What are the pitfalls for installing OS X on G4 400mhz.

S

sonnysummers

At work my boss has a G4 400 Mhz Mac with I think 1.56gigs of Ram. His system runs irritatingly slow, and my question is it because it is running OS X. If it is, is there anyway to speed it up without going back to OS 9.

OP
N

nicholas

Remove all unneeded programs and files, then run a disk utility program (such as Norton's Disk Doctor), repair permissions, and then finally, a disk defragmenter. That oughtta speed things up a tad.

OP
A

adamburgess

I have OS 10.3 on my G4/400 and it runs great. Even ProTools and the odd game. Just keep the Mac tidy.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
nicholas said:
Remove all unneeded programs and files, then run a disk utility program (such as Norton's Disk Doctor), repair permissions, and then finally, a disk defragmenter. That oughtta speed things up a tad.

I agree and disagree. First I would not even try to use any norton products with OS X, disk warrior is better. If you are running the journaled file system you don't need to defrag.

I don't recall seeing any defrag program for unix systems. Also make sure you maintain small system logs. Use some program like macjanitor to roll over the log files.

OP
N

nicholas

Norton utililities contains a defrag program. And yes, diswarrior is better, and I use that in conjuction with Norton disk doctor. I don't know why you dislike norton, Rman, they are a solid company with a solid product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I concur, a 400 MHz Mac is plenty fast to zip along in OS X, so it's not the processor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I had the same trouble, with a 450MHz G4 running 10.1
After upgrading to 10.3, it ran nice and fast again, so I would suggest you uprade to the latest OS X Panther version (10.3.4)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.