What could cause Safari to do this?

Reaction score
Every other browser can render Google Personalized home correctly, except Safari like to position the search box over to the left? It used to work...

GoogleError.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Try emptying caches and then resetting Safari. Go to the Safari menu in the top left.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Not all browsers are at an equal level of compliance with all the web standards. Could it be that this is one that Safari just isn't rendering properly?

See this link for some illuminating reading: http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2

It does look, from my testing, that Safari passes the Acid2 test, the most rigorous compliance test I am aware of. Still, there may be holes yet...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Actually I ran into another problem w/ Safari and the Google Personalized Home. One of my gadgets (as they call them), "Google Reader (Labs)", doesn't work quiet right. Usually the title for a gadget is a link, and this one is no exception. The link doesn't work in Safari, but works just fine with Firefox. Go figure. My guess is that the new Google themes are just a tad buggy. You might write Google.

Oh, and lest you think this is something just with Macs, I found a problem the other day with Google Personalized Home using Linux and Firefox, an annoyance really, but given that Google runs on Linux, it's almost unconsionable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I find that the usual safari problems have to do with CSS and JavaScript. I bet the centering is being done with css or js, and that safari is wiggin out on it.

See attached. The style of that div is text-align:center. even the table has align=center as a table attribute. But look at the style for div id "doc3" and it is text-align:left. So it may be that safari is honoring the wrapper div style instead. DOH!

All they had to do is wrap the table in a <center> tag. It works, but... welcome to 1998. Thanks again Safari.

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
As I've mentioned in several other posts, the problem is that
a) Safari is based on KDE's KHTML rendering engine
b) Safari is SORELY outdated compared to the current Webkit build
c) Try the nightly build, see if it makes a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the link voiceofra.

What is this nightly build? I downloaded it and launched it (the icon suggests it is Safari) but it just crashes. Is this some form of build of Safari with the latest and greatest rendering engine from KDE?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the link voiceofra.

What is this nightly build? I downloaded it and launched it (the icon suggests it is Safari) but it just crashes. Is this some form of build of Safari with the latest and greatest rendering engine from KDE?

A 'nightly build' is just the latest and (sometimes) greatest code compiled in to a working app.
Builds aren't always stable, but you can always get the previous build or get the next nightly...or stick with the Safari that Apple provides.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, that cleared up my issue with Google Personalize home and Google Reader.

Coolness. I wish Saft would work with the nightlies. One gets used to having it's functionality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
It may not matter to end users, but I couldn't use a nightly build. I have to use the mainstream apps. Because it's what most people are using. I need to see what everyone is seeing - including bugs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So the nightly build should be a fully functional Safari executable? If the one I tried crashed, I should just try another one? Since it crashed, I had no idea whether it was the full app or just a framework portion of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Did you properly drag the Webkit.app file into your Apps folder (or anywhere not in the disk image, really) before running it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I did not! I am used to trying apps first from the dmg before "installing" them. Does this one NEED to be installed before it will run correctly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
voiceofra, I know that you frequently get cut if you try to live on the bleeding edge, and I am guessing I have a little incision from my attempts at the nightly build. Since my failed attempt to run it, Safari no longer shows the nice little icons next to items in my bookmark list. They are all little blue globes now, and no matter how often I visit a site, they stay little blue globes. Is there a way to change this back?

By the way, I downloaded todays build, installed it into Applications properly and tried it again. It still crashed. It offered me the chance to retry the launch and I took it. The second time it comes up and stays up. Each time I start it, I have to go through the initial crash before it will stay. So, it is of limited value for now, unless it has installed some base components elsewhere in the system...

OP
M
Reaction score
I didn't use the application from http://nightly.webkit.org/.

Go to WebKit.org and follow the instructions under 'Working with the Code' over on the left to get the code, build it, then point Safari to that version of the webkit. You will need Xcode to do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
You might also try repairing Disk Permissions as a measure against the crashing thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.