• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What is your music of escape?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I am literally all over the place.
About the only music I don't like is

1) Anything that sounds angry, whether or not I understand the lyrics
2) Jazz, modern or otherwise (sole exception Dixeland--which I will never understand how it got libeled [no typo here] Jazz)
3) Most classical music (apologies to those who do, but I listen to music to relax, not fall asleep)
4) Cryin in your beer, cheatin on your wife or your wife cheatin on you music ;P ;P ;P
5) Music with lyrics I find offensive (can't think of any examples offhand, but I know it when I hear it)

Off the top of my head songs that make me sing in the shower when I think of them (not all inclusive or in any particular order)

1) My Love - Petula Clark
2) Windmills of the Mind - Petula Clark
3) Impossible Dream - Man a la Mancha
4) A Time for Us - Romeo and Juliet
5) Memories - Cats
6) I Was Made to Love You - TobyMac
7) Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics
8) Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
9) A Kind of Hush - Hermans Hermits
10) Mellow Yellow - Donovan
11) Christmas Canon Rock - Trans Siberian Orchestra
12) Almost anything by the Beatles
13) Ditto for Elvis Presley

Will leave it at that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Normally when it comes to music, I go for " everything louder than everything else ",

but this is the music that makes me happy ..... every time.

Cheers ... McBie

Screen shot 2011-05-20 at 20.34.28.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I am literally all over the place.
About the only music I don't like is

1) Anything that sounds angry, whether or not I understand the lyrics
2) Jazz, modern or otherwise (sole exception Dixeland--which I will never understand how it got libeled [no typo here] Jazz)
3) Most classical music (apologies to those who do, but I listen to music to relax, not fall asleep)
4) Cryin in your beer, cheatin on your wife or your wife cheatin on you music ;P ;P ;P
5) Music with lyrics I find offensive (can't think of any examples offhand, but I know it when I hear it)

Off the top of my head songs that make me sing in the shower when I think of them (not all inclusive or in any particular order)

1) My Love - Petula Clark
2) Windmills of the Mind - Petula Clark
3) Impossible Dream - Man a la Mancha
4) A Time for Us - Romeo and Juliet
5) Memories - Cats
6) I Was Made to Love You - TobyMac
7) Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics
8) Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
9) A Kind of Hush - Hermans Hermits
10) Mellow Yellow - Donovan
11) Christmas Canon Rock - Trans Siberian Orchestra
12) Almost anything by the Beatles
13) Ditto for Elvis Presley

Will leave it at that

Some great pieces of music in there !

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
For me, any Soulful House Music does the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB
-Goo Goo Dolls
-Foo Fighters
-Third Day
-Coldplay
-Beatles
-3 Doors Down
-Three Days Grace
-Decyfer Down

Yep, some of those. :D

C

chas_m

Although my main collection is centred around the 80s (punk, new wave, ska, psych), I do enjoy listening to all kinds of music.

For RELAXING music, I tend to turn to ambient (Brian Eno particularly), medieval/ancient music, Celtic ballads or instrumentals, and some kinds of classical.

For energizing music, I tend to want to hear 80s bands or some of the better stuff from today ... I'm trying not to get too "old and set in my ways." I like indie pop and "college" music still. Always looking for good bands out there, but it's tricky sometimes. It is possible to be both good and popular, as Fleet Foxes and The Decemberists and bands like them have proven, but I must admit I'm at the age where I look at the top 20 or top 40 and don't know -- or care much -- about anyone there.

I also have weird hankerings for bluegrass, "high lonesome" country (none of that poppy modern country, thank you), retro bands like the Squirrel Nut Zippers, novelty acts and other refreshing noises.

Lately I've been seeking out what I will call "REAL soul music," like Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings or Shuggie Otis. I also recently went to a Suzanne Vega concert and fell in love with her all over again.

My all-time musical heroes include the aforementioned Mr. Eno, Mr. Fripp, Mr. Bowie as well as Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson, all the Athens bands of the early 80s and Devo (along with a lot of others, old and new, along those lines).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
The Who
ZZTop
Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix
SRV

Reaction score
Tom Petty
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Stevie Nicks
Green Day
Reba McEntire

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.