What can the iPad do for Media Students

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm very interested in maybe getting one of these new devices and was wandering what it can do for me. I'm a media student who makes films and was wandering what kind of apps or accessories the iPad will have that will have me with making my films.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No one here knows. None of us have ever touched one yet. All we know are what you can find from reading the reviews of those that got to check it out for 15 minutes, one time.

On top of that, even if we did know what it's fully capable of or not capable of, you have provided nothing in the way of what you would like to do with the device.

As to whether or not it can be of benefit to you, I would suggest this question would be better asked after it has been out for at least a couple of weeks and there are some that have become familiar with it.

Until then, imho, everything else is so much hot air.
As for my own hot air opinion, I doubt seriously that it can do anything that will help with making films.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
I'd rather get this than an iPad anyday:

Axiotron : Modbook

Have some actual computing power under the hood rather than a glorified e-reader/iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well tell us how it is when you get one. As you'll be the first on Mac-Forums actually own one.

Reaction score
I'd rather get this than an iPad anyday:

Axiotron : Modbook

Have some actual computing power under the hood rather than a glorified e-reader/iPhone.

I agree with Chud.

I would love tho to be able to take notes on an iPad like you can do with the Modbook.

The Modbook is, well, a real laptop with a huge screen that does not have the practical side of the iPad that is really made for using on the go because it's light and small.

This is why if you want something that an iPad cannot do, don't buy one lol.

I'm tired....sorry.

C

chas_m

I agree with Chud.

I would love tho to be able to take notes on an iPad like you can do with the Modbook.

And why wouldn't you be able to do that?

The Modbook is, well, a real laptop with a huge screen that does not have the practical side of the iPad that is really made for using on the go because it's light and small.

Yes, a Modbook is perfect, which is why so many people here have one.

Oh wait ... NOBODY here has one. 95,000 members, and NOT A SINGLE ONE has bought a Modbook.

I wonder why?

As for the OP's question, it may be "hot air" but since the iPad can run almost any iPhone app, there's bound to be SOMETHING on the App Store already that assists filmmakers, and if there isn't -- maybe I should write a "digital clapboard" type app! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It can help you watch your movies :p

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
And why wouldn't you be able to do that?

Oh wait ... NOBODY here has one. 95,000 members, and NOT A SINGLE ONE has bought a Modbook.

I wonder why?

That makes me curious because I've seen the ads in MacWorld (I'm a subscriber) and from time to time thought it looked like a neat idea (though not for me). Anyway, that brings me to two questions:

1) If nobody here has one, who are they selling to?
2) If they aren't selling any, how can they afford to advertize (or even stay in business)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
That is a good question . I have not myself nor have I talked to anyone who has seen one in the wild.

Clay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

I wonder why?

Their miffed because Apple hasn't figured out how to make a 15" MacBook Pro with:
2 additional USB ports
a SD card reader
put a DVI port back on it
keep all the ports it has now
must add two 6MP cameras also... one in front and one in the back
upgrade it to the i7,
standard with 8GB RAM
add a touchscreen to it
reduce the weight by 80%
be able to watch a movie, video chat, re-encode another video and browse facebook with flash...
all simultaneously
while getting at least 18 hours battery life
for $500

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That makes me curious because I've seen the ads in MacWorld (I'm a subscriber) and from time to time thought it looked like a neat idea (though not for me). Anyway, that brings me to two questions:

1) If nobody here has one, who are they selling to?
2) If they aren't selling any, how can they afford to advertize (or even stay in business)?

Don't have any idea how big a company they are. But, a small 2-3 man shop could enjoy a fairly nice life style putting out only 35-50 units a month.

Reaction score
Their miffed because Apple hasn't figured out how to make a 15" MacBook Pro with:
2 additional USB ports
a SD card reader
put a DVI port back on it
keep all the ports it has now
must add two 6MP cameras also... one in front and one in the back
upgrade it to the i7,
standard with 8GB RAM
add a touchscreen to it
reduce the weight by 80%
be able to watch a movie, video chat, re-encode another video and browse facebook with flash...
all simultaneously
while getting at least 18 hours battery life
for $500

I don't really understand what your point is here...

C

chas_m

1. It's not a secret that the iPad can run almost all iPhone apps as-is (or pixel-doubled). There are plenty of notes apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch, ergo there are notes apps for the iPad.

2. There's an actual Notes app *from Apple* included in the default software set of the iPad, which you can see by just *looking at the picture of it* on Apple's web page. It works exactly like the one on the iPhone/iPod Touch, except that you can use a keyboard with it if you like (or not).

Coincidental to this discussion, just yesterday I happened to notice an app on the App Store called "Rehearsal" that is intended to help actors study/memorise their lines. So there's yet another app that could help "Media Students" on an iPad (since those lines will be a lot easier to read on that larger screen!).

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Don't have any idea how big a company they are. But, a small 2-3 man shop could enjoy a fairly nice life style putting out only 35-50 units a month.

Very good point! I hadn't considered the cottage industry aspect of this.

BTW: For any that might be interested, I posted a follow-up in another thread on the comic collection I ordered in anticipation of my new iPad

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.