design version by then or just buy a new one and keep the old one?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Currently have a MBPr 13" (base model, late 2013) with applecare plus. I was wondering what you guys do when applecare plus runs out? Should I keep it till it no longer works (might need 15" one because I'll be traveling and wont be able to use an iMac for editing), sell it (definitely wont get a lot of money for it) and buy a new one with a new design version by then or just buy a new one and keep the old one?

All options are possible.

- Just because the Applecare runs out doesn't mean you all of a sudden have to sell it.
- I'm not sure what you mean by "definitely won't get a lot of money for it" if you do sell it. A "lot of money" is different for different peple. All I can say is...a 2013 computer is not that old. But as with any electronic device...there is quite a bit of depreciation. So it is worth more now...then it will be 1 year from now, 2 years from now, etc. Just the way it works.;)
- I'm guessing that if you purchase a 15" rMBP...you won't need two...so selling the previous rMBP would probably be the thing to do.

I'm thinking that you need to decide if you will be purchasing a new 15" rMBP. If you do...then sell the current one. If not...keep using the existing one.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends how much readies you got.

Reaction score
Generally, buy when you need to, and try and sell the old one. While obviously you will not be able to get what you originally paid, Apple products seem to hold their value pretty well compared to other brands (at least in Germany, not sure about US second hand market).

Regarding the rest, well, you will have to make your own decisions on 1) whether your current machine fits your needs, 2) which new machine would fit them better, and 3) if you want to have two notebooks or one. I doubt anyone here will be in a position to take that off your hands.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.