what on earth is going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
there is some new feature in the dock that has 3 apps down there, 2 of the 3 are slightly larger due to the curser being down there. what is this and how can i turn it off?

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 11.43.50 AM.jpg

also in pic 2 why does it keep asking for EVERYTHING! it never remembers.
any thoughts?

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 11.44.16 AM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Number 1 is called "Magnification" and is set for both on/off and size in the System Preferences/Dock area. Not new, been that way for a long time now. Number 2 is new in Mojave, I think. Are you getting the exact same message for "com.apple.fonts" or does the message change slightly each time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Turn off Magnification in System Preferences > Dock.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
Number 1 is called "Magnification" and is set for both on/off and size in the System Preferences/Dock area. Not new, been that way for a long time now. Number 2 is new in Mojave, I think. Are you getting the exact same message for "com.apple.fonts" or does the message change slightly each time?

the magnification doesnt bother me, the section where 2 are magnified and the other is not. that is new, i really dont care to have that on my dock - i like to run it light. all of those pictures on my desktop are driving me crazy, but im not ready to move them yet.
the area where the 2 are magnified and the 3rd is not has very thin white lines sectioning it off... can that be turned off?

and no, it is the exact same message for everything, and doesnt change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your mouse cursor is between the icons there. That's why they are magnified. The line only shows the part of the Dock where permanent and recent apps show. If you don't want recents, System Preferences>Dock, uncheck "Show recent applications in Dock."

And if the image is exactly the same, then some font application is working with Preview to want to change something in Preview. Mojave now has security to prevent applications from messing with one another unless you explicitly give them permission to do so. You find that in System Prefs>Privacy. For more on what's new in Mojave, here is Apple's article: https://help.apple.com/macOS/mojave/whats-new/#dark-mode and here is Bombich.com's assessment: https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/granting-full-disk-access-ccc-and-its-helper-tool

So, if you know the app that wants to muck with fonts in Preview, set it up to have access permanently.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
the magnification doesnt bother me, the section where 2 are magnified and the other is not. that is new, i really dont care to have that on my dock - i like to run it light. all of those pictures on my desktop are driving me crazy
That is a new feature in Mojave. Icons for the most recently used programs appear there for ease of access. Here's more info on this feature and how to turn it off. In short: System Preferences>Dock preference pane. Deselect the last option.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sly is correct. They put that feature from IOS into Mac OS where the last 3 opened apps that are not already in the Dock are shown there. Thanks Sly for the info on disabling it as many I am sure will not want it. For some reason it does not bother me as it's only showing apps that are not already in the Dock.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I first noticed that behavior in the beta I was really confused and to be honest it annoyed me. After a bit I got used to it but I think I have it off now.

@Dennis A bit off topic but the following might give you a laugh. Remember the series of issues I had getting the Mojave betas installed? In fact I was stuck at beta 2 the entire time. On Monday I downloaded the public release and it installed flawlessly. In fact, I think the process went faster than some other OS installs. I never did figure out what caused the issues.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When I first noticed that behavior in the beta I was really confused and to be honest it annoyed me. After a bit I got used to it but I think I have it off now.

@Dennis A bit off topic but the following might give you a laugh. Remember the series of issues I had getting the Mojave betas installed? In fact I was stuck at beta 2 the entire time. On Monday I downloaded the public release and it installed flawlessly. In fact, I think the process went faster than some other OS installs. I never did figure out what caused the issues.

That is crazy for sure. Glad the release installed at least!!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I completely erased the boot drive, got rid of an NTFS partition from multiple failed attempts to Bootcamp Windows 10 and then did the installation. Everything went well. The only issue I had was the first time I ran Migration Assistant it didn't work. The second time it ran fine.

I still have an installation of Public Beta 2 on an external hard drive. When I have some time this weekend I'm going to try to install this release over the beta and see how that works out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It took me awhile, but I finally figured out that the question has nothing to do with magnification of the icons. :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, that dawned on me when he said he didn't care about the magnification. The first post wasn't clear to me. I took the "this" to be the magnification, not the recents.

Reaction score
also in pic 2 why does it keep asking for EVERYTHING! it never remembers.
any thoughts?

View attachment 28518

It's malware!!!

I'm in the middle of helping a friend with this issue, and I think I have arrived at a disturbing conclusion: I think it's a covert key logger. This would explain why it's trying to control every application!

If you look inside the com.apple.fonts.app bundle, the info.plist file contains this URL: http://www.widestep.com/fdbck/emailstore/submit.php?application=EliteKeyloggerMac

There's also a log file and a binary file. I don't know what's in the binary, but the log file indicates regular screen shots and web history parsing, all in 2014. I don't know whether it succeeded in uploading anything.

To remove it:
First, in Terminal, run:
sudo rm /Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.fonts.plist

Then, if the com.apple.fonts.plist process is still running, kill it in Activity Monitor or terminal.

Restart for good measure.

And of course, run an anti-malware tool, and assume you've been compromised and change passwords.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums tooki:

Nice catch and thanks for pointing that out. You are correct, that indeed is malware and should be removed.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i found the file... but its not like yours... at all...
Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 1.57.46 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 1.58.41 PM.jpg
so im not 100% sure what to do with this but i think i should
sudo rm /users/Allen/com.apple.fonts

then kill it in the activity monitor... or something like that

Reaction score
i found the file... but its not like yours... at all...
View attachment 28644
View attachment 28645
so im not 100% sure what to do with this but i think i should
sudo rm /users/Allen/com.apple.fonts

then kill it in the activity monitor... or something like that

Your screenshots don't really show anything, you'd need to show the contents of the com.apple.fonts.app.

If you kill com.apple.fonts.app in activity monitor, does it relaunch automatically? If so, you must check all your LaunchAgents plists to see which one is launching it — remember that the filename of the plist may be a decoy!!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay you were right... i was in the wrong folder (these Mac's are not that user friendly)
how ever.... have you ever wondered what would happen if you changed the value in the key to something else?
like change the contents inside the blue on line 5?
Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 4.23.46 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
disturbed13 consider downloading Malwarebytes for Mac. Do not register it and after the 30 day free trial it will operate as the free version. Suggestions are your problem is this malware acts like a keylogger.

Also consider moving all those files off the desktop to documents, downloads, games etc.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i already have malwarebytes, it didnt find anything before i ran the command line request.
the command line request has stopped the issue
thanks

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Be aware that due to the changes in Mojave to System Security many third party apps will ask for access to the system folder and other services such as Photos, Microphone, Camera etc. Some may require you to drag an app specific icon to your "Full Disk Access" folder in Security & Privacy > Privacy > Full System Access. CCC and Spam Sieve are typical examples and this should only happen once. Native apps should not ask for system access as they are part of the system already.
2018-10-18 10:55:45.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.