What went wrong with my macbook confused!

Reaction score
Hi all

My macbook pro has been beyond amazing never had issues with it. Last night I decide to go on my macbook and suddenly it takes longer to start up, it can get very laggy and delays a bit, I open chrome and it doesn't open as fast as it is suppose to. Whenever I go on for example youtube, facebook or any site where there is a lot of going on it isn't as fast as it was before. Now its very slowish and I have to actually wait a bit just so I can put a video full screen its very frustrating please help.

PS I have yosemite now which actually helped a bit but not too much thanks guys

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
-Have you rebooted the computer recently (this can help)?
- How full is your hard drive (gigs used & gigs free)?

* Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
-Have you rebooted the computer recently (this can help)?
- How full is your hard drive (gigs used & gigs free)?

* Nick

Rebooted it about 3x

This is what its looking like with memory

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 12.09.13 AM.png

From the looks of it im just fine in terms of memory

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks for the info. Both rebooting the computer and the free space on the HD seem fine.

Next thing.

- Do a reboot of the computer.
- Don't launch any apps. after reboot.
- Open "Activity Monitor"
- Click on the "cpu" tab (should be towards the bottom)
- Tell us the cpu activity info (% User, % System, % Idle)

* Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info. Both rebooting the computer and the free space on the HD seem fine.

Next thing.

- Do a reboot of the computer.
- Don't launch any apps. after reboot.
- Open "Activity Monitor"
- Click on the "cpu" tab (should be towards the bottom)
- Tell us the cpu activity info (% User, % System, % Idle)

* Nick

Got this

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 1.00.49 AM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok...again cpu activity numbers look fine.:)

The next idea I was going to send your way was to run the maintenance app called "Onyx". The problem is you've upgraded to Yosemite...and the Onyx folks have not yet released a version of Onyx compatible with Yosemite. And I don't know an app that is equally as good as Onyx.

And just for completeness sake. Let's say running Onyx didn't fix things. Then (since everything else looks fine that we tested)...I'm thinking that the problem could be a dying hard drive.

How old is your MacBook Pro/what exact model is it?

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It might be worth performing a Verify Permissions with Disc Utility. You can usually do a Repair Permissions safety if required. If little is found then try Verify HD but you will need to have a complete backup first because if a major problem is found during Verify it will suggest a HD Repair using the Restore Partition.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It might be worth performing a Verify Permissions with Disc Utility.

I was just going to suggest that:)...and maybe go one better.:)

@HD178:

- Reboot the computer into the "Recovery Partiton" (press command + r on reboot)
- Launch Disk Utility
- Do "Repair Disk"
- Do "Repair Permissions"
- Then reboot the computer.

If this doesn't help things...this may be one more "check-off" that we may be dealing with a dying hard drive.

- Nick

C

chas_m

I think the hard drive is trying to tell you it needs to be replaced. Make sure your backups are up to date.

OP
H
Reaction score
Will try the suggested steps guys its a pain to even reply to you guys on how crappy my mac is being right now this is info on my mac by the way

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 6.43.14 PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a rather newer model Mac…so you would think that the hard drive wouldn't be going already…but it is possible.

If booting from an an alternative source…then repairing the disk & repairing permissions doesn't help…all the signs seem to point to a dying hard drive. And if it is a dying hard drive…and if you have data you don't want to lose…you better be backing up ASAP!!!

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
This is a rather newer model Mac…so you would think that the hard drive wouldn't be going already…but it is possible.

If booting from an an alternative source…then repairing the disk & repairing permissions doesn't help…all the signs seem to point to a dying hard drive. And if it is a dying hard drive…and if you have data you don't want to lose…you better be backing up ASAP!!!

- Nick

I've done the reboot with the whole repair systems etc and still same problem :[ very frustrating this is basically a brand new laptop i dont get it :[ I just have microsoft office that I would not want to lose everything else is not a problem... how can I back up my stuff and also where in the world can I get this dying hard drive fixed please help :[:[

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've done the reboot with the whole repair systems etc and still same problem :[ very frustrating this is basically a brand new laptop i dont get it :[ I just have microsoft office that I would not want to lose everything else is not a problem... how can I back up my stuff

- Apple's Time Machine
- Carbon Copy Cloner
- Super Duper

...and also where in the world can I get this dying hard drive fixed please help :[:[

You don't get dying hard drives fixed. They're basically junk...especially in this case where it is slowing everything down. Dying hard drives are replaced with new hard drives.:)

Technically speaking you could keep using a dying hard drive. But since they could completely crash at anytime...you wouldn't want to store anything on them that isn't backed up. And like I mentioned. If it's slowing things down...you don't want to use an HD that is doing this.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

(this is just for the OP's general knowledge)

The hard drive inside your computer isn't made by Apple. Might be Hitachi, or anything really. Secondly, all hard drives are like lightbulbs -- they are SUPPOSED to work trouble-free for years on end, but they COULD fail *at any moment.* Lots of spinning, moving parts, heat and other factors involved there. It's entirely possible for a hard drive to fail without warning -- this is one of the reasons SSDs are really getting big, they TEND to deteriorate slowly (like batteries) rather than suddenly (like hard drives).

This is why we're always wittering on about backups. Your drive is still functional, make a backup (use Time Machine, no point in paying for something else just yet). You'll need an external hard drive of course, of the same capacity or higher.

Even if we're wrong and your hard drive is fine and something else is going on, it's always a really really really good idea to have at least one backup.

That's a great machine you have -- I have the same model, albeit the Core i5. I'm really loving all the new tricks it has picked up courtesy Yosemite and OS 8.

There's a great guide on iFixit on how to replace the hard drive on that model yourself, if it comes to that. Take a look at it now, it's really a rather easy job (just remember to ground yourself).

OP
H
Reaction score
So after some patience I resolved some of the issue... starting up isn't normal but faster than before my issue now is when opening applications whether it be google chrome powerpoint excell or even just a document.. it takes so long and its frustrating I use to be able to open chrome excell etc all with no problem and have them running at the same time, now if I even try that my macbook will just take forever opening these files compared to how it was before.. please help thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We've already discussed the possibility that the hard drive could be failing. The only solution for a failing hard drive is to replace it (given that the other things suggested so far didn't work).

- Nick

Reaction score
I'd take it to a Genius Bar at an Apple Store if it was me dealing with this.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I wouldn't even think twice based on the above info - if it's taking 1-2 minutes (or longer) waiting for just about anything you click on to open - this is the typical symptom of a modern HD dying instead of the "clicking" sound we use to get.

I would stop using the machine for anything except to - immediately create a backup if you don't have one (or at least "attempt" to) - replace the hard drive.

Head to the iFixit site for directions on how to replace the HD in your machine to see if you're comfortable doing it or want to take it to someone else to do it for you.

If it's still in warranty - then take it to Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.