What to do first?

Reaction score
I'm often jumping from my iMac to my PC .... I'm more than comfortable on both and really would like to keep both. I spend 99% of my time here on my iMac though, but it's handy to be able to jump back behind the wheel of a PC to do certain jobs ...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
One of the first things I did was install Parallels and Bootcamp. Parallels came off the machine the next day. Bootcamp came off it after not using it at all for a month.
Keep my windows machine for exactly the same thing you are wanting to do. Think I am using it maybe twice a month. You may want to do some speed tests depending on what your PC specs are. You can look at mine below, my PC is almost exactly twice as fast as this MBPro. You can check out my comparison here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Have you tried Crossover Mac? It lets you run windows programs without installing windows. It uses Wine instead. I successfully installed a windows 'DVD backup to divx program'. Though I haven't had the chance to actually run it yet.

A great use for CrossOverMac is running Opera, IE5.5, and IE6 at the same time. AND it's the PC versions of them. So I can fully test web pages on multiple brwosers of both operating systems, without rebooting (bootcamp) and without starting a virtual machine (parallels). It's pretty sweet!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.