• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What type of mac would you for free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
It's like saying...if someone offered you some money, no strings attached, no taxes, no commitments:

- $100 dollars
- $1,000 dollars
- $10,000 dollars
- $1,000,000 dollars
- $10,000,000 dollars

...and then saying, which amount would you like.

How many people do you think would take the $100 bucks, and how many would take the $10,000,000 dollars???

So to put it back into a computer context. If you could have a free Apple computer, and you needed a laptop...how many people would take the bottom end $999 model versus the top end MacBook Pro??

And if you needed a desktop...why would you settle for the low end iMac, when you could have a top end 8-core Mac Pro???

- Nick

If you needed a laptop, you'd still take the maxed out Mac Pro, sell it, and get yourself a macbook pro and a several thousand left over.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you needed a laptop, you'd still take the maxed out Mac Pro, sell it, and get yourself a macbook pro and a several thousand left over.

Yes I was thinking that as well. Then you would have enough money left over for an Apple 30" display!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I already got the mbp15, so I think the only other thing I would need is a basic 8-core Mac Pro...I want it stock because I love working on mac pros and want to install the ram and hdds myself...their build quality is IMMENSE :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, these are the specs of the machine I want.

Two 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
32GB RAM (8x4GB)
Mac Pro RAID Card
4x 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
4x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
Two 18x SuperDrives
2x Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) and User's Guide
AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Card with 802.11n
Quad-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card
iWork '09 Family Pack preinstalled
Logic Express preinstalled
Final Cut Express preinstalled
Aperture preinstalled
FileMaker Pro 10 preinstalled
Microsoft Office Mac 2008 - Home and Student Edition
Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter
HP Photosmart Premium Wireless Fax All-in-One Printer, Scanner, CopierAppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll

That'll be $18,300.85 before New York sales tax, which at 8% increases our total bill to $19,764.92

cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i am gonna buy a Mac Pro next month i wish i could get it for free. you know something i dont?

T

todd51

At this point, I would probably choose a new Mac Mini (not the server) so that I could hook it up to my TV. Getting a new iMac already and my 2006 MBP is still with me as we speak.

I would loooove to have some older Mac models. In our inventory at work, we have a couple G4 PowerMacs and even the first generation iMac. I also found an older iBook. Unfortunately, I can't buy any of them (they won't re-use them, they will sit there until they get thrown away) because they are afraid people won't dispose of them properly, which could lead back to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not fit four SAS drives instead?? :D

Because I was going with the most expensive machine I could find. I'd probably not even use RAID, I just wanted the install to make more cash on later. I'd get that rig, sell the tower (keep my 2 30 inch displays), then buy a new 6 core i9 Mac Pro when they came out, fit the 4 video cards, 4TB in SSD, 32GB of RAM, and still have my copy of Logic and stuff.

Reaction score
Because I was going with the most expensive machine I could find. I'd probably not even use RAID, I just wanted the install to make more cash on later. I'd get that rig, sell the tower (keep my 2 30 inch displays), then buy a new 6 core i9 Mac Pro when they came out, fit the 4 video cards, 4TB in SSD, 32GB of RAM, and still have my copy of Logic and stuff.

True, but let's say you make your new signature on that machine, could your human brain keep up with it's speed?

And I'll bet that on that machine the middle grey bar in your sig, that goes through the Apple logo, would also be longer on the left side....:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True, but let's say you make your new signature on that machine, could your human brain keep up with it's speed?

And I'll bet that on that machine the middle grey bar in your sig, that goes through the Apple logo, would also be longer on the left side....:D:D

I don't care if my human brain can keep up with my machine... my machine would be an extension of my human brain. If you really think about it, we're all cyborgs in the way that we learn how to use available technology as second nature (thank Andy Clark for this notion, by the way... his book Born to Network inspired me). So if I use my machine to speed up my thought processes or the rate at which information becomes available to me, then that in a Machiavellian way would mean that my brain has become that fast.

Reaction score
This calls for some rep points:) wow!

Nice work on the middle bar too...lol

I'm just happy with what I have... so happy I could almost... oh no...too late. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha, yea I totally fixed it up. I had initially taken some off when I made it smaller... then I was like, "what the heck... it's still long." Took off some more. Looks good, now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I'd take the top line Mini to be released on the third of this month, max out the options and be happy with it for a long time to come :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
attachment.php

I'm gonna go for surprise here...but I'm quite happy with the Macbook Pro I already have.

That being said I would absolutely love to have a Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh just for the shear appearance. I love this computer.

Twentieth_Anniversary_Macintosh.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That being said I would absolutely love to have a Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh just for the shear appearance. I love this computer.

Yes the 20th Anniversary Macs were/are pretty cool!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.