• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What is the best source of news in your opinion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I'm asking this because it seems like nearly every news outlet is terrible these days. I recently began reading The Economist and I really believe that it is the best source of news on the planet for 3 reasons.

1.) They have a libertarian point of view that really reflects my views.

2.) I've read 3 issues now and I still haven't had to be tortured with a SINGLE story about Anna Nicole's baby's daddy, Britney Spears' shaved head, or Paris Hilton's legal woes.

3.) There are no "crisis of the week" stories that report about threats to the human population. Not once have I read a story that has made me afraid to go outside without bug spray, or stand under powerlines, or use my cell phone, etc.

So, I'm happy with this news source.

What do you all consider the best place to get your news?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
The best news I get for mac is http://www.looprumors.com/ you will have to check it out for your self. For other news, I just use yahoo, and sometimes aol news.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Personally, I would want to stay away from any news source that is openly bias towards one political side or another. I would prefer to have unbiased news and make decisions for myself. Biased points of view will report certain stories, and leave out others, tell a story, but leave out facts not agreed with or inflate the importance of unimportant information. That kind of news is misleading just makes things worse.

I know that it's impossible for anyone to be completely unbiased, but I'll take whatever news source does it's best to be that way.

I would also prefer a source that doesn't view anything Paris Hilton or Britney Spears does as newsworthy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Best source...

I have a flow of news, and I'll read from all perspectives, biased or otherwise. Sometimes the sources are international.

Probably my favorite source is Google. I use their personalize front page, and have it loaded with Top Stories, Reader (primarily feeding from Slashdot), Macworld, and Weather. When I find a topic on Top Stories I'll look at many sources for the stories and follow them, usually to collect as much information as appropriate.

I also read a couple newspapers - The Washington Times, The Washington Post - for local, national, and international news. I get news from a local news radio station and sometimes their website - WTOP. I also get news from XM, Ch. 166 America Right. I get tech magazines and read those.

I won't use a single source for news.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I know that it's impossible for anyone to be completely unbiased, but I'll take whatever news source does it's best to be that way.

I understand what you're saying. Like mathogre, I use Google news a lot too. I just said that I think The Economist is the best source, it isn't my only source. I agree with you that it is almost impossible to find a source that gives a completely unbaised perspective. I tend to stay away from Fox News because of it's conservative bias and COMPLETE OBSESSION with pointless celebrity news. I mean, have you ever seen an episode of Greta Van Sustren? It'll make your brain turn to mush. I also stay away from CNN because it's owned by Ted Turner and it has a liberal bias.

As Michael Crichton said, "Everyone has an agenda, except me."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
As Michael Crichton said, "Everyone has an agenda, except me."

Good one!

Fox "News" really is odd to me. I'm used to newscasters to be fairly mellow and report the news in a semi-sane manner. Whenever I flip by Fox, I get the feeling it's a kind of satire newscast like "The Daily Show" or "The Colbert Report". The people are really animated and just sound flaky and completely unbelievable.

I guess I never said where I get my news from, but that's easy, MacRumors of course! :)

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Colbert is satirizing Fox on his show and I think he does a great job at it. I agree with him when he makes fun of conservative positions on social issues, but when he makes fun of the economic stuff he just annoys me. Regardless of the fact that he doesn't like capitalism, what he did at the correspondent's dinner took SERIOUS guts, and he gets my respect for that. Saying that stuff when you're ten feet away from Bush is one of the gutsiest things I've ever seen anyone do. I'd rather skydive than criticize policy-makers on their own turf.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Google news for me...and wha'ts wrong w/news about Britney throwing up on herself? ;-)

"If a man has not read a news paper today, he is uninformed. If a man has read a news paper today, then he is misinformed. "

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and wha'ts wrong w/news about Britney throwing up on herself? ;-)

LOL, well, there's nothing wrong with it. But if you watch those stories and really pay close attention you can actually feel your brain liquefy and begin to seep out your ears.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i stick to the new york times when i read the paper
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I read the BBC website. The economist is good for a long flight or something, but I'm too ADD to actually sit down and read it properly otherwise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Can I give you two both a big hug? ^_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
news.google.com

Only because it isn't a single source, just a massive pool of millions of sources.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Facebook's news feed :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
BBC is the one for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
The Daily Show, with John Stewart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Reaction score
I've found it helps to read U.S. news on the Brit sites, and the Brit news on the U.S. sites. It helps to keep the papers' political leanings at bay — unless a rag owned by Murdoch in the States runs a story from a rag owned by Murdoch in Britain. Well, Murdoch or anyone else in the same position. At least Tubby Black is out of the picture — for a while, anyway.

This is my home page. I prefer it to tabs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.