What to do with mid-2007 Macbook?

Reaction score
I have a mid-2007 Macbook C2D 2.16ghz. I maxed out the RAM, replaced the HDD with an SSD and replaced the dvd drive with the original HDD. The computer runs great, almost as well as it did when I bought it about 7 years ago.

The problem is, I can't upgrade past 10.7.5 and I know I am going to be open to new security vulnerabilities. It's a shame. This computer works great, but has no more support from Apple. I don't want to buy a new one because there is nothing wrong with this. Any ideas on what do to? Is it safe to keep using without any further security updates?

I've tried Ubunutu and Windows in the past and they don't run as well as OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP Retina 8gb ram 128 gb ssd
I'd think your risk is low. Run it till it dies.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The problem is, I can't upgrade past 10.7.5 and I know I am going to be open to new security vulnerabilities. It's a shame. This computer works great, but has no more support from Apple.

As far as I know…Apple hasn't dropped support for OS 10.7 (Lion) yet. But like every OS version…eventually support will end. This doesn't automatically mean all of a sudden all personal info and activities on a computer running 10.7.5 will become "public domain" for every "bad person" out there to take advantage of. You just got to be careful how you do things.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
I know this thread is WAY old, but I just wanted to throw my two cents in here for anyone who is interested. I bought a 2007 Macbook on eBay for my mother to just watch YouTube and check her email. I threw an SSD, Windows 10, and 4GB of RAM and it worked well, except the fans were really loud.

Now she decided to buy a new Macbook Air. So I get this computer back and I decided to tackle the loud fan issues. I opened the Mac up and cleaned out the fan and replaced the thermal paste. Now it runs incredibly well and is perfect for a word processing machine for school. So for anyone who needs a quick machine for school this might be the way to go.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know this thread is WAY old, but I just wanted to throw my two cents in here for anyone who is interested. I bought a 2007 Macbook on eBay for my mother to just watch YouTube and check her email. I threw an SSD, Windows 10, and 4GB of RAM and it worked well, except the fans were really loud.

So for anyone who needs a quick machine for school this might be the way to go.

Biggest issue with a 2007 MacBook is it's limited to OS 10.7.5.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've taken older machines and run them as small file servers on my home network. For my limited needs I could use the file sharing features built into OS X and didn't need to have OS X server.

Reaction score
I have the same model. I installed Google's ChromeOS Flex. Runs Great! And will get updates for as long as you want to keep using it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I have the same model. I installed Google's ChromeOS Flex. Runs Great! And will get updates for as long as you want to keep using it!
So you have an Apple Chromebook. Good job.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.