What Wi-Fi routers support Time Machine via USB shared drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Can anyone recommend a Wi-Fi router that supports Time Machine backup via Shared USB drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Those Mac users that I know that use them seem to swear by them and they provide a fair amount of information for doing so at their site:

And specifically for if and when considering using Time Machine:

Personally, I have no experience with them or Time Machine via Wi-Fi..

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Those Mark users that use them seem to swear by them and they provide a fair amount of information for doing so at their site:

And specifically for if and when considering using Time Machine:

Personally, I have no experience with them or Time Machine via Wi-Fi..

- Patrick
=======
Thanks Patrick. Can you confirm that any particular Netgear product is still compatible? I read that Netgear dropped shared drive Time Machine support for "security reasons" in an update last year (the support doc you linked is from 2015).

I had an older Orbi setup, which did not support shared drive usage, so I went out about bought a Netgear Nighthawk yesterday. I can see my drive on the Nighthawk, but it does not support Time Machine backup and TM will not recognize the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Can you confirm that any particular Netgear product is still compatible?

I'm sorry fiveightandten, but I'm no longer in contact with those Mac users who were ardent Netgear router users.

I'll just leave it for the members here to answer your question who have more current and up-to-date information and the required compatibility.

Or maybe drop a line or call some of the Mac equipment suppliers such as OWC at maxsales.com and others and see what they have to suggest or recommend.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.