What programs do you recommend for checking the health of an external HD?

Reaction score
I have some old external hard drives. Some are 4, 5 years old. They still work fine. That said, I'd love to know if there was some program which let me check the internals so I know if it's dying. Are there any programs that do that? If so, what?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You have Disk Utility which you can use from your Applications, Utilities, folder. Other programs are available which can do much more than Disk Utility but they're expensive. Also, if any of those old hard drives are formatted NTFS, you'll need to use a Windows utility to check them since most OS X programs do not work for NTFS.

OP
O
Reaction score
What can I do with Disc Utility to check health? Also, what other program offer something to do that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Disk Utility can "verify" and repair a hard drive but the repairs are very basic. Disk Warrior can do much more and is probably the best all around utility for diagnosing and repairing an ailing hard drive. Some folks like Techtool Pro 7 to do repairs and diagnosing.

OP
O
Reaction score
Is there anything I can use to test it to see if it is sick? Right now they all work fine. But I do wonder if some program can let me know if a drive isnt in perfect health.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to the above links. I believe both Disk Warrior and Techtool Pro 7 have trial versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Is there anything I can use to test it to see if it is sick? Right now they all work fine. But I do wonder if some program can let me know if a drive isnt in perfect health.

Well, Chscag has already provided information on 'Disk Utility' (DU) which is part of the Mac OS and links to two other apps that are often suggested here; but just to 'show' you what information will be provided by DU, see the two screen captures from my MBPro's verification of my Time Machine backup external HD's partition - plenty of information is provided @ the bottom; plus the window w/ the details shows what was checked (had to scroll thus the reason for 2 images) - the HD is OK.

Years ago, I used Steve Gibson's SpinRite on PC's running DOS/Windows - an expensive program then and the two Mac ones linked are certainly not free, if you decide to go beyond the trial versions, which likely will not provide all of the features (not sure, I've not used either one)?

Also, your external HDs are about 5 years old and failure rates/year are cumulative, so you are still taking a risk w/ these older HDs (I've had 3 fail on me after 3-6 years) - for some information checkout this Discussion; and external HDs are now so cheap that if the data is critical, you might want to consider buying a new one or two, but just something that I would likely do. Good luck and let us know which app(s) seem to work for you. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 1.49.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 1.49.37 PM.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Also keep in mind that many disk utilities do not check the internal circuitry of a drive if that drive is placed in an external drive enclosure. These utilities check such things as directory structure but don't check SMART status

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SMART status isn't checked on external hard drives anyway. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You said that much simpler than I did. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.