What steps do I take when I find an app I don't remember downloading on my iPhone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
Hi friends,

I found an app I don't recall downloading on my iPhone. Perhaps I did download it, I just don't recall doing it. I since then deleted the app.

What steps should I take on my iPhone and MacBook Pro to ensure security? What steps can I take to make sure my iPhone or MacBook Pro was not hacked.

I have protection on my Mac, but not my iPhone.

Thanks for your help.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
What's the "name" or icon for that App?

You could post a screenshot of the app if you like.

Removing it from your iPhone is very easy - long press on the app and from the list that appears > Tap on Remove app > Delete app.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
On your iPhone click on the App Store. Then click on your profile picture on the top right, then click on Purchased to see the list of apps you've downloaded.

If the app is listed there, then you or someone else who has access to your phone downloaded it.

Downloading an app on your phone requires verification, you have to enter your password. You can also authorize the use of touch ID or face ID to bypass the need for the password.

No-one has hacked your phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I actually had this happen to me twice a while back. And no, my iPhone wasn't hacked; my iCloud account wasn't compromised; and no one had access to my devices. I still have no idea how it happened, but it has been some time now, maybe a year. I had a post about it. My best guess is some shady developer shenanigans via a loophole they found to surreptitiously download another app.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There are many ways that people can direct to your the App Store to download an app, but the actual download is locked behind verification.

For example, if you visit a website that has a mobile app, a banner will appear allowing you to go to the specific page in the App store for it. From there, you still have to get "Get" to download the app.

What apps can (and do) do is to download extra data once installed to avoid long download/install times from the App Store and to get around the size limitations. This is usually for games which download a lot of assets on first launch.

I'm uncertain how you can have apps install without some explicit action by you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There are many ways that people can direct to your the App Store to download an app, but the actual download is locked behind verification.

For example, if you visit a website that has a mobile app, a banner will appear allowing you to go to the specific page in the App store for it. From there, you still have to get "Get" to download the app.

What apps can (and do) do is to download extra data once installed to avoid long download/install times from the App Store and to get around the size limitations. This is usually for games which download a lot of assets on first launch.

I'm uncertain how you can have apps install without some explicit action by you.

Speaking for myself and my prior incidences... I know full well how the process is supposed to work. Yet it happened anyway. I revisited my old post, and yeah... even the first time, Apple had actually emailed me asking if I had authorized that download.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.