what makes mac different?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can get the Dell for about $1500 after tax, and the max memory in pretty much any c2d pc or notebook is 4gb, including the inspiron. Dell always has 20%-30% online coupons.

The fact remains that you can get pc hardware for cheaper than mac hardware because of the competitive aspect of the pc market.

1st - I am no Mac fanboy as others who have read many of my previous posts already know. Just my post previous to this one, was to recommend getting a window machine. I am a long time hardware enthusiast.
2nd - no one is disputing that you can buy Windows PC's cheaper than you can buy Mac's
3rd - there can be no comparing one computer to another without first having the same CPU in each, as this is the most expensive part incorporated into them.
4th - you start with the same CPU in both machines and then compare their pricing, without this, there is no comparison

edit - yes, I know 3 & 4 are the same, it's important

You may consider the CPU to be only a minor difference between the 2 machines, but Dell charges a $425 upgrade to the 2.33 from the 2.00, so the first thing you have to do is add that to get a true comparison.
Next, the 2.33 is not available as an option in the Inspiron - why you may ask, because the motherboard they use in that machine is not capable of handling that chip, so the mobo has to be upgraded also. You're Inspiron is now transformed into the XPS and is over $2K by the time you have upgraded just this one item from Dell.

One of the primary reasons someone with a working computer buys a new one, is because their old one has gotten too slow for the current programs they are installing on the machine. The cause - the CPU. The processor in the machine will be the determining factor of how soon you will be needing a replacement. It is my personal opinion why you can't go into a retail store and buy a windows PC with the same CPU that Apple puts in their machines. Planned obsolescence. That's a big part of why this MBP is my first off the shelf machine since '94. After having been here in the forums for a few months, I now see it may also be the reason why I see many people saying that Mac's are useable for a longer period of time than the typical windows machine.

Any windows hardware enthusiast that's been building his own machines for many years knows, the first place you spend your money is for the fastest processor you can afford. Everything else can be upgraded easily and relatively cheaply down the line. By the time the CPU needs upgrading, typically they have a new socket and so now you also have to get a new mobo. Start doing this, and you might as well build a new machine. The enthusiast that is not buying the fastest CPU, is taking that savings and getting a higher end Mobo and some high end RAM so that he can overclock the CPU to get where he wants to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have read above why windows can be bad , but are there things a pc can do better than a mac? I am expecting "nothing" will be some of the replies, but , I am wondering if I should hang on to my pc too.

I wouldn't throw it away immediately. Keep it and see what happens. If you don't like the Mac or if there are still things you may need the PC for (Games etc) then you'll have it. If in 6 months you have not used it, then get rid of it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have read above why windows can be bad , but are there things a pc can do better than a mac? I am expecting "nothing" will be some of the replies, but , I am wondering if I should hang on to my pc too.

Depends on what type of things you do with your PC. My wife could do fine with a Mac, and the next time I have to fix her machine, I'll be very tempted to get her a 20" iMac. For myself, yes there are some things that there are just no Mac equivalents for at this time and cannot totally eliminate my windows machine. But the Mac in the last 4 months has taken over 95% of my computing time at home.

If you're not in the position of having to sell your PC to get a Mac, would recommend as baggs has, keep your machine for awhile.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Really some games. To me that is the biggest reason for a PC. Games are not a needed thing, but fun and if you want a certain game that is not on a mac, then a PC would be nice.

Do you have any Games or applications you need Windows for? If not it's up to you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was wondering what makes macs so special and/or different wtih graphical editing tasks (video editing, photoshop, flash web design, etc.) ive been in the market for a new computer and been looking at macs, besides looking beautiful and having final cut pro, i cant find a suitable reason to switch. Most macs are priced higher than PCs based on the computer specs. im pretty sure theres more to it tho than just the specs. but wanted to know what are some of the core differences to use a mac over windows for these types of applications.

Sorry encity, looks like we all got way off track from your initial questions and stole your thread. It happens in forums. I don't use the type of video and photo apps you do, so I can't really answer your question on that side of it.

I think jilesjuk had really the best answer for the main differences though.

M

MacHeadCase

Macs have better colour management for one thing. And they have creative graphics in their blood, their history. :girl:

But if you have no suitable reason to switch, why switch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
have read above why windows can be bad , but are there things a pc can do better than a mac?

Yep, games. And maybe obscure video viewing because of the dearth of PC codecs out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
The fact remains that you can get pc hardware for cheaper than mac hardware because of the competitive aspect of the pc market. I can name 10 huge large notebook manufactures off the top of my head that all make similar pcs. Most are trying to out sell the rest and price factors into that. Apple computers has a monoply on hardware to run osx on(legally) and since they're the only ones that make the computers, they can charge what they want without worrying as much about competition as the pc manufactures.

You can even get a pc that will browse the internet, compose word documents, and check e-mail for about $200. You can't get a mac for that cheap. It's not going to have the specs of the mac, but it's more accessable for people that can't afford that price.

You can get a Toyota for a fraction of the cost of an Aston Martin, Ferarri etc.

Both are cars, both will get you somewhere. One will make people drool, the other wont even get noticed.

With Apple you are paying for the smile on your face when you use your computer and when you show people your computer. It's something to be proud of. When I take my Macbook into work, people all gather round and have a look, they wouldn't do this if I had some POS Dell laptop.

There's no "coolness" factor in owning a cheap PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, games. And maybe obscure video viewing because of the dearth of PC codecs out there.

True, but thanks to Wine and much of the work people have done with Windows DLLs, you can play much of the content out there. Only DRMed stuff fails to play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
You can even get a pc that will browse the internet, compose word documents, and check e-mail for about $200. You can't get a mac for that cheap. It's not going to have the specs of the mac, but it's more accessable for people that can't afford that price.

What, a Windows Vista PC, with a screen, for $200?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

There are only two reasons to have a PC:

1. Hardware availablility and the possibility of building your own PC. (This is a disadvantage too, you have the hassle of incompatibilities).

2. Software availability, if Windows doesn't have a piece of software to do something then typically nothing else will.

However Macs already come with decent hardware and software, all the major names have software on the Mac. You also get a lot of Linux free software ported to the Mac which is very useful.

You may struggle with some idiotic streaming websites that have DRM and don't produce a plugin for the Mac.

You can run Windows on your Mac anyway, there's no reason to use beigey rubbish PC hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because I'm using a MBP and an Inspiron e1705 that's that's loaded. I wouldn't attempt to game on the MBP unless I had it hooked up to an external display, and even using photo shop on it isn't very appealing with the screen resolution...I am going to be using it for audio recording though.

And I was just stating a fact that you can get pc hardware for cheaper, I wasn't saying that you could compare the $200pc to a mac.

Laptops aren't much good for games, they overheat and use cutdown processors.

Laptops always have small screens and aren't much use for professional artists.

Laptops have 2.5 inch drives and these aren't very fast for things like audio work.

Sounds like you have the wrong Mac, you should own a 24-inch iMac or a Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does that Sony Legally run OSX 10.4.9? If not I am not interested.

I am in Calif so I would pay tax.

Also, my friend had a Vaio, HAD is the word. Most troublesome machine he ever owned. Always breaking down. Hope the new Vaio's are better. Also seen a lot of Inspiron's die a fast death. If I wanted an XP/Vista machine, I would go for an XPS or Thinkpad.

You are one of the unlucky tax-paying states.
While it does not come with Tiger, there is an optional $400 upgrade to that OS by purchasing the MBP. (THIS IS EXACTLY MY POINT)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
OK, first and final warning to all... ease up on the flaming and bickering.
Those posts that fall under that description have been removed. If it continues past this post, the thread gets locked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, first and final warning to all... ease up on the flaming and bickering.
Those posts that fall under that description have been removed. If it continues past this post, the thread gets locked.

Who was flaming?
I thought this was a fairly intelligent debate. Everyone has been relatively civil up to this point, and I like to get other peoples' perspectives on this matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117355

The best part is that it is from Newegg.com.
So that means:

* no tax in all but 3 states (add another $100 to the MBP price tag to offset it).
* great customer service
* fast shipping

ENJOY!

Ok, so you have $2119.99 on Sale, regularly $2189.99. vs $2499.00 That's what, $379 difference ($310 without the sale)? Not a big difference, but the Sony is cheaper. Interestingly that SAME machine retails at $2528.99 from SONY, very close to the MBPs price directly from Apple.

I can, however, find that same MBP from HEREfor $2344.00 with a rebate, so now the difference is only $225 at best. Again, a VERY similar price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so you have $2119.99 on Sale, regularly $2189.99. vs $2499.00 That's what, $379 difference ($310 without the sale)? Not a big difference, but the Sony is cheaper. Interestingly that SAME machine retails at $2528.99 from SONY, very close to the MBPs price directly from Apple.

I can, however, find that same MBP from HEREfor $2344.00 with a rebate, so now the difference is only $225 at best. Again, a VERY similar price.

Fair enough.

Although at the very least, it is STILL a $225 difference, and that is assuming you get the rebate.

I guess the problem most people have is the limited offerings from Apple. Let me put it this way: I bought the $1300 MB. If Apple had offered a $1450 MB with a dedicated GPU, I would have spent the extra $150 to do so. With Dell/Sony/HP/etc..., you have that option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fair enough.

Although at the very least, it is STILL a $225 difference, and that is assuming you get the rebate.

I guess the problem most people have is the limited offerings from Apple. Let me put it this way: I bought the $1300 MB. If Apple had offered a $1450 MB with a dedicated GPU, I would have spent the extra $150 to do so. With Dell/Sony/HP/etc..., you have that option.

I don't disagree there. Again, this may depend on how one defines "significantly". I don't see the $225 or $310 as significant. As such one can find similarly priced similarly spec'd Dells, Sony's and Macs. As you get down to the lower models, the gap closes even more.

To be honest, I'd buy the Sony or the Mac over the Dell any day of the week. In fact, if were to buy a PC, it would be a Sony.

Reaction score
My 2¢'s worth ....

If you want a top of the range automobile, you will need to shell out the big bucks.
If you want a premium PC, you will also need to shell out the big bucks.

It's a fact of life that the premium PC available at present happens to be an Apple Mac PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.