What's a good 30 or 32-inch monitor for a Mac Pro?

OP
T
Reaction score
Here's a MUCH BETTER eBay link for a Radeon RX 570. I would be almost positive this RX 570 wasn't used in a mining rig...since:

Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles & More | eBay (outdated link removed)

* The owner still has the original box.
* Only has one of them for sale.
* Been an eBay member since 2005...but only has 26 transactions (thus not an eBay business or volume seller).

Current price is $75 with 4+ days remaining (very likely the price will go up). I would say max price shouldn't be higher than $100-$125...but could sell for less depending on how many folks are interested...and how badly they want it.

Nick
By the way, does it matter which version of the Mac OS a computer is running, as to whether any particular video card is compatible?

I ask because in the list of compatible video cards that you pointed me to on the Apple website it says: "The following aftermarket graphics cards support Metal in macOS Mojave and later."

Well, I don't know what Metal is, but I'm three OS versions short of Mojave, running El Capitan. I'm stuck at El Capitan because the software that I use most often (Adobe CS6, Final Cut Studio, and others) won't run on any higher OS.

Will El Capitan support the higher-end video cards that we've been talking about, such as the Radeon RX 570?

Tom

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I see these cards have two fans, and big ones. Are they loud?
I haven't done anything strenuous on my 2012 Mac Pro since installing the Radeon RX 570...thus I cannot say exactly. I know I could hear my Radeon 5770 when it was being worked (and feel the heat coming out of it too). Lol

Most/many good video cards have fans like this...I guess it comes with the territory. Hopefully not too loud. Maybe I should do some hi-res gaming to see if it gets noisy. Lol

Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I don't know what Metal is, but I'm three OS versions short of Mojave, running El Capitan. I'm stuck at El Capitan because the software that I use most often (Adobe CS6, Final Cut Studio, and others) won't run on any higher OS.

Will El Capitan support the higher-end video cards that we've been talking about, such as the Radeon RX 570?
That's a VERY good question!!!

I'm running macOS High Sierra (10.13) on my Mac Pro...and the Radeon RX 570 works fine. I did some quick research...and what I'm finding says the Radeon RX 570 won't work with El Capitan!:(

Maybe you could check around as well...just to be 100% sure.

Nick

p.s. Completely understand the need to run El Capitan with the older software. Gotta do what ya gotta do.:)

OP
T
Reaction score
That's a VERY good question!!!

I'm running macOS High Sierra (10.13) on my Mac Pro...and the Radeon RX 570 works fine. I did some quick research...and what I'm finding says the Radeon RX 570 won't work with El Capitan!:(

Maybe you could check around as well...just to be 100% sure.

Nick

p.s. Completely understand the need to run El Capitan with the older software. Gotta do what ya gotta do.:)
I do appreciate all the help, information, and advice you've given me, Nick.

Yes, the software that I use leaves me stuck in El Capitan. I create videos in Final Cut Studio that I put onto YouTube, I've written books in Adobe inDesign that are for sale in internet bookstores, and I use Photoshop CS6 for all the still imagery that goes into both of those. I have Adobe GoLive to create and work on my websites with. None of this software works reliably, or even at all, on any OS above El Capitan.

After looking at lots of monitor reviews, I've ordered a Dell U3219 32-inch monitor from Amazon for around $800. Reading the reviews by other people who have bought it, I see that some people love it while others hate it, so all I can do is give it a try and see if it suits my purposes. If it doesn't, there's always that Amazon 30-day return window.

If there's any doubt that a better video card than the old Radeon 5770 in my Mac will run in it, then I better just stick with the 5770 for now, and see how it works with this monitor. I won't be able to get the higher resolutions that the Dell U3219 monitor is capable of, but I'm used to the 2560 X 1600 of my old Apple Cinema Display anyway. Besides, if higher resolution than that makes the text smaller and harder to read, then maybe I wouldn't want it anyway.

The monitor will arrive next week, and we'll see how it goes.

Tom

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the software that I use leaves me stuck in El Capitan. I create videos in Final Cut Studio that I put onto YouTube, I've written books in Adobe inDesign that are for sale in internet bookstores, and I use Photoshop CS6 for all the still imagery that goes into both of those. I have Adobe GoLive to create and work on my websites with. None of this software works reliably, or even at all, on any OS above El Capitan.

After looking at lots of monitor reviews, I've ordered a Dell U3219 32-inch monitor from Amazon for around $800. Reading the reviews by other people who have bought it, I see that some people love it while others hate it, so all I can do is give it a try and see if it suits my purposes. If it doesn't, there's always that Amazon 30-day return window.

If there's any doubt that a better video card than the old Radeon 5770 in my Mac will run in it, then I better just stick with the 5770 for now, and see how it works with this monitor.
Completely understand needing to run El Capitan with the the older software.

Since the Radeon RX 570 doesn't look like it will work out (unless you eventually are able to run a newer macOS version)...here are a couple more suggestions to get better performance. These are older video cards similar in vintage to the Radeon 5770.

1. First is the Radeon 5870 (basically the big-brother of the Radeon 5770). You could get these in Mac Pro's similar to your's...thus it will definitely work with El Capitan. It has the same 1GB of RAM as the Radeon 5770...but the Radeon 5870 is supposed to be 2x as fast as the Radeon 5770.

Looks like they're selling for about $40-$50 on eBay.

2. Another option is the Radeon 7950. This was also an option back in the day to use with Mac Pro's like yours. It has 3 GB of RAM...should work with El Capitan...and I believe it's supposed to be even faster than the Radeon 5870. Also with 3GB of RAM...it might be capable of higher display resolutions.

Here's some info on the Radeon 7950:

Here's an eBay link to a Radeon 7950. $75 right now...but still has 6 days left.

Also saw some Radeon 7950's with "Buy It Now" prices of $200-$300. Mac video card versions are always more expensive. There's probably a Windows version of the Radeon 7950 that would be less expensive...but I'm not sure how "plug & play" the Windows version would be.

If interested in the Radeon 7950...but the Mac version of $200-$300 seems a bit $$$ steep. Maybe do some internet searches on the Windows Radeon 7950 version to see if/how compatible it is with your Mac Pro.

Hope this helps,

Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Completely understand needing to run El Capitan with the the older software.

Since the Radeon RX 570 doesn't look like it will work out (unless you eventually are able to run a newer macOS version)...here are a couple more suggestions to get better performance. These are older video cards similar in vintage to the Radeon 5770.

1. First is the Radeon 5870 (basically the big-brother of the Radeon 5770). You could get these in Mac Pro's similar to your's...thus it will definitely work with El Capitan. It has the same 1GB of RAM as the Radeon 5770...but the Radeon 5870 is supposed to be 2x as fast as the Radeon 5770.

Looks like they're selling for about $40-$50 on eBay.

2. Another option is the Radeon 7950. This was also an option back in the day to use with Mac Pro's like yours. It has 3 GB of RAM...should work with El Capitan...and I believe it's supposed to be even faster than the Radeon 5870. Also with 3GB of RAM...it might be capable of higher display resolutions.

Here's some info on the Radeon 7950:

Here's an eBay link to a Radeon 7950. $75 right now...but still has 6 days left.

Also saw some Radeon 7950's with "Buy It Now" prices of $200-$300. Mac video card versions are always more expensive. There's probably a Windows version of the Radeon 7950 that would be less expensive...but I'm not sure how "plug & play" the Windows version would be.

If interested in the Radeon 7950...but the Mac version of $200-$300 seems a bit $$$ steep. Maybe do some internet searches on the Windows Radeon 7950 version to see if/how compatible it is with your Mac Pro.

Hope this helps,

Nick
Thanks yet again, Nick!

It seems to me like the Radeon 7950 might be the card to get. OWC is sold out of them, but the sales page that OWC has for them says that the card has something called AMD Stream Technology that can speed up video encoding (also known as rendering, I think).

Here's quote from that OWC webpage: "AMD Stream Technology allows you to use the teraflops of computing power locked up in your graphics processor on tasks other than traditional graphics such as video encoding, at which the graphics processor is many, many times faster than using the CPU alone."

So that might be a bonus, aside from the ability to drive big monitors at high resolution.

On Ebay there is a seller of these cards, here, (he's sold 63 of them, with two left) who I questioned about them, and he says that his cards are not original Apple cards but are flashed to be used in Mac Pros and behave like the Apple edition. As he put it: "It is a flashed card with the latest 7950 hardware."

His ad says that it will work with Mac OS from 10.8.3 up to the current OS, which means that it would work in El Capitan (10.11). He says that they are not mining cards but are pulls from Mac Pros. Another good thing is that he has a 100% good feedback rating and accepts returns.

I don't know anything about flashed cards. Are PC cards that are flashed to work with Macs considered to be as capable and reliable as the original Mac Edition cards that were sold by Apple?

If they are, then this might be the one to get, and from this particular Ebay seller, too, since he takes returns. I could buy it from him, try it out with the big Dell U3219Q monitor that's arriving here on Monday, and also see how it works with video editing, in case it speeds anything up. If it doesn't work with the monitor, or there's something else objectionable about it, I could just send it back for a refund.

Sound reasonable to you?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wanted to first mention the Radeon 7950 is one of the video cards listed in the Apple link mentioned earlier in the thread:

The Radeon 7950 supports "Metal"...which means if you decide at some point to upgrade the macOS on your 2010 Mac Pro...you'll officially be able to upgrade it to macOS 10.14 Mojave.

On Ebay there is a seller of these cards, here, (he's sold 63 of them, with two left) who I questioned about them, and he says that his cards are not original Apple cards but are flashed to be used in Mac Pros and behave like the Apple edition. As he put it: "It is a flashed card with the latest 7950 hardware."

His ad says that it will work with Mac OS from 10.8.3 up to the current OS, which means that it would work in El Capitan (10.11). He says that they are not mining cards but are pulls from Mac Pros. Another good thing is that he has a 100% good feedback rating and accepts returns.

I don't know anything about flashed cards. Are PC cards that are flashed to work with Macs considered to be as capable and reliable as the original Mac Edition cards that were sold by Apple?

If they are, then this might be the one to get, and from this particular Ebay seller, too, since he takes returns. I could buy it from him, try it out with the big Dell U3219Q monitor that's arriving here on Monday, and also see how it works with video editing, in case it speeds anything up. If it doesn't work with the monitor, or there's something else objectionable about it, I could just send it back for a refund.

Sound reasonable to you?
Flashed Windows video cards to work in a Mac have been around a long time (mostly for use in Mac Pro's like your's (2006 thru 2012 Mac Pro's).

Everything in the eBay auction looks legit...only problem (in my opinion)...is this guy (and others) ...charge way too much for flashed Radeon 7950's (or any Windows card flashed to work in a Mac).

Here's an eBay auction for a Windows version of the Radeon 7950 (probably exactly what this guy started with before he flashed it to work with a Mac):

As can be seen with this Windows Radeon 7950...it's selling for $89.99 Buy It Now. This guy (and others) probably buy them like this (for this price or less)...it takes them like 5 minutes or less to flash the card to work with a Mac...then charges $215.

Nice $125 profit for 5 minutes of work!!! Lol

Don't get me wrong...many other eBay sellers are doing the same thing...and genuine "Mac Edition" Radeon 7950's are selling for closer to $300.

This guy does include the 2 video card power cables needed to connect the Radeon 7950 to the Mac Pro's logic board...thus this is helpful.

It is possible an original Windows Radeon 7950 will work in a Mac Pro (without being flashed)...you just won't get the macOS boot screen (I don't get the macOS boot screen with the Radeon RX 570 I have in my Mac Pro either)...and it works fine. Remember...the Radeon RX 570 I'm using in my Mac Pro is a genuine Windows video card (no flashing).

This is why I mentioned doing some internet research to see if others have successfully installed a Windows Radeon 7950 in their Mac Pro's. If good to go...could be the difference between $89.00 and $215.:)

If $215 is no issue for your budget...and you want the macOS boot screen...then getting the $215 Radeon 7950 of course is a good solution.:)

Just mentioning all these details so you are fully aware of all the angles.:)

Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, I just took another look at that list of compatible video cards on the Apple website, and as you said, the 7950 sits right there at the top of the list.

Well, I bit the bullet and gave the guy on Ebay $215 for his flashed 7950. Like you say, it's probably too much to pay, but what made the deal attractive is the fact that he's including those two power cables, while most of the other sellers do not, he'll take the card back and give me a refund if I don't like how it performs, and he has a perfect Ebay feedback history, including a lot off good comments by other people who bought the same card from him and report that it works great in their Macs.

So, the 32-inch Dell monitor will arrive from Amazon on Monday, and the 7950 card on Wednesday. That will give me a couple of days to try the monitor out with my Mac's stock 5770 card before switching to the 7950 when it arrives. It should provide a good comparison.

I'll report here on how it goes, not only to let you know, after all your help, but also in case someone else is interested in doing something similar in the future and runs across this archived thread.

Fingers crossed now that all will be well.

As usual your help and advice have been invaluable, Nick. I'm learning a heck of a lot from you about monitors and video cards. Many thanks, as usual!

Tom

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I bit the bullet and gave the guy on Ebay $215 for his flashed 7950. Like you say, it's probably too much to pay, but what made the deal attractive is the fact that he's including those two power cables, while most of the other sellers do not, he'll take the card back and give me a refund if I don't like how it performs, and he has a perfect Ebay feedback history, including a lot off good comments by other people who bought the same card from him and report that it works great in their Macs.
All good reasons to buy from this eBay person.:) I'm super frugal sometimes...main reason I shared the additional details...just in case you wanted to explore that direction.
So, the 32-inch Dell monitor will arrive from Amazon on Monday, and the 7950 card on Wednesday. That will give me a couple of days to try the monitor out with my Mac's stock 5770 card before switching to the 7950 when it arrives. It should provide a good comparison.
Excellent...will be looking forward to your findings.

I have a 2010 Mac Pro with a Radeon 5770...connected to an Apple 30" display (just like your setup prior to your Apple 30" display going kaput). I've never tried attaching the 5770 to a display with greater resolution than the Apple 30" display...thus I'd be interested to see what resolution options you get when you connect your Radeon 5770 to the new Dell monitor.

Of course also interested what resolution options you get when you connect the 3GB Radeon 7950 to your new Dell display!:)

I also have a 2012 Mac Pro that I have the 4GB Radeon RX 570 installed in...but have not tried attaching a high resolution display to this setup yet. I'm not even sure I have a display with higher resolution than my Apple 30" display to test with.

My wife has a newer 27" Dell display which I'm pretty sure has higher resolution than the Apple 30" display...but really didn't want to mess with her stuff (Lol)...but I guess I could if I was REALLY motivated!;)
I'll report here on how it goes, not only to let you know, after all your help, but also in case someone else is interested in doing something similar in the future and runs across this archived thread.
Awesome! We love to help folks with their issues/questions...but almost of equal importance is to also be able to help others out there in the world who may have the same issue in the future.:)

Thanks,

Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Well, he big 32-inch Dell U3219Q monitor that I ordered from Amazon (for $780) arrived on Monday, and I tried to get it to run with the stock Radeon 5770 card in my mid-2010 Mac Pro, just to see what screen resolutions were possible, but I found that I didn’t have the right cables to connect the monitor to the Mac.

The Dell monitor has no DVI port to match the one on the Mac’s 5770 video card, and the other ports on the monitor were not compatible with the ports on the card—at least with the cables I had—so I had to give up on that idea.

No doubt I could have gotten around the problem with the right cables, or with cable adapters, but I just decided to wait for the Radeon 7950 card to arrive in the mail that I bought off Ebay for $215.

Besides, since the old stock Radion 5770 has only 1024 MB of video memory, and can only drive a 30-inch Apple Cinema Display at 2560 x 1600, I doubt it could have done any better on the new 32-inch Dell. The Radeon 7950, however, with its 3 GB of video memory, has triple the power of the 5770.

When the card arrived I opened up the Mac, removed the 5770, and plugged the 7950 in its place. The old card had only one power cable running to the motherboard, while this newer, higher-powered card has two. Fortunately the seller of the card provided the two cables, so I didn’t have to go looking for them. Then I buttoned the Mac back up and connected the new monitor to it with one of the the cables that came with it.

Firing up the Mac for the first time with the new card and monitor was an exciting experience, because the startup chime just kept going and going, chiming over and over again, while the screen remained black. I finally had to shut down the Mac back by holding down the startup button.

I figured that I must have done something seriously wrong when I installed the video card, but when I hit the startup button the second time, to my great relief the computer started up normally, and the screen lit up. So what caused the Mac to sneeze over and over again like that on the initial startup? I guess I’ll never know, but I’m sure glad that whatever caused it went away, and it hasn’t done it again.

Once the desktop appeared I was immediately impressed with how sharp the text and icons look on this new monitor, compared to my old Apple Cinema Display, and looking into the Displays control panel of the Mac’s System Prefs, I was surprised at how many, and what high resolutions, this video card can provide on this monitor.

The Dell U3219Q is advertised as a 4K monitor, but when paired up with the Radeon 7950 card like this you are offered no fewer than eighteen different resolutions, all the way up to 7680 x 4320 pixels. 4K is about in the middle of all these possibilities.

Below are all the resolutions available with this video card and monitor combination:

729p
1080i
1080p
1334 x 756
1600 x 1900
2048 x 1152
2304 x 1296
2560 x1440
3008 x 1692
3200 x 1800
3360 x 1890
3840 x 2160
4096 x 2304
4608 x 2592
5120 x 2880
6016 x 3384
6400 x 3600
7680 x 4320

At the lowest end of these choices, 720p provides text with ridiculously large letters several inches tall, and at the high end, 7680 X 4320, text is too tiny to read. After some experimenting, I settled on 3200 x 1800 for now, which provides large enough text for me to read easily, and images with very sharp details. When I get into video editing and other tasks with this monitor I’ll try other resolutions, looking for the ideal ones.

I had no idea that text and images could be this sharp on a computer monitor. It makes the old Apple Cinema Display, with its maximum 2560 x 1600 screen that I’ve been accustomed for years, seem slightly blurry by comparison. Obviously there has been considerable progress in screen design over the last few years. This new monitor also seems to have accurate color right out of the box (judging largely by skin tones, since I deal with a lot of portraits) so this monitor looks like a winner for me.

Having read lots of monitor reviews over the last few weeks, I know that there are reported to be better monitors than this one (for a lot more money, of course), but after only one day of evaluation, this one sure seems quite good enough for me. I think I’ve found what I was looking for, thanks in great part to all the great help I’ve found on this forum, particularly from Nick. Many thanks!

OP
T
Reaction score
As an update, my Mac Pro began having startup problems again, exactly like the first time I started it up after installing the flashed Radeon 7950 video card-- that is, non-stop chiming, over and over, that only stopped when I held down the power button to force the Mac to shut down.

After that it started up normally again, but I figured that if this is going to keep happening, or get worse, maybe I don't really want this card, or at least not the non-Mac version of it that's been flashed to work with a Mac.

I e-mailed the seller of the card, asking him what he thought of the situation, and he replied: "I think your Mac's caches have been corrupted with the video card's device ID."

I have no idea what that means, and I don't much care for the idea that something in my Mac has been corrupted by the video card, but anyway he agreed to take the card back and give me a refund.

So I got back on Ebay and spotted a Mac edition of the 7950 card (with Apple Mac written right on the side of it), still new in the box, with all cables, a manual, and a DVD that must be for installing some sort of software, and I bought that. So when that card arrives I'll install it in the Mac and we'll see how that goes. If I'm lucky there won't be any more trouble.

Tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.